IGNORED

The Gamecube

sandman

It's not doing too well in Holland either. The PS2 is the Big One, the Xbox is very popular by late teens/early twenties and (ex)PC gamers and has gained a lot of popularity in the last year or so. The Cube is losing shelfspace all the time and getting put back further away in the stores. Most people that I know that bought one are either parents of Pokemon-hungry children and fans of the older Nintendo systems, and most of them are pretty disappointed by the Cube's lineup.

The old Dutch test, as marketing experts call it. If you don't crack Holland, you're fucked.

In case of music, this is/was true. With videogames I'm not so sure. We don't have a rich videogame-culture like the British for example. You've got dedicated stores and stuff like that, over here the games are just another corner in a toy-or musicstore, with staff that hardly know anything about it. And our magazines are crap too, all resulting in an uneducated buying public.

Resi 4 i think is going to do that, have you seen that game running, it's beautiful, with the right marketing(maybe something along the lines of the orignal PS1 games) it'd be huge.

Also Killer 7, there is really some amazing stuff coming up for the cube, better IMO than the other two.

Killer 7 is no longer a Cube exclusive. The title is also being released on the PlayStation2.

Some people have already hit on most of this..

You can't call the GameCube a failure. It was heading that way a few years back, because even though Super Mario Sunshine shifted a fair amount of consoles to non-Nintendo-fanboys, I think the average consumer was fairly disappointed by it. Too hard for the kiddies, and too kiddie in style for your average gamer.

This is one area Sega got right with Sonic Heroes. Yeah, pretty average game, but they knew who they were selling to, and as a result, the title is still selling very well months on.

The GameCube's fortune rose around the time quality titles like F Zero GX came along. As I remember, there was a sudden rush of GameCube exclusive titles or all genres that appeared on the console, and gave the Cube more shelf space and attention.

However, since then, attention has yet again slumped.

It's not a failure, but it's in 2nd place in Japan, and 3rd in the States and Europe. That's not what Nintendo would have hoped for. Evidence of this is the fact that Ninty's next console isn't going to be called the GameCube 2. They're dropping the brand completely, and a wise move, considering they never really built it up in the first place.

GoldenEye is a fantastic example. A top game, and a top exclusive license. That won't happen for the GameCube, because the market has changed. Any license worth having has been snapped up by EA or Atari for cross-market appeal, and Nintendo don't seem to have the ability to promote any AAA titles they do have to the mass-market.

However, I don't think that AAA title has appeared yet. It may well do later on, but even then I don't think it will have the effect of turning the console's fortunes around, for reasons stated above.

I wonder if Metroid Prime could have been that AAA title if things went different in marketing or perception. It IS a brilliant game. It DOES a lot of new things, and it does them very, very well. It's definitely one of my favourite games this generation, but there seems to be a lot of hate for this game as well.

No chance. Brilliant though it is, it is not a mass market game. Neither for that matter is Halo, really, even though it's the best game this generation. Mass market these days has to be set in the real world (or at least a close approximation of one hence GTA3) or be based on a popular cultural phenomenon - yer Harry Potter and what not.

Mass market will never buy into Sci-Fi styled gaming. Which is strange when you consider how big Sci Fi and Fantasy are in other media. It is odd that the one thing gaming can do is lift you out of the mundane world as easy as pie, and yet the massmarket, the workers, the normal people who do a normal 9-5 job just want to replicate something else in the real world. You'd think that they would have had enough of it and want to branch out. The success of the Playstation, the lack of success of Nintendo's cherished brands outside of their core audience, and the success of such things as GTA, Need for Speed, Medal of Honor etc show that this isn't the case though.

Odd.

And RE4 will not be a killer app for the cube.

No chance. Brilliant though it is, it is not a mass market game. Neither for that matter is Halo, really, even though it's the best game this generation. Mass market these days has to be set in the real world (or at least a close approximation of one hence GTA3) or be based on a popular cultural phenomenon - yer Harry Potter and what not.

Mass market will never buy into Sci-Fi styled gaming. Which is strange when you consider how big Sci Fi and Fantasy are in other media. It is odd that the one thing gaming can do is lift you out of the mundane world as easy as pie, and yet the massmarket, the workers, the normal people who do a normal 9-5 job just want to replicate something else in the real world. You'd think that they would have had enough of it and want to branch out. The success of the Playstation, the lack of success of Nintendo's cherished brands outside of their core audience, and the success of such things as GTA, Need for Speed, Medal of Honor etc show that this isn't the case though.

Odd.

And RE4 will not be a killer app for the cube.

Halo IS mass-market though. Most people that come into a game store know what Halo is, and have probably played it.

Again, sci-fi is not a problem, see the top grossing films (Star Wars, Alien etc), people want to be someone else. It doesn't matter about the setting.

In a way, Halo is the Goldeneye of this generation, and has sold consoles to people I would expect to stick to their PS2s for the rest of their lives. Or at least the PlayStation brand anyway.

The Final Fantasy games also show how sci-fi games sell extraordinarily well. In fact, most sci-fi games sell very well.

If you're going to point out some 'main' titles, and ignore everything else, then obviously the success will cloud your judgement, but take a look at what really is selling. Halo sold many millions of Xboxes, and countless other games have also been very popular on all the consoles (sci-fi and fantasy games).

It's not a failure, but it's in 2nd place in Japan, and 3rd in the States and Europe. That's not what Nintendo would have hoped for. Evidence of this is the fact that Ninty's next console isn't going to be called the GameCube 2. They're dropping the brand completely, and a wise move, considering they never really built it up in the first place.

Rubbish. They've never kept a name continuing aside from the NES, and even then it was classed as a Super NES. They don't do numbers. It'll probably be the Revolution, or something equally 'strong'.

Halo IS mass-market though.  Most people that come into a game store know what Halo is, and have probably played it.

Again, sci-fi is not a problem, see the top grossing films (Star Wars, Alien etc), people want to be someone else.  It doesn't matter about the setting.

In a way, Halo is the Goldeneye of this generation, and has sold consoles to people I would expect to stick to their PS2s for the rest of their lives.  Or at least the PlayStation brand anyway.

The Final Fantasy games also show how sci-fi games sell extraordinarily well.  In fact, most sci-fi games sell very well. 

If you're going to point out some 'main' titles, and ignore everything else, then obviously the success will cloud your judgement, but take a look at what really is selling.  Halo sold many millions of Xboxes, and countless other games have also been very popular on all the consoles (sci-fi and fantasy games).

Halo is not mass market. Yes it has sold several million and was responsible for getting the Xbox off to a good start, but beyond that...? You're confusing popular and sold well with mass market. And you're also confusing the general public with people who come into a games store. Sure, people who go into a games store will predominately heard of Halo, but next time some middle aged mother comes in looking for a present for little johnny, ask her if she's heard of Harry Potter or Halo. There's the difference.

And they don't do numbers for consoles, do they?

N64.

What was that great quote by Howard Lincoln... Something along the lines of how the Playstation would never deliver a game as good as the N64 as it only had 32 bits compared to 64. Something like that. Don't do number, my arse!

Halo is not mass market. Yes it has sold several million and was responsible for getting the Xbox off to a good start, but beyond that...? You're confusing popular and sold well with mass market. And you're also confusing the general public with people who come into a games store. Sure, people who go into a games store will predominately heard of Halo, but next time some middle aged mother comes in looking for a present for little johnny, ask her if she's heard of Harry Potter or Halo. There's the difference.

And they don't do numbers for consoles, do they?

N64.

What was that great quote by Howard Lincoln... Something along the lines of how the Playstation would never deliver a game as good as the N64 as it only had 32 bits compared to 64. Something like that. Don't do number, my arse!

General public DO come into games stores, especially over Christmas. Buying presents for little Jimmy.

Halo is one title, Harry Potter is a wide medium, released on tape, CD, book, DVD, game, etc.

Arr, I can't be bothered right now. I need a wash.

By numbers I mean sequels to consoles, like PS2, PS3, etc.

Gameboy.

Gameboy Pocket.

Gameboy Colour.

Gameboy Advance.

Gameboy Advance SP.

You said they don't keep the same name. Try to get it right.

I wasn't taking into account handhelds, which is a market they own. They have no competition.

Going along the lines of home consoles, which they need to innovate in and be proficient in.

Halo is one title, Harry Potter is a wide medium, released on tape, CD, book, DVD, game, etc.

Exactly the point I am getting at. That is the definition of mass market. Halo is just a game (although it does have books too). The Playstation is now mass market as well as the name is synonymous with gaming. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I wonder if Metroid Prime could have been that AAA title if things went different in marketing or perception. It IS a brilliant game. It DOES a lot of new things, and it does them very, very well. It's definitely one of my favourite games this generation, but there seems to be a lot of hate for this game as well.

Metroid Prime requires too much effort to have true mass market appeal.

I remember raving about it to my friends, and answering thier questions as they got more and more excited.

"What's the multiplayer like?"

"Uh, it doesn't have one."

"What, why not? All first person shooters have multiplayer modes."

"It's not a first person shooter."

So, I'd try to explain why it wasn't strictly an FPS, I'd bring them round to my house, show them it, and they'd coo at the graphics. As soon as I put the controller in thier hands, they'd lost it again.

"What's the C-stick doing? Why can't I move?"

"Oh, you have to hold R and..."

"Oooh, Medal of Honor is out."

Compare that to Goldeneye's "That moves, that shoots." and it's no wonder people couldn't be bothered with Metroid Prime.

Halo not a mass market game?

Madness. If Microsoft hadn't made Halo mass market game, then the Xbox would never have become a mass market console.

As mass market as anything can be. Anyone studying any form of Marketing will know that mass-marketing is a myth these days. No game is fully mass market. But Halo is one of them that comes as close as any other.

And certainly, there are no restrictions that the game has to be set in the real world to be mass market. Madness.

Halo not a mass market game?

Madness. If Microsoft hadn't made Halo mass market game, then the Xbox would never have become a mass market console.

As mass market as anything can be. Anyone studying any form of Marketing will know that mass-marketing is a myth these days. No game is fully mass market. But Halo is one of them that comes as close as any other.

And certainly, there are no restrictions that the game has to be set in the real world to be mass market. Madness.

The Xbox isn't a mass market console. The only ones that come close are the Gameboy and the Playstation 1 and 2. Halo may have sold well to gamers but it's done very little to bring in anyone from outside the gaming faternity. IMO, of course.