IGNORED

The Gamecube

sandman

While it has had great games, the Cubes days here are numbered, they are constantly traded in more then any other console and the games just don't sell, new or used.

Game, Virgin, HMV and Dixons are all dumping their Gamecube stock as much as they can. I got three Memory card 251s for £14 total this week :blink: Why did I buy them? Seduced by a bargain I guess, and thinking ahead to when I have AC, AC2, Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario 2 savegames all going at the same time :blink:

The Xbox isn't a mass market console. The only ones that come close are the Gameboy and the Playstation 1 and 2. Halo may have sold well to gamers but it's done very little to bring in anyone from outside the gaming faternity. IMO, of course.

Mate, mass-market doesn't mean being the best selling console. It means appealing to all sectors of the gaming genre, in some way or another.

The Xbox started out being for the hardcore only. Then they targetted the PC fraternity with Xbox Live et al (which was basically the aim of the Xbox anyway - to drag PC gamers away from the PC), then with Blinx: The Time Sweeper and other titles, they targetted the kiddie and family sector. Successful platformers such as Sonic Heroes have further cemented this market.

With gaming, pretty much the only market left is the casual gamer - lads from puberty to their late 20's. With the bringing across of the Grand Theft Auto Double Pack and the amazing sales success of Splinter Cell, the Xbox now ticks all boxes.

I'm not saying it's the top choice for all these different areas of the market, but the fact is that it caters for and markets towards all of them. In marketing terms, it is a mass-market gaming console.

Halo is a different matter. Exclusively targetted at the hardcore and PC market in it's first year (or maybe even longer), the title was such a success that my mum even knows what Halo is these days. In marketing terms, I'm sure Bungie were just aiming at these first two groups. But Microsoft capitalised on its success by feeding news to all sectors, along with word of mouth. Whatever the reason, it is a mass market hit - probably even more than GoldenEye, purely because gaming is a more acceptable part of our culture these days.

(On a side issue, the original Gameboy or following GBA were most certainly not mass-market consoles. The SP went some way to changing that, and the marketing material put out by Nintendo certainly suggests they want it to appeal to all, but the actual games on it don't, so despite its impressive sales I'm uncovinced they've got there. Pokemon has a lot to answer for.. )

Mate, mass-market doesn't mean being the best selling console. It means appealing to all sectors of the gaming genre, in some way or another.

The Xbox started out being for the hardcore only. Then they targetted the PC fraternity with Xbox Live et al (which was basically the aim of the Xbox anyway - to drag PC gamers away from the PC), then with Blinx: The Time Sweeper and other titles, they targetted the kiddie and family sector. Successful platformers such as Sonic Heroes has further cemented this market.

With gaming, pretty much the only market left is the casual gamer - lads from puberty to their late 20's. The bringing across of Grand Theft Auto Double Pack and the amazing sales success of Splinter Cell, the Xbox now ticks all boxes.

I'm not saying it's the top choice for all these different areas of the market, but the fact is that it caters and markets towards all of them. In marketing terms, it is a mass-market gaming console.

Halo is a different matter. Exclusively targetted at the hardcore and PC market in it's first year (or maybe even longer), the title was such a success that my mum even knows what Halo is these days. In marketing terms, I'm sure Bungie were just aiming at these first two groups. But Microsoft capitalised on its success by feeding news to all sectors, along with word of mouth. Whatever the reason, it is a mass market hit - probably even more than GoldenEye, purely because gaming is a more acceptable part of our culture these days.

(On a side issue, the original Gameboy or following GBA were most certainly not mass-market consoles. The SP went some way to changing that, and the marketing material put out by Nintendo certainly suggests they want it to appeal to all, but the actual games on it don't, so I'm uncovinced they've got there, despite its impressive sales. Pokemon has a lot to answer for.. )

Mass market in my books means appealing to everyone - even non gamers. In that respect that Xbox ain't even close. It may offer games that cater to most gameplayers tastes (although that's debatable with its lack of shmups and decent 2D fighters for instance) but it doesn't offer something that will draw in the real mass market, the general public or those that only give gaming a cursory glance. Where's it Singstars and Eye Toy's?

And your mum probably knows about Halo for the same reason my mum does; because her son plays it and raved about it.

Can somebody tell me a top 10.

anything? Top-10.gif

I'd assume Sunhine, Metroid, FZeroGX and Zelda would make the grades.

5 others (but not Ikaruga - i have a DC)

What about Starfox or some nice arcade Space shooter (Star Wars?)

Animal Crossing, viewtiful Joe, Beyond Good & Evil, Pikmin, Ace Golf, super Monkey Ball that's 6 and there's more... probably :blink:

My dad (57) wants a GameCube, because he likes Super Monkey Ball. While he finds most modern games either too fast, too complex or too narrative-driven, he likes the fact he can just pick up the joypad and play without learning difficult button-combo's, wading through menu's and following an 20 hour story. This is not just a complaint of my dad, but something I hear more often from non/ex-gamers.

Which brings me to the fact that there are so few of those games. Even Nintendo games are complex, the FLUDD in Mario Sunshine, all the menu's of Zelda and the RPG-stuff of Pokemon are pretty daunting to non/very casual players.

Xbox Live might offer a solution here with it's Live Arcade scheme it's setting up now. Easy accessable games and old classics all selectable for download. For people like my dad, it would be perfect. Are there enough people like that to make it worthwhile?

Mass market in my books means appealing to everyone - even non gamers..

Mate, no console appeals to people who don't play games. When I say 'gamer', I mean anyone who buys and plays computer/console games.

Not even the PlayStation appeals to people who don't like games or gaming.

So when I say the Xbox is a mass-market console, I mean it markets towards and has games for all types of gamers. Whether they consider them to be the best, or decide that another console would be better for them, well then thats a different matter. But there is no gamer the Xbox doesn't try to reach out for.

People who buy titles like Singstar and EyeToy are still gamers, just more casual. These two excellent Sony titles are aimed at families and casual gamers. The Xbox has titles such as Dance Dance Revolution: Ultimate (or whatever the version for Xbox is.. not really my bag) and Xbox Music Mixer. Now, these two titles might not be as good as the Sony versions, but they still cater for the same market. Again, I say, the Xbox just like its rival PlayStation2 markets at every gaming genre these days.

Companies never do this all at once. The PlayStation2 wasn't a mass market console when it was launched. Sony followed a marketing plan, marketing the console in different ways as it went along its lifecycle. From the Third Place, to Fun, anyone? The Xbox is following the same trend, but perhaps not in quite a polished manner as the more experienced Sony.

anything?

I've not got into shares yet, but i'm about to, so thanks.

Animal Crossing, viewtiful Joe, Beyond Good & Evil, Pikmin, Ace Golf, super Monkey Ball that's 6 and there's more... probably

Thanks,....

Super Monkey Ball!

Ha! forgot about that. Finally i get to play Segas only really good game in, err Ages.

I'll wait for a Ps2 version of vietiful, thanks, its cheaper.

Thats what great about buying a console so late, you can see what you missed and think, yes, i rememeber that now!

(OH no, excitement! - God. I'm old)

Animal Crossing, viewtiful Joe, Beyond Good & Evil, Pikmin, Ace Golf, super Monkey Ball that's 6 and there's more... probably  :blink:

And then maybe Eternal Darkness, Smash Bros Melee, Mario kart, Bomberman Generation and Mario Party (the last bunch specifically for multiplayer fun :(). Starfox is a bit shit, actually. Namco (IIRC?) are developing a Starfox shoot-em-up sequel which will be out later this year.

Can anybody recommend anymore GC platformers for me? I've had Mario Sunshine, Zelda and Starfox- I also have PoP, Beyond Good and Evil and Rayman 3 on other formats. What else could I try, seeing as Starfox is already getting pretty tiresome?

EDIT: Oh, and I love Sonic games- but if I ever have to even look at those shitty Sonic Adventure/Heroes games again I'll probably go fucking berserk :blink:

I feel that the GameBoy is definitely a mass-market console though. Tetris got mums playing it.

Mass-market is pulling in as many audiences as possible, including non-gamers. How do you think they're drawn in?

Singstar is appealing to young girls (it's advertised in Sugar! I had to buy it for my media exam...honest...), and just party-type people in general. With the Eyetoy appealing to everyone, who'll play it on their grand/son's console.

Hmm.

I feel that the GameBoy is definitely a mass-market console though. Tetris got mums playing it.

Mass-market is pulling in as many audiences as possible, including non-gamers. How do you think they're drawn in?

Singstar is appealing to young girls (it's advertised in Sugar! I had to buy it for my media exam...honest...), and just party-type people in general. With the Eyetoy appealing to everyone, who'll play it on their grand/son's console.

Hmm.

You see what I'm getting at.

Boyatsea, No offence but I think we're discussing two different things here. I see your point that the Xbox has something to cater for all gamers, but I'm trying to get over the point that it has nothing,and certainly not Halo, to entice people beyond that tag to come and try it. Nothing. It's not a mass market console and it never will be. IMO, of course.

Oh, and Gamecube essential 10:

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 0

Metroid Prime

Eternal Darkness

Super Monkey Ball

Luigi's mansion

Beyond Good and Evil

Winning Eleven 6:FE

Wario Ware

Zelda TWW

and if you wanna remove BG+E as it's mulitformat, then go for either 1080 Avalanche or Wave Race: Blue Storm.

hey I may yet grow to like it. It was worth the money I paid for it for the FMV and the music :blink: shows how much I paid for it.

You should try the multiplayer with 3 friends then.

B to charge your attacks. C stick for smash attacks. A and a direction for charged smash attack. Right trigger to block and air dodge (I think).

It's great. :blink:

You see what I'm getting at.

Boyatsea, No offence but I think we're discussing two different things here. I see your point that the Xbox has something to cater for all gamers, but I'm trying to get over the point that it has nothing,and certainly not Halo, to entice people beyond that tag to come and try it. Nothing. It's not a mass market console and it never will be. IMO, of course.

People are noticing the Xbox as the successor to the PS2 though. And are buying one instead of their old PS2s.

Halo has sold many a console. And appeals to a wide audience no matter how you look at it. Halo 2 has many many people interested, and will definitely be a big make or break title.

Just to make sure...

Pfft.

Viewtiful Joe is all style over substance and ultimately dull. FZero is initially very good but pales quite quickly. And SMS is nowhere near as good TWW. Not even in the same league.

And leave the RE games alone, or me and you will have words, sonny! :blink:

Just to make sure...

Oh, and Gamecube essential 10:

Resident Evil << WRONG

Resident Evil 0 << WRONG

Metroid Prime

Eternal Darkness

Super Monkey Ball

Luigi's mansion

Beyond Good and Evil

Wario Ware

Zelda TWW << WRONG

>> Super Mario Sunshine

>> Viewtiful Joe

>> F-Zero GX

And again:

Eternal Darkness

Super Monkey Ball 2

Luigi's mansion

Beyond Good and Evil

Wario Ware

Viewtiful Joe

F-Zero GX

!! Super Smash Bros Melee

!! Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life

and if you wanna remove BG+E as it's mulitformat, then go for either 1080 Avalanche or Wave Race: Blue Storm.

I was thinking about Wave Race, but its not 'as' good as the N64 orignal is it?

I love Jetski/Watersport games (ha!) but have just bought Carve for the Xbox, so i dunno.