IGNORED

The Gamecube

sandman

I'll wait for a Ps2 version of vietiful, thanks, its cheaper.

Cheaper than £15?

If NTSC games are on the agenda then add Zelda Four Swords and Tales of Symphonia in a weeks time. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is probably worth a look too.

You see what I'm getting at.

Boyatsea, No offence but I think we're discussing two different things here. I see your point that the Xbox has something to cater for all gamers, but I'm trying to get over the point that it has nothing,and certainly not Halo, to entice people beyond that tag to come and try it. Nothing. It's not a mass market console and it never will be. IMO, of course.

Well, I have to disagree with your opinion.

New gamers are created everyday. Perhaps via Singstar, or Dance Dance Revolution on the Xbox.

There is no such thing as a mass market console. There is no such thing as a mass market anything. But the Xbox is as close to that ideal as any console. Certainly closer than the GameCube.

There is no such thing as a mass market console.

Arguably true.

There is no such thing as a mass market anything.

Confusing ...

But the Xbox is as close to that ideal as any console. Certainly closer than the GameCube.

Baffling.

Arguably true.

Confusing ...

Baffling.

Marketers would tell you, that because of the way the human race has expanded, nothing is mass market.

I remember being told that the closest we can get to a mass-market product these days is petrol. But its not fully, because not everyone drives.

The mass-market doesn't exist.

But in the gaming world, the Xbox and PlayStation2 appeal to every kind of gamer, or potential gamer, that is out there, so they are as close to mass-market as a console can get.

They can't appeal to people who will never want to play games though. Just like tampons will never appeal to boys. So neither can ever be described as mass-market.

They can't appeal to people who will never want to play games though. Just like tampons will never appeal to boys. So neither can ever be described as mass-market.

"Can I have one of your sweets?" :blink:

Marketers would tell you, that because of the way the human race has expanded, nothing is mass market.

I have never met a marketing person who I can imagine uttering those words. And I've met a few.

I remember being told that the closest we can get to a mass-market product these days is petrol. But its not fully, because not everyone drives.

They privatised water you know.

The mass-market doesn't exist.

See above, FWIW.

But in the gaming world, the Xbox and PlayStation2 appeal to every kind of gamer, or potential gamer, that is out there, so they are as close to mass-market as a console can get.

In your opinion. Sorry love, but that's all you can say with any certainty without making yourself look either biased or just a bit of a pillock.

As I said earlier, arguably true.

When the N64 was out it seemed a failure on the sales front to me and everybody I knew.

It was stuck at the back of Eb/Game and when you perused the N64 shelves in any game shop you felt very alone. A few feet away people buzzed around the Playstation bit, chatting and drinking champagne as they toasted the success of the console they loved.

Sound familiar

Of course it does. Fast forward a few years and here we are all over again.

Except, the N64 actually sold a lot of consoles and is still one of the top ten sellers of all time.

So, is the GC stealthily selling by the bucketload? I hope so even if, at the mo, I am not playing it much ( stuck on that stupid hands boss fight on WW ).

Or is the GC a relative failure for Nintendo after all?

Mine's stealthily gathering dust.

Ohhh, which reminds me, PN03 is cool too

I saw that too. Worth a tenner? I seem to remember the reviews weren't very good.

Oh, and they've also got Resident Evil for £10 and Resident Evil Zero for £13. If you're a fan of the series then they're definately worth picking up.

I have never met a marketing person who I can imagine uttering those words. And I've met a few.

They privatised water you know.

See above, FWIW.

In your opinion. Sorry love, but that's all you can say with any certainty without making yourself look either biased or just a bit of a pillock.

As I said earlier, arguably true.

You can call me a pillock all you want mate, but thats not a very strong arguement.

Mass-market means APPEALING TO EVERYONE. Everyone, mate. How can a console appeal to everyone? From your Gran to the nutter who lives down the street. Gaming has never been mass market.

Next time you see one of the many marketers you know, ask them their feelings about the existance of a mass market these days. I'm sure you'll have an interesting debate; nothing is set in stone - I'm simply going on what I've learnt.

(And water isn't mass market either - for instance, students don't even pay for water, for one.)

You can call me a pillock all you want mate, but thats not a very strong arguement.

Mass-market means APPEALING TO EVERYONE. Everyone, mate. How can a console appeal to everyone? From your Gran to the nutter who lives down the street. Gaming never has been mass market.

you have no basis beyond personal opinion for implying the Xbox is more "mass market" than the GameCube. IMO that makes you at worst a bit of a pillock. You can spare me any more definitions of mass market, I never took issue with that, maybe you try reading next time before you post?

Next time you see one of the many marketers you know, ask them their feelings about the existance of a mass market these days. I'm sure you'll have an interesting debate; nothing is set in stone - I'm simply going on what I've learnt.

The marketers I have met are to a man or woman idiots who couldn't debate at primary school level. That's why they're in marketing.

(And water isn't mass market either - for instance, students don't even pay for water, for one.)

That's subsidy. Someone still pays for it. Do you see?

you have no basis beyond personal opinion for implying the Xbox is more "mass market" than the GameCube. IMO that makes you at worst a bit of a pillock. You can spare me any more definitions of mass market, I never took issue with that, maybe you try reading next time before you post?

The marketers I have met are to a man or woman idiots who couldn't debate at primary school level. That's why they're in marketing.

That's subsidy. Someone still pays for it. Do you see?

Well of course it's an opinion. That's kinda given mate. No one's word is gospel. So yeah, its my opinion that the Xbox is aimed at more markets than the GameCube.

I thought we were all adult enough to realise that whatever is said is purely an opinion. And that is mine.

Secondly, I should take offence at your marketing comment, seeing as I'm planning to work in Advertising.. but, it's your opinion :blink:

And lastly, being a student myself, as well as not paying for my water bills, I don't chose the supplier either, or receive any promotions from the water companies. The water companies market at the landlords, so they supply water in bulk. A bit like marketing for a company.

Therefore, water is not mass-market either.

(Never mind homeless people :blink:)

Marketing is all about finding a need, providing a service, and targeting the appropriate markets for that service. The bill for my water may well be paid, but the water companies target the landlords, and THAT is the marketing element of the equation.

This is confusing. How can they appeal to every potential gamer when we don't know what further innovations will be developed that may bring in more non-gamers. Games such as The Sims, DDR, Eye Toy, Animal Crossing, etc appealed to people that didn't normally play games and as such broadened the market.

Developers are starting to realise the importance of these kinds of titles and we'll begin to see more and more games that have a wider appeal outside of the current demographic. The industry is still finding it's feet and as it develops we'll find more ways to play.

With regards to mass market, I think you're being overly pedantic. No, games will probably never appeal to every single person on the planet but we're talking mass market in the way TV, films, music, etc are in that they're a popular form of entertainment the average person.

Well of course it's an opinion. That's kinda given mate. No one's word is gospel. So yeah, its my opinion that the Xbox is aimed at more markets than the GameCube.

I thought we were all adult enough to realise that whatever is said is purely an opinion. And that is mine.

Not everything is opinion, statements can of course be proven to be factual. I don't believe you've succeeded in presenting a very convincing case in this instance. If it was simply an opinion, then that's different, but glad we've clarified that.

Secondly, I should take offence at your marketing comment, seeing as I'm planning to work in Advertising.. but, it's your opinion :blink:

And lastly, being a student myself, as well as not paying for my water bills, I don't chose the supplier either, or receive any promotions from the water companies. The water companies market at the landlords, so they supply water in bulk. A bit like marketing for a company.

Therefore, water is not mass-market either.

(Never mind homeless people :blink:)

You still need that commodity. While you may not have any direct contact with the supplier, you still choose where you live and as a result who supplies you with something that you need. Therefore water is mass market. FWIW.

This is confusing. How can they appeal to every potential gamer when we don't know what further innovations will be developed that may bring in more non-gamers. Games such as The Sims, DDR, Eye Toy, Animal Crossing, etc appealed to people that didn't normally play games and as such broadened the market.

Developers are starting to realise the importance of these kinds of titles and we'll begin to see more and more games that have a wider appeal outside of the current demographic. The industry is still finding it's feet and as it develops we'll find more ways to play.

With regards to mass market, I think you're being overly pedantic. No, games will probably never appeal to every single person on the planet but we're talking mass market in the way TV, films, music, etc are in that they're a popular form of entertainment the average person.

I know what you mean mate, hence why I've used the term loosely to describe the PlayStation2. I just thought I'd give a marketers appeal that basically the term "mass-market" is dead.

The Xbox isn't a mass market console. The only ones that come close are the Gameboy and the Playstation 1 and 2. Halo may have sold well to gamers but it's done very little to bring in anyone from outside the gaming faternity. IMO, of course.

See, this is what I said earlier. Now you're agreeing with me. Nothing is mass market. Especially the Xbox. I knew you'd come round eventually.

Not everything is opinion, statements can of course be proven to be factual. I don't believe you've succeeded in presenting a very convincing case in this instance. If it was simply an opinion, then that's different, but glad we've clarified that.

You still need that commodity. While you may not have any direct contact with the supplier, you still choose where you live and as a result who supplies you with something that you need. Therefore water is mass market. FWIW.

Heheh, mate this is getting silly now.

Lets set some things straight (and this is fact, if you were confused) - the practice of marketing is about finding a need or want that the public has, filling that need in the most effective way, targeting the people who have this want or need, and promoting your product or service to them.

The water companies do not need to promote their service to me, currently, as I am not the one who decides who supplies my water. They target my landlord. He/she is someone they market to, not me. This is marketing.

The fact I use water, isn't.

You're confusing basic business with marketing, something I might add, that not all businesses use.

We're getting off the point here though mate, so let's get back to the GameCube, ok?

See, this is what I said earlier. Now you're agreeing with me. Nothing is mass market. Especially the Xbox. I knew you'd come round eventually.

You've.. err.. quoted yourself there mate.

But you're right. Nothing is really mass-market.

Heheh, mate this is getting silly now.

It was silly to start with, I've been trying to tell you that.

Lets set some things straight (and this is fact, if you were confused) - the practice of marketing is about finding a need or want that the public has, filling that need in the most effective way, targeting the people who have this want or need, and promoting your product or service to them.

Great, with Bloke's departure the role of patronising student has been in need of a suitable candidate.

The water companies do not need to promote their service to me, currently, as I am not the one who decides who supplies my water. They target my landlord. He/she is someone they market to, not me. This is marketing.

The fact I use water, isn't.

You're confusing basic business with marketing, something I might add, that not all businesses use.

Not quite, just having some fun with you trying to prove you were paying attention at your course this week. I mean you're the one who brought up petrol in a thread about games consoles. I'm sure you regret that by now.

We're getting off the point here though mate, so let's get back to the GameCube, ok?

Have you anything more to say about it?

Erm, the petrol thing was regarding your mass-market comments. You seemed happy enough to talk about it. Do I regret it? Erm, nope.

The marketing comments - you didn't seem to understand what marketing was. Kinda important if we're, err, talking about marketing.. ya know? I don't think it was patronising in anyway.

But I've obviously offended you, so I'll leave you to it fella.

Erm, the petrol thing was regarding your mass-market comments.

I only pitched into this thread to see how you could justify saying the Xbox was more mass market than the Cube. I know what the mass market is. I've got more experience of it than you. But you can keep reminding me what it is if it makes you happier, I'm sure you've got end of term exams to think about.

You seemed happy enough to talk about it. Do I regret it? Erm, nope.

The marketing comments - you didn't seem to understand what marketing was. Kinda important if we're, err, talking about marketing.. ya know? I don't think it was patronising in anyway.

But I've obviously offended you, so I'll leave you to it fella.

Not offended, just disappointed you don't really have a point to make, you just seem to want to show what you've learned this week. That's fine, but you're a student. Some of us take for granted what is new, shiny and wonderful to you.

I only pitched into this thread to see how you could justify saying the Xbox was more mass market than the Cube. I know what the mass market is. I've got more experience of it than you. But you can keep reminding me what it is if it makes you happier, I'm sure you've got end of term exams to think about.

Not offended, just disappointed you don't really have a point to make, you just seem to want to show what you've learned this week. That's fine, but you're a student. Some of us take for granted what is new, shiny and wonderful to you.

Now who's being condesending, eh? :blink:

I'm a 22 year old student, in my final year. And? I can have opinions. If you want evidence on why I think the Xbox appeals to a wider market than the GameCube, then ask yourself why (shitty but still selling well) Driv3r isn't going to make an appearence on the GC?

Why no port of Grand Theft Auto, in any form?

Why do a lot FPS's appear only on Xbox or PC, yet titles like Sonic Heroes, perfect for the Cube's market, also appear on Xbox?

Because the Xbox caters for all these markets, and the GameCube doesn't.

I'm not saying what is right or wrong, I'm just saying that the GameCube is very narrow in what markets it caters for, and this could be a reason it hasn't sold as well as Ninty might have hoped.

(Oh, and it's July. Term ended in May, mate, so no end-of-term exams for me. Not that we have them, anyway.. )

Oi!

Leave Driv3r out of this.

Also, why did Treasure release "Ikaruga" and why did Capcom release Resident Evil titles.

Hey, I'm not saying it doesn't appeal to any markets whatsoever. It has its markets, in my opinion.

Ikaruga is indeed a hardcore title. Something that the hardcore gaming masses appreciated.

Resident Evil, in some form, has appeared on nearly every console since it's conception. Indeed, Number 4 will get a release on Xbox I believe.

All I'm saying is that the Xbox has a broader appeal. This thread was about whether the GameCube has been a sleeper hit. I'm suggesting, for these reasons, that it hasn't.. not to the amount Ninty would have hoped for.

Believe me, I own a GC and love it.

I'm not saying "Xbox rulez n GC suks dick" :blink: