IGNORED

The Gamecube

sandman

From an outsiders point of view, I think Halo is mature actually and i put this initial view down to its box.

It's box uses a mature typeface and features a 'mature' cover.

Many FPS/3PF games are quite mature by nature (dealing with adult themes like

War) actually, hence the reason they sell well on the PC.

Saying that, the sims is the biggest seller on the PC, and the box is quite cartoony, but then the PC is installed in peoples homes for other reasons other then gaming.

Ironically even more, there's a trend for 'lifestyle' PC's to look like guesswhat.....

Chrome gamecubes.

Why is it not mature? Because it's not set in a the real world?

It was brought up in the context of saying the Xbox had mature titles, the Cube doesn't. I demonstrated that was wrong simply by bringing up Resident Evil. However, going off at a tangent, Halo has a shit plot & hackneyed scripting. I fail to see anything mature about it. As a game it evolved the genre, but come on, this is a debate about the perceived success or failure of the public at large to buy one console over another. I guess you'd have to tell me your definition of maturity before I go to far on that one.

Fair enough, but if your device is badly designed from the onset (ie - 'seemingly designed for the wrong market), your software's not going to do to well by default.

This was Nintendo's big mistake.

Not in Japan it wasn't, where the Xbox was a disaster while the Cube has done well. Not compared to the PS2, but then any fool knows that.

The point is it is not a kids only console, otherwise they wouldn't have sewn up an exclusive deal for Resident Evil & others. That alone shows you're wrong in implying it aimed for a narrow market.

I never said it was a kids console. It isn't. I've bloody well got one!

Jesus Christ, read what I've said before you reply.

All I'm saying is, the GC doesn't appeal to as many types of gamers as the Xbox. (In my opinion)

I think he's getting that shooting little bugs in armour that run around going "wort wort wort" with plasma pistols isn't exactly comparable to Tolstoy. But does it need to be?

Depends on context. That's not comparing like with like. Someone tried to make the point that the Xbox had mature titles. Well, so does the GameCube.

I never said it was a kids console. It isn't. I've bloody well got one!

Jesus Christ, read what I've said before you reply.

All I'm saying is, the GC doesn't appeal to as many types of gamers as the Xbox. (In my opinion)

So what DID you mean by a narrow market? As I've demonstrated the Cube covers all bases in terms of software support, just where is it falling short? You've mentioned two franchies, Driver and GTA 3. Obviously I can counter with Cube exclusives that are comparable. Are you just talking about what it looks like? Is that what this has all been about?

So what DID you mean by a narrow market? As I've demonstrated the Cube covers all bases in terms of software support, just where is it falling short? You've mentioned two franchies, Driver and GTA 3. Obviously I can counter with Cube exclusives that are comparable. Are you just talking about what it looks like? Is that what this has all been about?

Counter with comparable exclusives mate, because I don't think the Cube caters for the Driv3r/GTA market very well.

My point is that it caters for less markets, yes, and this is one.

Not in Japan it wasn't, where the Xbox was a disaster while the Cube has done well. Not compared to the PS2, but then any fool knows that.

Ah, well put, but that was about Japanese people knowing of the Nintendo brand, and the strong affliliation with the brand.

Hence the US and M$.

the UK market is not so easy to please. That why Amstrad are so shit.

We know their shit, but this argument is void here. Ninty arn't shit.

But for their product to appeal to UK/Us gamers, it needs to be more then the very capable device it is.

The 'Majority of people in the UK and US do tend to judge a book by its cover.

(IMO the DC is more mature, but people were still happy with the PS1.)

Nintendo didn't address this issue.

Of course, Sony already had the market in its grip anyway.

Obviously I can counter with Cube exclusives that are comparable.

Re : Driv3r and GTA...

Like what?

I would say the 'reality type' 3FP action game is one of the biggest growing genres now.

Ah, well put, but that was about Japanese people knowing of the Nintendo brand, and the strong affliliation with the brand.

Hence the US and M$.

the UK market is not so easy to please. That why Amstrad are so shit.

We know their shit, but this argument is void here. Ninty arn't shit.

But for their product to appeal to UK/Us gamers, it needs to be more then the very capable device it is.

The 'Majority of people in the UK and US do tend to judge a book by its cover.

(IMO the DC is more mature, but people were still happy with the PS1.)

Nintendo didn't address this issue.

Of course, Sony already had the market in its grip anyway.

But this would only be valid if the xbox had trounced the Cube in the US and here. It hasn't. what did it get "wrong"?

But this would only be valid if the xbox had trounced the Cube in the US and here. It hasn't. what did it get "wrong"?

At the last check, the Xbox was ahead in Europe, and is currently the number 1 selling console in the states, quite a way ahead of the Cube in overall sales. In fact, it's the Asian market which pulls them up level.

If we were talking just the two western markets, the Cube would be firmly 3rd.

Hehe, I believe you said "exclusive" mate.

And 1 title does not cater for a whole genre.

I gave you exclusives. At the time we were discussing mature titles. All I did here was demonstrate how even when you shift your argument to a particular genre, the Cube still has it covered.

I gave you exclusives. At the time we were discussing mature titles. All I did here was demonstrate how even when you shift your argument to a particular genre, the Cube still has it covered.

Hehehe.

Mate, Resident Evil by no means is the same type of game as GTA. Apart from the fact RE4 will appear on Xbox, this isn't a comparable title.

Nevermind the fact that I wasn't involved in the discussion about adult GameCube games.

At the last check, the Xbox was ahead in Europe, and is currently the number 1 selling console in the states, quite a way ahead of the Cube in overall sales. In fact, it's the Asian market which pulls them up level.

If we were talking just the two western markets, the Cube would be firmly 3rd.

even allowing for the fact that this situation has swung constantly over the past two years, how much of a loss has Microsoft incurred compared to Nintendo's profitability? You have a pretty perverse idea of success.

But the Cube didn't trounce the Xbox either if memory serves.

It didn't exactly 'blitz' the market.

I think if Ninty had designed the device with more 'maturity' it could have taken a solid second placing.

To discuss software again - Another problem is that the FPS/3PS genre was well established before True crime. Driver had already sold a mass on Ps1 (so an update with 'better' graphics was bound to sell anyway).

And of course, GTA, which went from 2D to 3D.

The Ninty needed these games ages ago really.

even allowing for the fact that this situation has swung constantly over the past two years, how much of a loss has Microsoft incurred compared to Nintendo's profitability? You have a pretty perverse idea of success.

Prehaps (i've never checked the Stats - sorry), but many people only buy one or two consoles at most.

And what Xbox sold, didn't make Ninty any money. Thats Ninty's loss of the market.

They may have made money, but arguablly every customer they lose now is proberly another customer in the 'next gen'. Unless the Xbox supplies consistent shite, which it hardly has, esp. with the advent of live.

Hehehe.

Mate, Resident Evil by no means is the same type of game as GTA. Apart from the fact RE4 will appear on Xbox, this isn't a comparable title.

It's an exclusive that demonstrates the company's intention to cater for ALL gamers. Not bringing Driver or GTA to the Cube was marketing idiocy, as I said about five pages back, nothing more.

Nevermind the fact that I wasn't involved in the discussion about adult GameCube games.

You said:

"Because the Xbox caters for all these markets, and the GameCube doesn't.

I'm not saying what is right or wrong, I'm just saying that the GameCube is very narrow in what markets it caters for, and this could be a reason it hasn't sold as well as Ninty might have hoped."

Demonstrably wrong. Anyway, bedtime, have fun.

A lot of Nintendo's profit is down to the GBA, and Pokemon, but regardless, this is a long term plan for Microsoft. It's often been said - they are throwing money at the situation now, to plan for the future.

But I've never said that I view the Xbox to be successful, or even MORE successful than the GameCube.

This was a thread about whether people thought the GameCube had been a success, and if not, why not. My arguement is that the GameCube doesn't have as broad an appeal as it's competitors. I made no statements about how I thought the other consoles are doing.

All you have done is take cheap jibes at me, and throw weightless arguements in my general direction. Well, that doesn't cut it mate. You've not changed my opinion.

Right, I'm off to play Ninja Gaiden for a bit, and check my dog isn't choking :( Trust her to eat plastic..

It's an exclusive that demonstrates the company's intention to cater for ALL gamers. Not bringing Driver or GTA to the Cube was marketing idiocy, as I said about five pages back, nothing more.

I'll trust that Rockstar and Atari know a bit more about what games are best for what consoles than you, fella. Don't take offense, mind! :(

Demonstrably wrong. Anyway, bedtime, have fun.

I wasn't talking about 'adult' games. I never mentioned the word. Never even gloryfied it's existance. I don't even consider it a genre, really.

"Excuse me mate. What kind of game is this? An FPS, or something?"

"Nope. That's an 'adult' game, sonny."

"Ahh, right. Has it got tits and stuff in it?"

"..."

Seriously mate, don't reply to me if you can't be bothered to read what I, or anyone else, has written. I wasn't involved in that 'adult' discussion, if you read back.

I wasn't talking about 'adult' games. I never mentioned the word. Never even gloryfied it's existance. I don't even consider it a genre, really.

It makes a difference in todays markets though, as sales of GTA and Driv3r and FPS games like Halo (and Golderneye - the uber FPS! The N64 killer app') have testified. These titles are lacking, Metroid/True Crime aside.

My point is if Ninty had released games of this ilk a while ago, along with changing its image and becoming a 'lifestyled' aimed at older generations rather then a small purple plastic box (as is was at first), it may have 'helped' its fortunes a bit more.

It released a bloody great wipeout beater, but years to late.

This could of course be complete crap, but i think its two decisions that Ninty should have sorted eons ago.

It may offer games that cater to most gameplayers tastes (although that's debatable with its lack of shmups and decent 2D fighters for instance) but it doesn't offer something that will draw in the real mass market, the general public or those that only give gaming a cursory glance. Where's it Singstars and Eye Toy's?
People who buy titles like Singstar and EyeToy are still gamers, just more casual. These two excellent Sony titles are aimed at families and casual gamers. The Xbox has titles such as Dance Dance Revolution: Ultimate (or whatever the version for Xbox is.. not really my bag) and Xbox Music Mixer. Now, these two titles might not be as good as the Sony versions, but they still cater for the same market. Again, I say, the Xbox just like its rival PlayStation2 markets at every gaming genre these days.
If you want evidence on why I think the Xbox appeals to a wider market than the GameCube, then ask yourself why (shitty but still selling well) Driv3r isn't going to make an appearence on the GC?

Why no port of Grand Theft Auto, in any form?

Piccy of True Crime on Gamecube
Hehe, I believe you said "exclusive" mate.

And 1 title does not cater for a whole genre.

Can you see what's happened here. I posit one argument which you counter with an unrelated game (how the fuck is Eyetoy like Dancing Stage Ultimate?). Add to this that the Dancing stage games have appeared on numerous formats as well and I'd hardly call it an exclusive.

When Linkster then shows you the same argument, you laugh it off as not an exclusive likle that somehow negates the game being on the cube.

Man, you're arguments are all over the place.

Oh, and Resident Evil 4 on Xbox? You're having a laugh mate. Mikami has stated that it is categorically a Cube exclusive. And that's that. The only capcom game I can remember on the Xbox is Genma Onimusha, so how you can assume they'll be porting the exclusive RE4 over baffles me.

I'll trust that Rockstar and Atari know a bit more about what games are best for what consoles than you, fella. Don't take offense, mind! :(

I won't, because you've no idea who I am or what I do.

"..."

Seriously mate, don't reply to me if you can't be bothered to read what I, or anyone else, has written. I wasn't involved in that 'adult' discussion, if you read back.

I'll let whoever reads the thread make up their own minds about that.

Hilarious 'facts' I have learned from this thread:

It is better to be third place in two regions than just the one.

Gamecube, although selling to a smaller audience, has exactly the same level of third party support as its competitors. Except from Konami.

And Tecmo of course.

And EA, Take 2, Lucasarts, Codemasters, Activision, Midway and Atari.

PC gaming has not gone to seed. Hmmmm, yes. It's going to be real interesting looking at the comparitive sales figures for DE2, Thief 3 and Galleon when they turn up.

It is better to be third place in two regions than just the one.

Surely that depends on just how far behind you are in the one region compared to the other two, if you see what I mean.

I mean Product A is 2nd place in two places with 10 Sales in each but is 3rd in the final region with sales only 1 sale.

Product B is 3rd in two places with 8 sales in each of them but is second in the 3rd place with 10 sales.

This would put Product B in front overall.

And as for 3rd party support, yeah, sure the Xbox probably does have more, but that wasn't the discussion as far as I could see. It was about whether the cube has most bases covered unlike the N64 which had big gaping holes in it's library. The cube does have most genres covered now.

I mean Product A is 2nd place in two places with 10 Sales in each but is 3rd in the final region with sales only 1 sale.

Product B is 3rd in two places with 8 sales in each of them but is second in the 3rd place with 10 sales.

If I were taking the line of other, less polite posters, I'd say that you couldn't prove any of that, you stupid student.

However, I'm me. You do have a point, although how the ratio's work out is for the fanfucks to decide. Personally, without getting too 'biast\biased', I'd say that Microsoft has the slim advantage.

The cube does have most genres covered now.

But does it have them well covered? If I were going to buy one console alone, I would buy the product that gives me the greatest level of choice, not the one that simply covers its' arse, software wise.

If I were taking the line of other, less polite posters, I'd say that you couldn't prove any of that, you stupid student.

However, I'm me. You do have a point, although how the ratio's work out is for the fanfucks to decide. Personally, without getting too 'biast\biased', I'd say that Microsoft has the slim advantage.

But does it have them well covered? If I were going to buy one console alone, I would buy the product that gives me the greatest level of choice, not the one that simply covers its' arse, software wise.

I agree with you in that I also believe MS to be in 2nd place. By how much is anyone's guess. To be honest, I'd surprised if even MS or Nintendo know.

Secondly, I agree again. If I were going to buy one console (that would be so fucking hard!) I'd plump with the PS2 and that'd be that. Let's face it, if you don't like FPS or racing games then the Xbox ain't exactly gonna win you over is it. :(

Precisely.  Anyone who says that they'd take a GC, or an Xbox over a PS2 is either playing devils advocate or just being a big fat knob-jockey.

Did anyone say that?

Gamecube, although selling to a smaller audience, has exactly the same level of third party support as its competitors. Except from Konami.

And Tecmo of course.

And EA, Take 2, Lucasarts, Codemasters, Activision, Midway and Atari.

Konami's provided the exclusive Twin Snakes. Lucasarts provided the exclusive Rogue Squadron. The others (Codies aside) have all provided support, as was said. You could take that one of two ways. Seeing as you'd never miss the opportunity to have a pop at me, clearly Nintendo is "covering its arse", rather than delivering the promised third party support.