IGNORED

Save Our Magazines

DJ Sack

I am to start this today with a test magazine, which i have decided to be Arcade Issue 1, its fairly big being the first issue and a bit dog eared but it'll do fine.

I have decided to do it as large html files, as i know sod all about making PDF's, but i wanted to know a few things from you lot.

Should adverts be included in the scanning? Gaming adverts will defo be, but what about adverts for lynx or for them joke lines? Should they be included? Id rather not as they waste space but i'd like to know your ideas.

Also what series of magazines would you like me to start on first? Arcade i have a full set (except for one issue with CM 2.0 on the cover), dc-uk is a full set, ODM is missing the first four issues after issue one and issue zero, issue 40 onwards for Sega power, and the latest edges which i wont be covering at the moment, same with Games TM.

If anyone would like to kindly donate any magazines (either for all time or for me to borrow and return back to you) id be greatful as im sure many other people will be.

Is there anything else you'd like to see also?

I love seeing games adverts - its a part of Retro Gamer that I enjoy.

As for the mags themselves, unfortunately the mages I would like to see preserved are long since gone - The One, Ace, Zero - those were the days I recall fondly.

Still a good idea, though - although I believe it will take a long time to do (unless your scanner is super-fast), and take a lot of hard-drive space. I admire you for taking it onboard though!

One other question, where would i stand legally? Is it illegal? Is it not? etc

I think you are infringing copyright. An archive put on P2P or a link not distributed too widely is more likely to get away with it than a permanent website. The odds of anyone being upset about it are slim, I would hope. Maybe one of the journalists who pop in here occassionally could conceivably object to their words being used without their permission.

fronttest.jpg

Heres a test of the front cover, this will be the type of image quality im aiming for, although it will be in a raw format, rather than .jpg so there isnt subtle loss of quality.

As you will also notice the magazine is slightly larger than my scanner, hopefully this wont affect the main pages as a lot of the width is taken up by the spine, and top and bottom of pages should be fairly clear. I'll also rescan and photoshop the cover to get ride of things like creases, dirt and to make it the full image.

Any comments would be most welcome!

quality looks good enough, although it'd be nice to see it with a normal page writing size on it, shame about the size thing, but i guess theres not much you can do about that, really.

i remember buying that issue. i wasn't feeling too good, had a bit of a headache. still enjoyed it though <_<

Good stuff...

However, I'd say that if you're gonna do it at all, you may as well do it perfectly. It might be worth investing in a larger scanner. A larger scanner will capture the whole page and will save someone else re-scanning them at a later date, as will inevitably happen with the perfectionist nerds that populate the internet.

I dont have the money to really invest in a larger scanner, i just bought this one and was lucky enough it was cheap. Its mainly a pet project so i can keep my gaming mags without the need for a cupboard being taken up with them, but i know others will be interested in seeing their old mags in digital form. If someone wants to give me some issues of arcade i can rip to pieces then please PM me as that'll solve the size issues pretty easily.

But for now, this is the best your going to get from me <_<

I'll upload a page of writting in a second for you to enjoy, im scalling the images down right now for the forum, but once they are in html/pdf you'll be able to zoom in and out with ease making reading easy if you have a smaller screen/res.

Quick scan so image isnt aligned properly but this will give you an idea of reading quality, i have shrunk the image by half as the way it saves as a jpeg makes it HUGE, but even at half the original size the text is still readable, ClickHERE! if you'd like to see the original size, although due to it being a jpeg it doesnt save at the actual size of the scan but rather it magnifys it for some reason, but when its as a pdf/html i'll make sure it goes on as actual size so if you have a nice large screen there wont be too much scrolling.

writtingtest2.jpg

I think it's a fantastic idea, btw :wub:

I used to read Mega when I was a kid (the Mega Drive magazine). I have up until issue 21 somewhere, which I wouldn't mind digging out myself. I'd love to see some issues that I never had though- I don't really know why, it'll bring back memories I suppose :P Does anybody have any issues of this from May 1994 onwards?

I thought Arcade was a brilliant magazine- but I can't believe the first issue is 6 years old already <_<

One other question, where would i stand legally? Is it illegal? Is it not? etc

Dunno, but I remember a site called CPC Oxygen that has (had?) loads of Amstrad Action issues scanned, and a claim that Future gave the site owners permission to distribute the scans of the mags.

Dunno, but I remember a site called CPC Oxygen that has (had?) loads of Amstrad Action issues scanned, and a claim that Future gave the site owners permission to distribute the scans of the mags.

See also: www.zzap64.co.uk

I'm so tempted to buy the whole lot on DVD, and the YS scans too, but I really can't afford it at that price.

I am to start this today with a test magazine, which i have decided to be Arcade Issue 1, its fairly big being the first issue and a bit dog eared but it'll do fine.

I have decided to do it as large html files, as i know sod all about making PDF's, but i wanted to know a few things from you lot.

Should adverts be included in the scanning? Gaming adverts will defo be, but what about adverts for lynx or for them joke lines? Should they be included? Id rather not as they waste space but i'd like to know your ideas.

Also what series of magazines would you like me to start on first? Arcade i have a full set (except for one issue with CM 2.0 on the cover), dc-uk is a full set, ODM is missing the first four issues after issue one and issue zero, issue 40 onwards for Sega power, and the latest edges which i wont be covering at the moment, same with Games TM.

If anyone would like to kindly donate any magazines (either for all time or for me to borrow and return back to you) id be greatful as im sure many other people will be.

Is there anything else you'd like to see also?

I'd love to donate, but have you SEEN how fragile the paper becomes after 14+ years of sitting there? My CVGs are like horrid mummy things :twisted:

Strangely, all my Amstrad Actions are in perfect nick. What's up with that?

Great Idea DJ

CV&G in its hay day was the best we've seen from a gaming magazine (PlayStation>N64 era). So they'd be great. Though I remember the mag being quite 'lanky'. So may be a problem with your scanner...

N64 Magazine was also legendary, shame NGC has become a mess.

I have piles in my loft. CV&G, OSSM, Arcade, GamesMaster. And scarily about 70+ OPSM ;) I think the supports could go any minute. I look back at them as a huge waste of money @ £4.99 each

The only mag I buy now is EDGE.

Anyway, good luck with this Mr Sack.

If you'd like to contribute to the Save Our Magazine ermmm thingie, then please do, id gladly take them off you for scanning purposes.

Of course id like to cut them up too so they fit the scanner nicely.

I have a few premier issues kicking around, I have the first Meanmachines the first Official Playstation magazine and some other oldies (mostly offcial DCM and Edge though) let me know if you want anything scanned!

Cheers

Quexex

I don't think it's legal, from what I remember. I had someone post scans of Halo 2 stuff from EGM on my forum last year and I got an email from Dan Tsu threatening legal action :o

People are far more likely to care about stuff that is going to cost them actually sales like that, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...