IGNORED

'Your gamertag is almost identical...'

superfunk

Anyone else had one of these? It's an email telling me that I'll soon receive an invite (non-optional I presume) to change my gamertag as it's too similar to someone else's. And I get a copy of PGR2 for my trouble. Thing is I aready got (and got rid of) PGR2 and I like my gamertag. And I've had it for over a year. Balls. Give me a game of my choice and i might be a bit happier about it. I'll give that a go when I call them

That's bizarre.

Never heard of that.

Surely this is something that's only going to get worse as time goes on.

The number of gamertags with 3's instead of e's, or 1's instead of i's etc. would imply that if they want to sort this out in a large scale they'll have to make this offer a lot.

Or do you think, that someone (possibly within Microsoft) actually wants your gamertag? and They're trying to get you to part with it?

Can you print the whole thing?

Here you go. I've blanked out the phone number as otherwise they might receive a flood of calls from people pretending to be me and trying to claim their free game:

You're receiving this e-mail because your Xbox Live™ Gamertag is almost identical to another subscriber's Gamertag.

To make sure all your stats, hits, tackles and wins are counted; we'd need you to create a new Gamertag. Within the next 10 days, you will be prompted to change your Gamertag when you go to your dash. Simply follow the directions to change your Gamertag and you will be up and running again in no time ready to play.

And as a show of appreciation for making the switch, we'll send you a free copy of Project Gotham Racing® 2. You must call xxxxxxxxxxxxx before 31 July 2004 to receive your free copy. Let them know that you received this e-mail about changing your Gamertag and they will take care of the rest.

We apologise for the inconvenience-but with your new Gamertag, the other 1 million players worldwide will have no problem finding you on your Friends List.

Happy Gaming

The Xbox Live Team

:unsure:

Have you just joined then? When I joined last year I think my first tag was rejected, so do they do this manually?! that must be an interesting job

If you haven't just signed up, then why should the newest person make you change?!

Lastly, I wonder what they will do about the 4million Master Chief combos on Live?

That's weird, surely as no-one else can join up with the same gamertag it doesn't matter whether yours is similar to somebody elses? Like idiwa said, it's unique and who's to say that if you change it you wont get the same problem in the future.

:unsure:

Have you just joined then? When I joined last year I think my first tag was rejected, so do they do this manually?! that must be an interesting job

If you haven't just signed up, then why should the newest person make you change?!

Lastly, I wonder what they will do about the 4million Master Chief combos on Live?

I've been on since last June (2003)- that's what I don't understand. If it was similar at the time I joined why didn't I receive an email then? If it's only just become similar then the new person should be asked to change, not me. I don't get it.

I've been on since last June (2003)- that's what I don't understand. If it was similar at the time I joined why didn't I receive an email then? If it's only just become similar then the new person should be asked to change, not me. I don't get it.

It's really bizarre!

I wanted Jonnyc btw, but this was pinged back - not by email, by the xbox.

Are you going to tell them to shove it?

Are you going to tell them to shove it?

As I understand it I don't think I can tell them to shove it. Next time I go on live I'll be presented with a screen to update my gamertag. Presumably, if I don't I can't get any further

I reckon it's a load of bollocks.

It's got to be a scam, Gamertags may appear to be similar to the human eye but not the Live network.

If it is a scam it's a good one as it's an html email with all the Xbox live graphics and stuff. I can't copy and paste the graphics but it's even got the legal stuff at the bottom

Privacy Statement   |   Terms of Use

Xbox Privacy, One Microsoft Way, Redmond WA 98052, USA

©2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. The names and logos of actual companies and products herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Oh - and it's an 0800 number so they're not making any money from the call

If it is a scam it's a good one as it's an html email with all the Xbox live graphics and stuff. I can't copy and paste the graphics but it's even got the legal stuff at the bottom

Oh - and it's an 0800 number so they're not making any money from the call

I've had scam emails before that linked me to LloydsTSB site but it wasn't a direct link and a pop-up appeared asking for my username and password.

I still can't see what difference it makes as your gamertag will be zeros and ones anyway.

How would a scammer obtain Superfunk's email and what do they stand to gain if he changes his gamertag?

Are they also hosting a free phone number as part of this hoax too?

At this point, I'd like to post in a pic of that guy from Princess Bride saying "Inconceivable!" - but i can't work out how, so please imagine it

stupid.jpg

Edited by SeanR

Let them know that you received this e-mail about changing your Gamertag and they will take care of the rest.

"I've recieved an email about changing my Gamertag."

"OK, phone this number 0870******** and they'll take your details."

or

"OK, could you please tell me your name, address, and the bank details you used to sign up for Xbox Live - card number, expiry date, security number, etc."

Just like to add it sounds very dodgy. Like many have said, why does it matter that its 'similar'??

Don't go ringing that number boy! (unless of course you do get the prompt on the dash in which case ;):):unsure: )

so what happens to the guy (gal) with the "similar" tag.

They get to keep theirs?

What fucking difference does "similar" make anyway?

Unless Live!3.0 has proper issues that they can't be arsed to fix :D

OK, I've done some detective work and Paulando is right - this is genuine.

From the US Xbox forums -

For those members that received the email informing them that then need to change their gamer tag within the next 10-days, we now have a revised compensation plan. In addition to receiving the game that was mentioned in the email, you will also receive a free, one year subscription to Xbox Live for being so understanding about this change.

Effective immediately when you call support (1-8004MYXBOX) and they confirm that you are on the list of affected gamertags, the support agent will ask you for some information to ensure your account information is current and within 6-weeks (or so) you'll receive the game and a free 12-month subscription code (in separate mailings) that you can then use when your current subscription expires.

Note: The agent can't add the free 12-months to your account while you are on the phone.Once they gathers the required information, you will be sent the card in the mail and you can then use that code when your account expires for your free year of Xbox Live. Since the affected members have subscriptions that run out at various times, this is the most efficient way to ensure that members get the entire 12-months free.

Action Necessary for those that received the email informing them that their gamertag must be changed: You must call to confirm you are on the list and your address is correct, and to let support know you'd like to participate in this offer! This is one thing that is worth a free 5 minute phone call to make sure you are all set and can get your free year of Xbox Live

If you don't call, you will not get the free game and the free year of Xbox Live

Note: The agents are being informed of this change now, so if you call within the next few hours they may not be aware of this late breaking development yet…so I'd call tomorrow once the information has been distributed to all the agents. You are finding out about this before the agents...so don't run and call the moment I post this and expect them to know

Thanks for being understanding.

And some of his replies with more info

From what I understand, this affects a very small number of GT's. I can't share the actual number, but it's a very small number.

This is part of the continuing evolution of the system, and have some really really really long hard thinking...this was the best solution.

For your case, I personally do know who Racerx is, and he did have the 'tag before the service started.

The team did not take this decision lightly. Also, this ability for users to create names that differ by one space (Major Nelson vs MajorNelson) was fixed long ago...but there was a moment in time where the system allowed users to sign up with a space (or other ways that the system had trouble differentiating)....and the system saw them as two different accounts. Now that the service is maturing, and we have added all the Tsunami features (clan support, messaging etc) some of the new features had some problems with names that were too similar...so that forced a change.

FWIW: Some members on the team were also affected.

The programmers and staff here had a very difficult time with this issue...and did not treat it lightly. Also, everyone on this team has to pay for their gamertag...there are NO freebies.

I am trying to share as much information as I can, but the one thing I can tell you is that this is absolute...there are not options for NOT doing it. Yea, I know it sucks big time for those that were affected.

Also, to be clear this is not a "screw up" it's about scaling the system and making it work with many new features/games that are upcoming. This will only happen once.

Your beta ball is not going away..your .NET password won't be harmed.

Your friends list will migrate to the new name (as will all your stats)....so no worries there

No, because as I posted earlier...this problem was fixed long ago.

There were some gamertags that were created during a time period long ago that are problematic. Any new gamertags are run through a newer system that won't allow similar names.

And to repeat, this is a one time issue that won't occur again.

1) Yes, your name will automatically change in your friends list. This will be automatic.

2) The linking between your passport and your new GT will remain the same as your old one. In other words, you won't have to do anything.

3) Your forum name is not connected in any way to the Xbox Live service...so that will remain as the original one you have now. (and can not be changed)

Edit: I did not have to change mine...but I would have if someone had a simliar name. Also, there were some folks internally who have to change them as well. There is no way to give special treatment to anyone (nor would I want that.)

I have some more information to share. As we expand the service, this action was necessary to reduce problems further down the line. Again, this only affects a small number of people that signed up during a certain time period. If you have gotten an email, it is because your gamertag is identical to one or more other gamertags after spaces are removed

As an example: If I signed up and got MajorNelson (no space) and someone had Major Nelson (with a space) before me…I would have to change..even though my name does not have spaces.

Another thing to note: Priority was given to the first person to sign up for the similar gamertag. That was the only fair way to approach this.

Hopefully this will help explain this complex issue.

So if you've not recieved an email I'd say your Gamertag is safe.