IGNORED

Call of Duty

Cheeko

Just got hold of this game and I must say I'm massively impressed. They've done really well to take war gaming to the next level, making you feel as if you're playing scenes from a film or something, atmosphere, music, voice acting all really good.

I'm only as far as the level with three of you in the vehicle trying to get through enemy lines, the driver hauling the car around and looking across at him to see him chucking the wheel about whilst the orchestral score increases the tension of a tank eyeing you up from the end of an alleyway.

Great stuff

Only just got Call Of Duty?!

well.. enjoy :)

you need to get Full Spectrum Warrior next up. ( I think its out for the PC )

One of those games that piqued my interest when I read the reviews but never got round to picking it up due to having too many other games to play. Came across it by chance the other day and do do do do dooooo, I'm lovin' it.

I got this with my new PC last week, and it's stunning. The hectic pace gives it a totally different feel to other FPS.

The sound and music are fantastic.

I seem to have finished the US missions very quickly - the default difficulty setting is very easy.

We've been playing the multiplayer here in the office after work for the last few months - that Pavlov level with sniper rifles is one of the most fun multiplayer maps I've ever played.

I've only played the singleplayer briefly, I'm on that second mission where you have to rescue the British officers. I love the intensity of the firefights and that the AI isn't completely dumb - they use cover and don't just run out in front of your guns constantly.

All that and it's on Mac too... I :D Call Of Duty.

A great game this, with some stand out set pieces and memorable moments. The first Car section does it for me, leaning out the car, gun in hand, trying to take aim at the enemy as the scenery screams past and the car twists and turns. A fantastic moment, alongside many others in a game I actually didn't think I'd like all that much. Haven't dedicated all that much time to the whole Medal of Honour type games, but have tried a hand at a couple and they didn't really impress. Definitely glad I have this and can't wait for the sequel.

Seconded, or thirded or whatever. Very enjoyable game and one of the few recent games I've actually finished; hurrah for this length of game.

Also, I have to agree (again) the Russian levels are the most atmospheric...especially the opening one.

This is another game on my "MUST GET" list for the PC, but I promised myself I'd finish all the games I still have waiting first.

At the moment, I'm still engrossed in Far Cry, I'm still amazed at this game. How the hell they'll squeeze it onto the xbox is beyond me.

Is this any good or is it MOH good where evreything is good but the game it self? saw some trailers and they looked damn sweet so I'm cosidering buying this

Download the superb demo. Been meaning to get this for aaaaages. This weekend for sure.

Yeah, 'tis a great game :ph34r: I've actually just started playing it through again myself. It looked good when I had my Ti4200, but with my 9800Pro it looks gorgeous (although the men still walk like they've shit themselves- but who could blame them? :D). A decent pair of headphones or a 5.1 surround system adds so much to the game.

Yeah, 'tis a great game :ph34r: I've actually just started playing it through again myself. It looked good when I had my Ti4200, but with my 9800Pro it looks gorgeous (although the men still walk like they've shit themselves- but who could blame them? :D). A decent pair of headphones or a 5.1 surround system adds so much to the game.

On the subject of surround sound, I've really started to make use of it to detect where threats are.

I was playing the Far Cry demo last night, and I was in that wooden hut at the start. I knew the soldiers were closing in on me from the outside, and they could have come in through any entrance. I could actually use the sound of their voices and footsteps to know exactly what entrance they would each be using.

Positional audio is not a new development, but the AI in Far Cry seems pretty sneaky, and death comes quickly. Being able to pinpoint enemy positions by sound alone was essentialy to my survival in that situation.

It's one quality set piece after another.. great game, and just wait till the later levels (the later Russian levels for example are superb).

I've heard several people say this(and in this thread) so I'm pretty excited about those missions.

Yeah, 'tis a great game  I've actually just started playing it through again myself. It looked good when I had my Ti4200, but with my 9800Pro it looks gorgeous (although the men still walk like they've shit themselves- but who could blame them? ). A decent pair of headphones or a 5.1 surround system adds so much to the game.

Totally agree, sometimes during play I stop to actually notice what I'm hearing, the amount of bullet sounds all around you can be immense. I also love it when you're defending the bridge and having to keep runnnig to the big gun to take out the tanks, it just goes on and on, then you can just here a subtle orchestral score rising in the background and you just know you're near to breaking down the enemy.

A few of you seem a little too enthusiastic about the game. It's not amazing, but it certainly is very good.

At times it feels a little to scripted and linear, but the pace and mayhem help hide these flaws. It is far to short for sure, but the multiplayer is great fun and will keep you coming back for more.

I think it was me and soong who were on the nay-sayers side last time...

Suffice to say that I think the graphics and especially the sound are amazing but that the scripted nature of a lot of the missions and the lack of feedback can imho get a bit tiresome and frustrating...

But on the whole a very good game with excellent atmosphere...

Although it's a horrendous cliche, the game is like a rollercoaster.

Everything happens so fast, you just get swept along. There's very little time to exploit holes in scripted events or wander off to investigate invisible walls.

Oh my lord. I've just had one of the most intense single player gaming experiences ever thanks to Call of Duty. I'll relate it in full:

The mission: My British platoon are to capture and defend a German bridge until reinforcements arrive.

Capturing the bridge at night was relatively straightforward. The next day, German soldiers are spotted approaching from the West. From the west end of the bridge, we take up defensive positions. The machine gun I've been lugging around starts proving its worth as German soldiers clamber over fences only to be cut to ribbons.

But we're defending against soldiers coming from two directions. I jog back and forth between two firing spots, helping my squad hold off the ever mounting tide of Germans. What started as a turkey shoot was becoming a lot more serious. My machine gun has almost run dry and the the Germans were starting to overwhelm us. Suddenly I'm down to my manual loading rifle - it's simply not enough to hold them off.

The captain orders us to pull back to the bridge itself, where I find a smaller sub-machine gun and some much needed health. From behind minimal cover we try our best to avoid being overrun. I'm taking more hits now. We're rapidly losing the upper hand.

I'm ordered back across the bridge to a machine-gun nest. I gladly leave the front-line to take up my positon, bullets zinging past my ears as a weave left and right over the bridge. Just as I'm about to go up the steps into the pillbox, I see soldiers approaching from the East. For a split second I freeze. Not only are we being overwhelmed from the West, they are starting to pour in from the East.

I fire off a few innaccurate shots at the distant troops before running up to the machine gun to back up my squad. When I look back out over the water, I see that the Nazis are pouring over the bridge and my squad have retreated to around my machine gun nest.

I start to lay down covering fire, mowing down the closest Germans. I can't tell how may I'm hitting because the muzzle flare from my machine gun is blinding. I start to take hits as they train their rifles on me, so I duck down to consider my next move.

Then comes the cry. "Tank, approaching from the North West! Get a Panzerfaust and take it out!" I realise by looking at the 'objective' display that the order was directed at me. The Panzerfaust rocket launchers are lying in a small trench at the entrance to my pillbox, so I have to poke my head outside to grab one. I see more Germans crossing the field from the East towards the entrance to my little safe-house, so I try to take out as many as I can with what little ammo I have left.

For the next few minutes I shuttle between the stash of Panzerfausts and the machine gun lookout point, firing rockets at tanks as they appear on my radar. In between, I make a few feeble efforts to help my pinned-down fellow soldiers to stave off the never-ending stream of storm-troopers coming from all directions. I can't leave my pill-box as the enemy fire is too intense and my health is too low, so I'm unable to go outside to pickup the medkits and ammo I can see nearby. I feel as though the walls are closing in. I know my fellow soldiers must be dropping like flies outside, but I'd rathar cower than die trying to save them.

Now, whenever I run out to the trench to grab another rocket, I come almost nose to nose with enemy soldiers. My other weapons empty, I'm down to my sidearm. I lean out from behind some boxes, fire off rounds at point blank range, pop back in, reload, and repeat. I few metres away a fellow Brit is helping me to keep this stream of Nazis from getting into the pillbox. I'm forced back into the pillbox again when I see stielhand grenades sailing into my trench from the next wave of enemies across the field.

Back up the steps to the machine gun lookout point, I take aim at the next tank. The tank's fires a shell that explodes right next to me. I fall down, and everything goes silent. The gunfire suddenly sounds miles away and my vision is blurred. I crawl back down the steps to recover in the safety of the trench, and I hear music similar to Addagio for Strings from 'Platoon' playing in the background.

Another boom and my hearing returns. Amazingly, I find a full-auto weapon from a dead German who had made it almost to the pill-box steps. I've never fired one of these guns before, but I get used to it quickly and mop up the immediate threat from across the field.

I'm almost dead. I need to run round to the front of my pillbox and get some more health, no matter what the risk. With my new sub-machine gun, I run out from my safe haven, firing at any incoming soldiers I see. I notice than some of my men are still alive.

I get to the health crates - and all the health is gone! I'm standing in the open a hair's breadth from death. This must be the end. I forget which button reloads my gun, and instead look around uselessly. But what's this? The soldiers are facing away from me. What's happening? I listen - the deafening gunfire has all but stopped.

It dawns on me that reinforcements have arrived. All around there are fresh British troops taking up defensive positions. I'm saved.

That little episode was the closest a game has come to recreating a Zulu-style siege. The feeling of claustrophobia was amazing. Being forced to use my puny .45 when my rifles were dry reminded me of films like Black Hawk Down. I was grateful to my friendly AI troops for helping me to survive the onslaught. What a truly excellent experience.