IGNORED

Alan Partridge

Judgement

Alan vs The Farmers. Can't be beaten. Although his description of the Irirsh stereotype does come close.

AP: "I'm trapped under a cow!"

Man with voice box: "Call Cliff Thorburne"!

AP: "Cliff Thorburne is not primarily a presenter, he is a snoo...ex-snooker player"

;)

Interesting fact - I went to a Hallowe'en party as the Alan Partridge zombie. I won firts prize of a bottle of Vodka.

I like the episode from series 2 where he's got nothing to do, so he goes to the arcade. "Shitty zombies!!" ;)

Both the DVDs are essential purchases for anyone who likes humour, one of the funniest British comedies ever.

Cliff Thorburn is an unknown quantity!

I think the very best Partridge stuff was in the first series. Like this for example:

'Bearing in mind that Pete and Bernie's philosophical stake house is CLOSED.....what is the theme of your collection?'

'The futility of mortallity.'

'Why do I bother?'

AP is/was great.

Apart from the odd scene here and there, the last series was poor. Although the dan episode was indeed pretty good.

The last season as you say doesn't merit mention in the same breath. Something very big missing.

The Chris Morris bit in the farmer's episode has to be a favourite though. Or the very last episode of that series (the party). Or the first time he does the dream sequence, that was just off the scale funny.

"Lynne, these are sex people! You know, sex swappers! Have a look at this... Oh god you've hit fast-forward... It looks like hardcore Benny Hill..."

"People seem to forget that traders need... access tO DIXONS!"

"Lynne, I've pierced my foot on a spike!"

"Pull your foot off!"

"You pull your foot off!"

"Mine's not on a spike!"

"INTO ME!!!!!"

AP is/was great.

Apart from the odd scene here and there, the last series was poor. Although the dan episode was indeed pretty good.

The James Bond episode ("Never Say Alan Again") was pretty good too.

I still love the Tony le Mesmer part from Knowing Me Knowing You - sheer genious.

Fishy

My favorite bit is Joe Beazley and Cheeky Monkey "If you've any sense of dignity, you'll leave the stage!" It always cracks me up. Wasn't as keen on the last series unfortunately, I think Steve Coogan really needs to think about whether Partridge has run it's course.

"Monkey tennis?"

I used to think that the first series was probably the best comedy show ever but it's nowhere near as good as I remember it being. After the Office and Phoenix Nights, Partridge doesn't stand up as well as before.

The second series, after initial disappointment, has really improved after a couple of watches. "Stop getting Bond wrong!"

Knowing Me Knowing You is probably better on the whole, The Keith Barrett Show from the other night had shades of Partridge but it was a little too knowing.

The second series is far more subtle than the first, and really does pick up with repeated viewing. There are so many little things that you miss first time through.

One of the series' biggest problems is context. With series 1, you saw exactly how Alan came to be living in the travel tavern and why everything is as it is.

In series 2, You go in thinking it'll be about Alan back at the BBC in his forged contract from the late Chris Feather.

But it isn't.

Alan has already returned to the BBC, left again in acrimony, had a nervous breakdown, gotten promoted at Radio Norwich, hosts a military quiz show on cable TV and is having a house built, whilst having a relationship with Sonia and "helping" Lynne through her grieving of her mother.

And these things only get revealed slowly at different parts of the series. By the time you fully understand what Alan is about now, it's all over. This is why it's better on repeat viewing, because things start to click and make sense.

The second series is far more subtle than the first, and really does pick up with repeated viewing. There are so many little things that you miss first time through.

Agreed. I didn't like the second series the first time round, but recent re-runs on UK GOLD have made me appreciate it more.

What's all this badmouthing of series 2?!

"Don't be blue, Peter! Needless to say, I had the last laugh, now FUCK OFF!"

"It looks like porridge!"

"Ah, you can't have naked flames on the forecourt"

"Tsk, it's political correctness gone mad..."

"He's called Tex"

"What, Text?!"

GOLD!

Absolute genius, about 50% of speech is made up of partdrige phrases these days:

"not a chance you big spastic, your a mentalist"

" kiss my face"

"jurassic park"

"yes! its an extender"

"ladyboys..."

brilliant, I actually rate series one as one of the best pieces of comedy ever.

Burai, that's a very good point about the expectations of the second series. It really has grown on me to become my favourite AP series now.

The thing I like about Alan is his "everyman" quality. Like when he is presenting the Norfolk Bravery Awards to that woman that lost her hand. After presenting her with the award, he can't help himself glancing down at her replacement hand.

The second series is chock full of little things that you only pick up after repeated viewings. I get the feeling that Alan has hidden feelings for Lynne, almost because she is the one person who actually understands (and tolerates) him. I love the little looks that he gives Lynne, especially when dealing with Sonia. "Golly, an alien judge!".

Some ace moments:

When the tax inspectors arrive and Alan takes off and puts away his air guitar.

Alan with the fake Bono.

The meeting at Alan's house with the Dante's Fires bloke.

The whole Bond episode; "Stop getting Bond wrong!".

Fantastic. :)

CJ

"Infact, erm... I'll give you a raise! Eight? Eight-and-half-thousa- NINE! Nine-and-a-half...? Te- tehhh-tehhhll you what, tell you what, it's nine-and-a-half thousand pounds"

"Yeah... They're ruined"

"Oh hello Michael"

"What you doin?"

"I'm just destroying my cereal"

:)^_^:P

"Never Say Alan Again" is by far the funniest episode of S2 :D

My favourite bit ever is probably the presentation where he ends up vomiting.

"A copy of the Daily Express, ooooooh thats a good paper!"

"Needles to say, you were on drugs."

(in an American accent whilst smoking an imaginary cigar) "You gotta problem with that?!"

Three of my favourite series 2 moments. In my very humble but correct opinion, Alan is one of the best comedy creations ever.

I think I like Knowing Me Knowing You the best. Lines from that are forever etched into my memory:

"He's had more free dinners that I've had hot dinners."

When I was being shown around a house recently, someone actually said to me, "there's enough room to swing a cat in here." It took every fibre of my being to resist replying with "You could couldn't you? You could swing a tiger! Wouldn't want to though. Not unless it had been stunned."

As I pretty much never watch telly I only stumbled upon the alan partridge phenomena last year. I caught an episode of season 1 and just cried with laughter. I then went and bought both series' on DVD. I think series 2 is fantastic, and every part the equal of series 1. Although it is far more subtle.

Just recently bought knowing me knowing you and thought it was pretty woeful.

My absolute favourite line is "you make pigs smoke". Mainly cos the first time I heard it i'd just switched over and caught it totally out of context. Sounded like the best insult ever.