IGNORED

How long do you play short games for?

Sabreman

I'm not really talking about RPGs and the like, which pretty much demand you spend several hours at a time with them. I'm talking about arcade games and how much you replay them. Jim mentioned in another thread that he sometimes has 8-hour sessions on Ikaruga. The game does certainly require that kind of dedication to master, but I find I can't bring myself to play short games - especially shmups - like that (and that is why I'll never 1-credit Radiant Silvergun).

I look at my file on Ikaruga and the total playing time on it is just under 20 hours. I load it up, have one go and then turn it off. Same with Frequency and Amplitude. Very rarely have I played the same song more than once in a session. For some reason I just don't have the heart or possibly the strength of will to keep plugging away at something like that.

So, what do others here do? Do you load up a shmup or a platformer and play it over and over, getting lots of practice in on every session, or do you have a quick blast then turn off?

I depends. If a game really draws me in - the whole atmosphere of it all - then I can spend about 5 hours playing a game. I spent about that amount of time on Ground Control 2 the other day, mainly because one mission was just so fucking hard.

The longest I've spent is on Freelancer, when my mate brought his PC over, and my brother joined in, and the three of us were all playing in this one universe. We started at about 10 in the morning, and the next time I noticed the time properly (of course I got up for food, toilet etc) was about half an hour before midnight.

I used to play Asheron's Call and Anarchy Online for 12-18 hours in one go easily. Such is the way with an mmorpg though. These days, at weekends once the wife and my baby daughter are in bed I'd say anything between 4-8 hours. Through the week it's more like half an hour to an hour.

I can't play shump's for very long. I played R-Type Final for the first time in months earlier I played for about an hour and that was enough for me, I probbably won't play it again for a few weeks. I usually can't play arcade type games for much longer than an hour I just end up getting bored, I feel that I don't always get alot back compared to other games. As the main aim of the games is usually to gain a high score and when playing on my own this isn't always a great incentive to carry on playing unlike finding out the next twist and turn in a story.

At the moment I'm raiding my Xbox Mame files, some of those beauties only get a couple of seconds. It's quite a good way to play though, it's like flicking through your music collection on random - get a quick blast of Mars Matrix or something then move on to Bucky O'Hare.

I don't have enough time to devote hours to one game, maybe Knights of the Old Republic was the last 5 hour session.

I find I tend to play for longer periods on short games, while the thought of having to play n amount of hours on a long game these days almost puts me off playing it altogether.

I think it's a mental thing I can easy get hooked on a short game and lose track of time, while in a lengthy game I start to think "I've been playing for hours and I'm only that far in!".

Almost always a quick blast, with any game. I just can't find the patience to sit down and play constantly with most games, bar ones I really like.

I'm totally the same... Recently, only Metroid Prime has had me playing for longer than I expected to- though I did have a pretty hefty Half-Life session the other day. I usually just play to the next save point or the next level though, unless it's a game I'm really enjoying ;)

Thinking about it, the games I play for the longest are the ones that make it obvious how far I am through the game- with a percentage or a 'token'-style counter or something (Mario's stars etc)... Mario Sunshine, Mario 64, Castlevania: SOTN, Metroid Prime and PGR2 all had me hooked. Sure, they're all great games- but they kept me playing even more, just to get it a few more percent complete :o

EDIT: Ah shit, sorry- I never read the question properly. If I'm playing an arcade game, I can sit there for ages at my PC with MAME and my arcade stick- just replaying the same level over and over and getting better each time. That's what gives you a really sense of achievement and that's what keeps you playing. I've only clocked up an hour and a half on my GC Ikaruga though, I just can't play it with the GC pad :o

I played PS2 Outrun for about 5 hours last Saturday night.

The key with short arcade games is that they are designed to compell you to empty your pockets. With that influence in the home, you can end up spending horrifying amounts of time with a game.