IGNORED

Ikaruga

Transient Curse

Like all great games Ikaruga is easy to pick up and play but impossible to master. I just bought R-Type Final and it is a frustratingly crude shootem-up in the sense it's uncompromising (1hit=death) but Ikaruga on the other hand is great for both mindless shooting and intense concentration. Personally...I haven't passed stage two with chaining....but that's just me......(i am shit at amplitude/frequency)...go figure

Is there anyway to set you credit limit on Ikaruga?

I don't know about you, but when it says 'Continue, 10, 9,8,...' I just can't say no to it. The index finger goes instinctively for the little start butt on the DC arcade stick, and I'm playing it again.

Now that I've had my 8 hours worth, it's on damn free play, so I always just play though it. I guess I could wipe the save?

That said, I could get to the level 3 boss without loosing a life, but I guess that's no great achievement (I think I loose more lives on the level 3 boss than on the level 4 one. But the level 5 motherbitch... grrr)

(I think I loose more lives on the level 3 boss than on the level 4 one. But the level 5 motherbitch... grrr)

Really? The level five boss is a piece of piss. It's that fucker on four that always gets me.

In fact, four is the only level I still have troubles with to this day. The rest I can do consistently with one life, but four just whips the shit out of me.

Despite my 'criticism' in that other thread - I'd quite like to get hold of this.

Except everyone tells me the PAL version is broken on GC, and I don't have a DC.

Is Freeloader/US version the best way to play it on GC? (I already have a FL btw).

Cheers!

-J

Guest Cecil McBee
For some reason they missed a 60Hz mode off and used frame skipping to get it to run at the right speed at 50Hz...

Net Ranking..

I hope PAL Gradius V doesn't suffer the same fate as that also has a Net Ranking feature.

What about the mid boss on (i think) level 3, the one with the 4 lightning bolt things trained on you (2 white 2 black). He just molests me, lives drop like flies. Its a soul destroying game.

What about the mid boss on (i think) level 3, the one with the 4 lightning bolt things trained on you (2 white 2 black). He just molests me, lives drop like flies. Its a soul destroying game.

just work the rythm, then shift yourself.

I died some number of times there too, but managed the rythm in the end.

Despite my 'criticism' in that other thread - I'd quite like to get hold of this.

Except everyone tells me the PAL version is broken on GC, and I don't have a DC.

Is Freeloader/US version the best way to play it on GC? (I already have a FL btw).

Cheers!

-J

I'd imagine it would be my friend.

I've dusted this off in the last couple of days and spent quite some time remembering the first stage patterns.

I'm working on the bit before the boss now, and I have to say I'm addicted again.

My only hope is that I don't get too frustrated by the bird things at the start of stage 2 which put me off last time.

Oh, and I think it's much more satisfying trying to chain from the start.

Getting the DC version would be a mistake unless you have a VGA box etc, as the practice and conquest modes on the GC version allow you so much more scope for practice and refining your technique (play sub-sections of each level in slow mo, watch replays of advanced players in slo-mo etc.) although when you do a section in slow a few times and then go to full speed to practice, it seems incredibly fast :ph34r:

Brilliant game.

2-1 is indeed the first part of the game which really turns gamers away - dont be too disheartened by it, it is a fast, tough section but perfectly possible to sort out.

Slow mode in conquest is your friend when trying to learn to chain 2-1, but if you find it too frustrating, just survive it (all shots go directly towards you, so if you slowly move up 1 pixel at a time, then down 1 pixel a few seconds later, you will survive) and then learn to chain the rest of the chapter first.

Going from slow mode to normal mode is indeed a strange experience - suddenly the game feels about 10 times as fast as you remember it :ph34r:. Many top players believe slow mode is a complete waste of time, but I have used it to learn a few sections (including 2-1).

Slow mode can make you take risks that you otherwise wouldn't and give you bad habits, but it's invaluable for committing some of the waves to memory.

I also get really frustrated trying to chain the boxes bit.

Do you recommend going for maximum chains initially or just surviving and getting as many chains as you comfortably can?

It just depends on how quickly you reach your frustration level and what your overall goals are.

If you want to be scoring 30m+ by the time you are finished, and are determined to do so then learning top chaining from the start is the most efficient way to do it. However only a few people have the patience for this as it is very time consuming indeed.

On the other hand, if you want to be able to chain through the game, and 1credit then you are best off just trying to copy the best conquest videos, or doing intermediate chaining (i.e getting as many as you think you can, and worrying about the rest for later).

This is how I went through the game first time through otherwise it can just all get a bit overwhelming.

Some of my Ikaruga friends have had a lot of fun with a PC shmup called Perfect Cherry Blossom, although I have never played it so I have no idea how good it is.

You can find it here PCB.

As for playtime for me.. I am probably getting near to 400 hours by now. This has been over a 17 month period though :P.

Do you recommend going for maximum chains initially or just surviving and getting as many chains as you comfortably can?

I recommend just being able chain whatever yuo can comfortably at first, if you can successfully chain all the chapters from start to finish without breaking, even if you are missing several chains you'll get big scores(chapter4 is your bitch, just chainin through that at all is a nightmare) and chapter5 is easy money, I tended to aim for scraping S++ rankings and I settled on routines that got me 3.4mill on chapter1 and about 5million on chapter 2 at first, then when my consistency went up I started introducing harder sections into my routinelike killing the trains in 1-4(the long ships with turrets down the sides) and being able to get all the ships up the middle aswell, then being able to get 5/6rows of ships at teh end. And on chapter 2 I'd stuck to the left hand side on the section where there is a solid line of crates up the middle of the screen, then as I got better I opened it up and learnt the whole screen.

I'd personally agree with the method of learning chaining right from the start but also don't try and refine your routine too much as by the time you get to chapter4 your heart will break and you'll question whether you have the will to carry on(well, that what happened to me, I nearly cried at one point, I had to keep practicing till one day, I saw the matrix! and it all made sense) and its thoroughly worth it as chapter5 is great fun. As is the final boss sequence.

Unfortunately I deleted them recently but I had some old Ikaruga vids where the scores weren't so high and the patterns easier to achieve than the vids around today which are mainly about the best techniques, I'd say its worth checking them out as there are bits where people have found easy ways to do sections in comparison to the conquest modes rjpageuk's site is your best choice for all that i.e. the bit about a third of the way through chpter3 there are two rings of enemies going in and out of each other, the conquest technique is erally hard to be consistent with, then I saw a snapdragon video and he just flies into the middle and lets of missiles and takes out all th blacks in one go, then mops up the whites, easy.

Anyway, thats enough from me :P

Yeah I think that's what I'll do.

However I tend to be of the mindset while playing shmups that I'll restart if I die once.

Perhaps I should accept dying a few times? Still never continue though :)

I'm exactly the same, I'll get a great score on chapter1 and am suitably happy, then about a third of the way through chapter2 I crash into a crate or something stupid and just restart :P and I never use a credit, although thats probably down to the extra menu's required to 'start game', too much faff and valuable lost playtime y'see :D