IGNORED

Do you think sega's just tipping their toe in...

potty

Think about it for a second, first they release a new version of the megadrive- that 6 in 1 thing, and now comes news that they're releasing a Saturn pad for the PC

Do you think sega's just tipping their toe in the water?

This is how Sega does business remember last year when they made that Hockey deal with sports interactive? it seemed kinda weird that they'd go after such a small license didn't it?, but it wasn't untill a few months later that it became clear what their true intention was, when they made that 5 year exclusivity deal. This being a very good example of just testing the waters before jumping in head first, other compnaies do this also.

So my question is- what revenue are things like bringing out a controller for PC going to bring in? not much if any. I think the're just testing water here and releasing small hardware after small hardware it doesn't matter if it important or not, hardware is hardware.

All I'm saying is don't be suprised if you see a new sega-sammy home console by 2005 or 2006.

What do you guys think?

I think no.

It costs a (rather large) fortune to release a next gen piece of hardware. I can't see it happening, especially with their publishing deals and against such stiff competition.

if I had the money, I would like a sega console. But seriously, let's face it, the market has got three consoles, one more isn't a good idea.

The revolution doesn't sound like a traditional games console to me, so who knows maybe there will only be 3 players with nintneod doing something different for a different audience.

The revolution doesn't sound like a traditional games console to me, so who knows maybe there will only be 3 players with nintneod doing something different for a different audience.

Like the DS is "different" to the GBA? :P

Yes

Remember they're also working on a GBA2.

Off topic I know but: The DS looks terrible. Every bit the kneejerk "oh shit sony have a 3d console out ahead of us" disaster I prayed it wouldn't be.

On topic and less troll like:

As for Sega, I wish they'd just back another console manufacturer and release all their stuff for that one console, making it a Sega console in everything but the name. Not fussed which but PS3 probably makes the most sense commercially.

As for Sega, I wish they'd just back another console manufacturer and release all their stuff for that one console, making it a Sega console in everything but the name. Not fussed which but PS3 probably makes the most sense commercially.

Surely multi-format would make more sense then being exclusive to one console.

Surely multi-format would make more sense then being exclusive to one console.

Yeah... but I just don't want to have to buy three consoles again... :P (not that I did just for sega stuff)

Plus I can't help feeling their choice of which games went to what consoles was a little random. E.g. with a game they made a big loss on like Shenmue 2 over the DC period they should have put it out on PS2 to try and offset that loss.

The monkey ball games on GC were a stroke of genius though.

No. Its part of the current retro trend.

Namco have given their license to do the same thing but this console in a joystick thing is not new.

Activation, Atari and even a dodge NES machine (with 400 games - that are in fact 10 games with 40 levels - each with its own Menu) have been available.