IGNORED

Sales down at GAME

sandman

Apparently, sales for the first 6 months of this year are down 14% on the same period from last year.

However, a statement by Chief Exec Martin Long that says that the box and PS2 will be £100 each by September caused shares to rise by 7p yesterday.

I thought it was a bit quiet in Game of late.

Particularly when there have been some good games this year - Deus Ex IW, Thief 3, Red Dead Revolver, Hitman Contracts etc.

This year has been poor so far IMO - I can easily understand lower sales. Not to mention increased competition from online retailers.

Wait until the tail end of the year... Halo, Doom, Half-Life, MP2, GTA: SA etc etc. Things are bound to pick up.

I think it's more of a competion thing with online retailers undercutting the likes of game by often large amounts people are just not shopping there anymore... makes sence really game need to become more competative!

Cheers

Quexex

Frankly, I see the likes of HMV as being a better high street games retailer these days. The only thing that Game have over them are second hand sales (Gamestation are still superior however) and the 10-day return policy. I think the Game brand is stagnating in the eyes of gamers.

At this stage in the business cycle last generation the price of new games had dropped to £29.99.

This should have happened Sept '03.

It is now long overdue. Sony had dropped the price of their titles to £35 by March '97 with the release of Porsche Challenge. By the following March the price was down to £29.99. I think Virgin started the price war.

I think the late arrival of Xbox and GC into the cycle boosted profits for a short time and delayed this price drop.

I was wondering the other day what happened to that price drop / war from a few years back; all the high street stores dropped their prices to 30 quid max, but it seems it did perpetuate, which is unfortunate.

Still, I'll be off into Game this afternoon (on the hunt for that BO3 demo :E ).

I thought the drop to £30 happened a lot later than '97- I remember it being part of the whole Cut-throat-fest that accompanied the launch of Driver 1 in june/july '99...

I think you're right with that, as I seem to recall the original Driver being the first big name game to launch around the time the RRP dipped to £30.

I paid £39.99 for FF9, when was that out?

Wasn't the PS2 out by then? I really can't remember.

I'm sure I recall there being a bit of a hoo-haa over FF9 and its price when all the other games were £30

We've had a couple of nice titles as of late, but Driv3r shows that people had loads of money to spend, and nothing to buy (yes, debateable, but it seems that way) - just needed to know what to buy.

It's been poor this year so far, but most sales come in November/December, no doubt San Andreas will be the biggest selling game ever, etc etc. Halo 2 the biggest selling Xbox game. So sales will probably beat every other year too, it's just been a bit of a lull as of late.

Deus Ex IW, Thief 3, Red Dead Revolver, Hitman Contracts etc.

Those games are all boring in my opinion, nothing brilliant. The only new games that i've bought this year have been import games that they've not brought out over here like La Pucelle, Front Mission and Katamari Damashii

Those games are all boring in my opinion, nothing brilliant. The only new games that i've bought this year have been import games that they've not brought out over here like La Pucelle, Front Mission and Katamari Damashii

You forgot ESPGaluda!

Nooooooooooooooo

Etc.

Just two years ago, I used to buy most of my games from Game.

This year, I haven't spent any money in Game so far. Far cheaper online, and plus I was fed up with buying new games that had been opened and played beforehand.

Maybe sales at the like of Play and Amazon are up?

The only game I've bought so far this year from Game was a preowned PS2 copy of BG&E which was suprisingly only £8.

Oh, Singstar & Rallisport 2 s well, but that was using the 4 games + 99p offer so it hardly counts.

I used to spend hundreds at GAME reguarly getting vouchers around £20 but I've spent hardly any money there since last september. I now buy virtually all my games from Play, because of the cheaper prices. But I doubt we will see a price drop this year because you just need to look at the games coming out later on. You can guarantee games like GTA:SA and Halo 2 are going to sell by the bucket load irrespective of the price, so it would make no sense for anyone to drop the price this year. I would imagine we're more likely to see it in the post christmas quiet period.

The only game I've bought so far this year from Game was a preowned PS2 copy of BG&E which was suprisingly only £8.

Oh, Singstar & Rallisport 2 s well, but that was using the 4 games + 99p offer so it hardly counts.

I can't even remember the last time I bought something from Game, I'd sooner save a tenner and order it online. If they cut the prices to £29.99 as Legendary says, I'd probably buy all of my games from there.

Oh, I did buy a Gamecube from them earlier this year- but that's only because the store in the Arndale Centre had a special "GC and any two games for £100" offer on :P

I just picked up the same bargain today in my local game. And the BO3 demo, haaaaarrrr

Im off to crash into things now.

You're silly, that's what that's about.

It was a silly decision, i'll admit.

But still, Game charging £34.99 for a game thats supposed to (I guess..?) have an RRP of £19.99 is wrong right?

EDIT: But... i'm wrong, looks like the RRP is £34.99. Ah well.

I've never bought a new game from Game, I would always use the net. I wonder how long Game will be able to keep their prices so high, every year they must be losing more and more sales to the likes of Play and Amazon. I suppose they are constricted on how low they can go by overheads, HMV get round through diversity I guess.

I've never bought a new game from Game, I would always use the net. I wonder how long Game will be able to keep their prices so high, every year they must be losing more and more sales to the likes of Play and Amazon. I suppose they are constricted on how low they can go by overheads, HMV get round through diversity I guess.

Who really uses Play and Amazon? Us? A few other people that know of it?

Obviously more than a few, but loads of people buy games for £40 on release, more than you'd expect. 11 Full Spectrum Warriors were sold for £37.99 on the Friday alone of it's release.