IGNORED

Exile

matt0

I used to love this game. I never got anywhere at it because it took almost an hour to load from tape and as long again to actually save your game.

Thinking back I can't believe how advanced it was with "real" physics, inertia, particle effects, loads of little critters running around with minds of their own (if I played it now I'm sure the illusion would be cruely broken with big sticks...)

I just used to fly around in the big central cavern waging war between the little monkey things and a big dalek like robot who lived in a cave up near the roof and never actually try to play the game properly...

The Amiga and ST versions lacked some of the magic, I could never really get into them.

Anyone else used to play this?

That's a great find!

I wish I still had my copy, it was one of those goofy "prestige" titles with the oversized plastic box and dodgy sci-fi novella explaining the background story. Alas, all my BBC stuff is long gone.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the digitised speech on the Electron version said it best: "Czzxzxxzzch tzxzxzxxzx ezzcccczzccx!" Ah, thems was the days.

Citadel was better.

"See-ta-dell, See-ta-dell, SEE-TA-DELL!!! sumieoioor soft-ware pre-cents SEE-TA-DELL!"

There was a thread on here ages ago where you had to guess what game a bit of speech came from, whoever guessed got to post the next one. I wanted to post that to take the piss but I never won... :)

Citadel was better.

"See-ta-dell, See-ta-dell, SEE-TA-DELL!!! sumieoioor soft-ware pre-cents SEE-TA-DELL!"

Bah. It might have done that on your posho BBC Model 'B', but us 'Leccy 0wnerz were keeping it real. Man.

Still got the Electron tape version, with 2 other tapes of save games. Got the hint sheets, the runes translated, read the novella about 10 times. Got the old mags with the reviews (Electron User reprinted Micro User's review and simply changed the score as the scrolling jerked - wankers). Never quite finished the game..got to the end with... spoiler

the 2 crew members floating in a prison in suspended animation and the maggot machine. I know you need to destroy it to cause an earthquake but i never could.

Fabulous game, in my top 3 of all time. Getting down to the bottom of the windy shaft was an all-time great gaming highlight. Never had such a sense of discovery since. The day i found the BBC emulator Beebem was immense, then shortly after Edge gave it 10/10. I thought i was the only person around these parts to play it.

exile.JPG

Which is the best version of this game, if I were only to play one (on an emulator)?

I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but I was quite partial to the Amiga version...

Cue cries of "BURN HERETIC!"

I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but I was quite partial to the Amiga version...

Cue cries of "BURN HERETIC!"

It wasn't bad... It's just it was different. I think they changed some of the map layout and I didn't like the style of the graphics.

The A500 version was much better then the A1200 / CD32 one though which had completely reworked graphics and massive sprites so you couldn't see more then two foot infront of you.

Thanks. I was previously considering the CD32 version, as I was thinking of trying to play it on an Xbox and I thought the bigger graphics would help when played at a distance, but I'll give the A500 one a go.

I had it for the BBC but it was a copied one so I never had the 'novella' to put the word in to unlock the game. I'd always just guess words and eventually the game would start. I couldn't tell if it was a demo though (from not putting in the correct words).

Anyway, it was jolly fun, by I was far too young to take it seriously so just played around. Which is testament to the greatness of the game that I could simply mess about with it for several hours without getting bored.

I should really go back and complete it.

• 1 year later...

I had this, when I was a kid on the Amiga. Wasn't it supposed to be really long? As a little kid however I'm rather ashamed to say that I had a slight fear of being alone - as a result I found the hours I spent on the game a harrowing experience.

Anyone mind telling me what the story was? I remember that you were stuck on an alien planet, had you crashed there or something?

Exile is a game that I *really* *really* admire from afar but don't really enjoy playing. Controls are too fiddly for me but the interactivity of the game is amazing with all those different ways that items can be used and the like. If someone made a version that mapped happily to a PlayStation pad and wasn't inhumanly difficult to aim in I'd happily play it.

A bad man did genetic experiments on earth. He was exiled to the planat phobos . Years later you're sent to investigate the lack of communications with a landing party there. You arrive and instantly lose your ships destinator meaning you're stuck.

The novella tells you about the crew, their meeting with triax etc and tells you about all the caves you'l eventually find.

heres where i am currently..about 25% in

ex7ey.jpg

BBC Exile was stunning at the time and unlike a lot of retro "classics" I can still enjoy it now.

So who won the Citadel prize? They must be hanging around here, or maybe they got a nice-looking young lady pregnant and dropped out of 'the scene'.

I got the certificate saying something like "Well done, you've completed Citadel, but you haven't won a prize", it's probably still up in the loft.

Citadel was a bloody good game, and I hope nobody will argue with me about that statement.

what about palace of magic? it got a bit of bad press but i think its spectacular...a lot more logical and focussed than citadel.

iv still got them all in my loft. infact im writing a feature on them.

what about palace of magic? it got a bit of bad press but i think its spectacular...a lot more logical and focussed than citadel.

iv still got them all in my loft. infact im writing a feature on them.

I never played Palace Of Magic, I'll give it a look, though.

As a student, I lived next door to the guy that runs 'The Stairway To Hell' website, we got talking one night at a party, as neighbours do, and well, one thing didn't lead to another.

He was quite suprised by my knowledge of BBC software, but maan the guy knew his onions. If you're a Beeb fan than have a look at his site, it's very good.

PS. Yes, as a primary school student I did wear Clarks' shoes, they were "sensible/smart and hard-wearing" and all, like.

I'm afraid I bought it, but couldn't understand it at all - I'd read the manual/novella many times, but just couldn't for the life of me work out how to get out of the first room.

I'd always assumed it was flawed shite, then years later found out it was lauded as on the finest games ever. I should probably travel back in time by emulator and redeem myself.

Citadel, on the other hand, rocked my socks.