Well bugger me a FPS that doesnt bore me

Dimahoo

Picked up a GC yesterday and this was in the bundle.

Now i've not really seen many a' GC game but this impressed me.

Its Old i know. But i've got to say i quite impressed with this. Dunno why?

I''d been getting rather tired of FPS since Far Cry.

But this, this has something about it. I dunno what. Nice errie atmosphere and a very similar feel to the orignal 2D adventures i played, yet remaining in 3D.

I find the lack of rotate on the second stick rather hindering but i've been forced to get used to it as its quite nice. The ball mode is done rather well too, and i found the scenary far better then i expceted.

The levels are somewhat generic but thats only to be expected i guess. Even so, they're still quite nice and a joy to explore (i hate most games where you explore - as your confined or the gameplays judders, or you get lost easy).

The speical FX are cool to. The element/visor effects and simple spot effects like blasting the ice are quite effective.

Anyway. Just though i'd share this morning 8 hours with you.

If i was to review this, it would get an 8. Theres not many FPS games that work on a console (not on the PS2 at least) with this TS2, and Halo being the best and not many FPS that work like a platformer.

Yet Ninty have seemingly done that.

Its good to be back. :)

The [game] bored the hell out of me and a big FPS fan.

There's your problem then. :)

I've started it up again recently (this time with the Fusion suit - my, it looks... bright in 3D) and it's all coming flooding back again! Hopefully I won't know my way around too well to spoil it this time, but it's been a fair while since I first finished it so I should be alright.

One of my favourite games ever.

It's not an FP-.... oh, you know the rest.

Its in FP and you shoot. I admit, its feel's more like a platform game, but then, thats what many FPS games aspire to be.

It's the lack of free-look/cross-hair, plus the inclusion of a lock-on system and puzzle-like environments that require physical upgrades that ultimately separate it from what I'd consider to be typical 'FPS' traits. Probably why you're enjoying it so much. :)

I've been replaying MP in short bursts this week (along with Ace Golf's infuriating, infuriating luck-based missions) and it's been lovely to play through it again (so far) having already mastered the controls, L-strafing and L-jumping with ghey abandon.

Magmoor Caverns is still one of the most boring, aesthetically unpleasing videogame areas ever, though.

And no, it's not an FPS - it's The Nintendo Formula in First Person :)

FPTNF

The great thing about MP is the feeling of isolation you get from the game and its environments. You really feel as if it's you against the galaxy. This is why, fundamentally, the multiplayer aspect of MP2 seems so daft to me.

I think the problem is one of time.

I have little time so like to play a game i can fit in that time.

But i was up at 4 this morning, and played this till 11. And i really enjoyed it.

The openess of the game means you can get a bit ahead of yourself, then get stuck without the relevent gun, but i'm guessing you follow the prompts.

It's not an FP-.... oh, you know the rest.

Its in FP and you shoot. I admit, its feel's more like a platform game, but then, thats what many FPS games aspire to be.

To be honest, it feels a lot more like a Zelda game than any other FPS in that you lock on to enemies, circle strafe them, and can gain enemy information when locked on. Just because it plays in first person mode and you shoot thing doesn't mean it's an FPS. Does that mean StarFox is an FPS, or The Twin Snakes? :)

I always thought the whole "not an FPS" thing started when some X-box fanboys said it was shit in comparison to Halo and some Nintendo fanboys needed a counter argument?

I loved it from start to... about 3/4 way through, when I didn't play it for a few weeks and couldn't get back into it.

Metroid Prime is a truly beautiful game. I think it's the music and audio effects that do it for me. I would vote it for the best soundtrack of any game ever alongside Rez. Combined with the superb graphics, it's presentation is just outstanding.

And yes, play it like an adventure game, not a shooter.

Its a platform FPS and slower paced then Halo, but none the worse for it.

Halo is a more acurate description of a FPshooter, i grant you, but then in this case - Serious Sam or Painkiller are the uber FPS as they're pure arcade an nothing else. But they're not much good for long periods.

I played Metroid from 0400 - 11.30. Then i had to go to work.

Dunno about the music though, its atmospheric in parts but i actually prefer Super Metroid, because its simpler.

Graphically its strange, because you play the opening hub, which is quite nice, but then get to the electrical walkway sections (before the ruins hub) and the view from them s rather quite nice. Buts its that whole vertigo like effect.

I like games like that. Both Halo and this do a decent job of portraying that.

Can we just leave it at "The Super Metroid/Link To The Past gameplay formula (incremental progression via item acquisition) in 3D, viewed from a first person perspective"? :)

I tried my best but I couldn't really get into it. Got quite far, but got fed up with the pointless backtracking, still having to wrestle with the controls, and eventually got bored.

Shame, as it's a well-made game overall.

It's my favourite game of this generation, and definitely one of my favourite games of all time. Then again, I didn't mind the backtracking at all- I really liked it, infact. The combat is perfectly realised, and it's what seperates it from other console FPSs, it's also what makes it such a joy to play. And the music, especially that superb track that plays when you're choosing your save game? It's fan-bloody-tastic :)

It's my favourite game of this generation, and definitely one of my favourite games of all time. Then again, I didn't mind the backtracking at all- I really liked it, infact. The combat is perfectly realised, and it's what seperates it from other console FPSs, it's also what makes it such a joy to play. And the music, especially that superb track that plays when you're choosing your save game? It's fan-bloody-tastic :)

I've passed your details on to Sprite Machine.

May [DEITY_OF_CHOICE-IF-ANY] have mercy on your [EXTRA-BODY_EXISTENCE_VESSEL_OF_CHOICE-IF-ANY].

So it's a "TSMLTTPGF(IPVIA)I3DVFAFPP"?

Rolls off the tongue, don'tit? :)

That's the idea - discourages people from talking about it as they know we'll pedant them into the ground if they get even one letter in the ludicrous acronym wrong.

you do shooting and it's in the first person.

how can it not be a First Person Shooter?

So do lots of games at some point. Sudeki has FP shooting in it, as does MGS2 and TTS. OOT, MM and TWW all have first person arrow shooting in them. Do they count.

It's an adventure game. The shootin' and the warrin' and the fussin' and a'fueding ain't the be all and end all of the game.