Lost Prophets

Thread Owner

Awful Linkin Park-by-numbers tunes? Check

Tattoos paid for by record company? Check

Increasingly hardcore piercings to prove credibility? Check

Identikit black t-shirts and washed out jeans? Check

Overuse of 'Everybody bounce' and '1234' live? Check

Absolute desparation to be from SoCal and not SoWales? Check

Seriously, has there ever been a worse band in the history of the world?

Edit - Spelling like a 5y.o.

Ah, they used to be alright.

I haven't paid them any attention since I saw them a fair few years back at the Cardiff festival thingy. Nothing special though, and I can imagine them having gotten worse over the years...

Ah, they're alright. The opening track on the new album is killer. They were supporting Metallica in Dublin a few weeks ago, but their sound was terrible. You could barely hear the vocals. Plus, they were having water bottles thrown at them through the entire thing!

I saw them about 4 years ago supporting Earthtone9. They struck me as an indie-rock band with some metallic leanings. They weren't terrible, but the singer was incapable of staying in tune. Two years later, there they were on the main stage at Ozzfest, now sounding like All-American nu-metal from the Ross Robinson production line. The singer was still incapable of staying in tune.

Earthtone9, on the other hand, were an exceptional & unique band who toured incessantly and released some excellent albums & EPs on an independent label, but faced with apathy from both media & industry, called it a day at the end of 2002.

It's all wrong.

Another point in Lostprophets favour is that they have a sense of humour. I couldn't see Linkin Park etc. doing (and releasing) covers of Rachel Stevens, Justin Timberlake, the Strokes, Phill Collins and that cheesy James Bond theme (thats off the top of my head - I think there are others)

Also, from their website:

Okay, welcome to our message board, or the battle zone, as it is now know.

If your interested in insulting us or hurling abuse (as we know a lot of you are) please follow these simple guidlines we have drawn up, to aid you in you hatred.

1. Always start your comment with a pun on our name, for example 'lost posers', lost muppets' or 'twat prophets'. This will ensure that you have our full attention.

2. Next throw in a general insult, the more homophobic and bigoted the better, eg 'you are gay faggot fucking bender prettyboy poofs'. This will add a much needed weight to your post.

3. Now for your point. You may have your own idea about what you want to say, but we think you'd be better off following the trend and not bucking convention. Here are the most popular reasons for peoples anger, choose one or more.

1a. You are unoriginal and you rip off other bands.

2a. We don't like the clothes you wear, they are too fashionable.

3a. You are prettyboys, and not ugly enough.

4a. You are arrogant and stuck up.

5a. You are untalented and will never be as good as the American bands we worship.

6a. My band is better.

4. Okay we are nearly at the end of your post, now is the time to add any little bit of personal insult you may have about any one of us. Remember, the more swear words and homophobia, the better.

5. Now to end the post, you must always use a basic form of sarcasm, and sign off with something like 'love' or 'yours lovingly', and then your amusing made up name.

6. A few points to remember,

1b. Never, and we mean NEVER leave an email address so that we can contact you and actually take you up on some of your comments. Anonymity is always best!!

2b. Remember to mis-spell a few of the words, and to include at least one sentence which doesn't make sense.

Okay. you are now ready to enter the world of fun and abuse that is the LP Forum, happy hunting kids!!.. .

Another point in Lostprophets favour is that they have a sense of humour.

Aye. When they were having water bottles thrown at them at the Metallica gig. The lead singer was just standing there going "Ooh, just a little high there." :)

They're ok - the original release of their first album is the dogs, i've got a nice cd-r version of it, before it was re-released as the one that did so well. Only differences are the way its mixed and some of the samples used if I remember correctly.

Haven't heard their latest album

Anyway we all know the best band to come out of Wales is Funeral for a Friend, but unfortunately its EPs better than albums again

(Name dropping note: Of course I would say that seeing as a very good freind of mine shared their first band with the Funeral's current drummer! - god i'm so kewl)

They're balls, but y'know.

They're from Pontypridd, what do you expect....

You outside now.

I dont mind the prophet bashing at all and seeing as I know them its most amusing.

Whats your beef with Ponty not all from there are scum. I'll have you know.

Edited to add the best band in Wales are the super furry animals.

You outside now.

I dont mind the prophet bashing at all and seeing as I know them its most amusing.

Whats your beef with Ponty not all from there are scum. I'll have you know.

Edited to add the best band in Wales are the super furry animals.

Half my family are from Trefforest, so...

Shithole...

Earthtone9, on the other hand, were an exceptional & unique band who toured incessantly and released some excellent albums & EPs on an independent label, but faced with apathy from both media & industry, called it a day at the end of 2002.

It's all wrong.

Mate, that's only the half of it. They always had 'interest' which never got anywhere. They've been told, in no particular order :-

Too old

Not fashionable enough

Too heavy

Not heavy enough

Too outspoken/uncompromising

Not entertaining enough live

It's unfair to say that Copro were crap - they just didn't have the financial power or industry clout to make anything happen. Copro's manager personally sacrificed a lot to get them the support slot on the Fear Factory tour, but he couldn't afford to send them on any really high-profile tours that could've got them properly noticed.

Seeing more 'mainstream' bands such as Lost Prophets, Raging Speedhorn and Hundred Reasons, all of whom supported et9 at some point, going on to bigger things without returning the favour must've been irksome for them, but to their huge credit they've never resorted to bitterness about their situation.

Sorely, sorely missed. As I keep saying, best British band by far in the last 10 or 15 years.

As for Lost Prophets - not my bag at all.

OMG its like they're saying what i'm thinking.....

It sucks that genuinely good bands (Cave-In, Poison The Well, Billy Mahonie... off top ov me ead) do poorly whilst one trick retards like them prosper so much [/semi youthfull naivety] AND DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON IRONIC COVERS

You really need to chill out, Patronsaint. There's a place for serious work-of-art music and there's a place for fun, not-taking-itself-completely-seriously pop music. Of course the pop music does better because there are a lot of people out there who don't want to appreciate music as an art, they just want something light that they can enjoy. And there's nothing wrong with this.

As for Lostprophets, they really don't deserve hatred spewed at them for making a slightly higher-class and less cynically-produced brand of pop music. Perhaps their problem is that their songs are too good for pop, and hence vaguely comparable to 'real' bands, whereas no-one bats an eyelid at Will Young's latest song.

And anyway, I don't think Cave-In are the best example to contrast Lostprophets with after their sold-out, Foo-Fighters-without-the-tunes, piece-of-shit last album. ;)

And anyway, I don't think Cave-In are the best example to contrast Lostprophets with after their sold-out, Foo-Fighters-without-the-tunes, piece-of-shit last album. ;)

Ironically they were the support for the Foo Fighters when I went to see them. Didn't think much of them like.