Cover version of a Nanase Aikawa song

Pochacco

Watching CD:UK late in the night and just heard a snippet of Jennifer Ellison singing 'Bye Bye Boy'. According to Amazon this was released 24 November, 2003 and is being re-released shortly.

Jennifer-Ellison-Bye-Bye-Boy-294776.jpg

I thought the tune sounded familiar and it's just dawned on me that it's the cover version of the brilliant Nanase Aikawa song entitled 'BYE BYE' released in 1996!!! :)

single02.jpg

Gosh how could they have taken a classic J-Rock song and ripped it to shreds! Why?!?

I'd like to hear this song now just to hear what she's done to it. The original had a great guitar riff. I must listen to my Nanase stuff again soon, it's been about 3 years since her last good CD. anyway, It's a shame that nobody's covered a better song of Nanase's, a lot of her stuff is pop or rock genius. A record producer could probably "create" an artist whose team translates and modifies jpop songs for the western market and they'd do very well.

I think this thread is more about what they did to an overseas song that some of us remember, and the title should be edited as such.

I've just listened to it and it's exactly the same note for note except they seem to be using midi for the music on this version instead of a rock band :) If they were going to change nothing at all they could just have used the Karaoke version of the original song and put her voice over the top.

Well, it was one of Nanase's first songs from 8 years ago, before she became really good with her second album. Maybe Jennifer Ellison will keep using Nanase tracks if this one is a hit, but I doubt it because the rest of the songs are really good and worth bringing over here (with recognition of Nanase)

Crimson is really good - but I still like her 1st album, Red :unsure:

There was a song out in Malaysia a few years back that reached number 1 - it was sung in English funnily enough (as opposed to Malay) and went a bit like this...

'Hurry hurry hurry, I eat my rice and curry' - and no I'm not kidding. I reckon the song would do well and give the Vindaloo song a run for its money.

:D:)

I just put Bye Bye by Nanase on and the start of it has the beginning of Telegram Sam by T-Rex on it :o

Here you go, this is the original Bye Bye Boy:

Nanase Aikawa - Bye Bye

Bear in mind this was 1996 and Japan ;) but it's still catchy even now I think. The cover version isn't.

How isn't it? How can one be more catchy than the other when the tune is identical?