resident evil 4

bandersnatch

normally I find the control method on resi games just too intrusive and anouying this one however looks like they have sorted it out so I'm looking forward to a fresh approach to the RE series... oh yes! I also hope they soprt out the clumsey inventory system too!

Cheers

Quexex

I'd completely forgotten about Killer 7...

Resi looks fantastic though. Coming from a one-time obsessive fan of the series who in the end just got tired of the format, this new direction is very welcome indeed.

That's how I feel - I love the series, but they've really dragged it through the mill and done everything with it now, there's no where else to take it without drastically altering it. Not only does the prospect of it all being shaken up excite me, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like they've hit gold with the direction they've taken it.

Resi 4 is rockin'.

The demo at E3 was presumably the start of the game, and after a few minutes you reach a small village with several villagers wandering about (holding pitchforks). You get a really smart pair of binoculars that you can use to zoom in and see practically anything at extraordinary detail - zoom in on the fire in the middle, and you'll see a body being burnt at the stake. Neat.

My first go through was a bit reckless; I thought I had good timing, but I completely fluffed up my run through the middle of the village, and within no time I had about 6 angry simpletons after me. I think they were shouting things at me, but it was pretty difficult to hear what was going on.

Anyway, I ended up climbing up a church tower (to which I found some lovely health packs and ammo). I killed a villager who was standing on the roof next to me, who then rolled down the roof and tumbled onto the ground below in true Western stylee. Looking down the ladder I had just climbed up, I saw a number of villagers gathering at the bottom. I attempted to jump out of the window, but it wouldn't let me. Before I could decide what I should do, they started throwing fire bombs into my location, which was both toasty and fatal. Hmm.

My other attempts were more planned, but still ended up with either A) A pitchfork in my head or B) A chainsaw in my head.

Another highlight of the demo came right near the start, when, having just entered a building and killed the person inside (muahaha), you find the door you’ve just used is “being blocked by something on the other side”. You are forced to run back through the house, and when you peek through the window you can see a number of villagers peeking back through. It’s a spooky moment! You can take out one or two by shooting through the window, but it is more fun to just dive through the glass and take um all on at once.

Bring it on!

You Are Dead.

Arse.

The game plays like a mixture of Siren, Resi Evil and Max Payne. It does feel more action biased, but there are still puzzles highlighted in obvious ways. You need the GREEN KEY for the GREEN DOOR etc. The Max Payne\ 3rd person shooter influence is certainly there, and although it is slightly disappointing to see the series take this new direction (though necessary, I’m not sure such an extreme change was needed) , the game displays an undeniable quality that few games have ever matched. The Siren influence is perhaps the most interesting, as it is able to match the same feeling of being the hunted and the enemy shows similar strengths in doing whatever they can to catch up with you.

The pacing has been increased massively, but the atmosphere has not been lost in the process.

My only real fault is the difficulty in aiming. The controls are so sensitive that getting a headshot is made extremely difficult - especially as the enemy is able to duck and dodge with near-perfect timing.

The prospects of Resi 4 are simple staggering. From my admittedly limited and ultimately futile goes at the game, I managed to die in a completely different way each time. Every play through I ending up making a ‘last final stand’ in a different part of the village, and every time I was killed by a different villager. I found the game incredibly difficult, but I do have an uncanny ability to ‘pinball’ from zombie to zombie in Resident Evil games.

One of the most promising games in development, and I cannot wait to get another chance to play it.

most Capcom games don't do it for me with their clunky control mechanisms.

:angry:

Are you talking about Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, and Viewtiful Joe (controls are as tight as a virgin's pussy) here?

Nice report by the way, Pete.

Cheers Pete, that sounds brilliant. I love how this new direction looks, it needed this big change - a clean slate, totally different from the previous ones - or people would be saying its not changed enough. Can't wait to try it.

I'm also amazed as to the visuals they've got out of the Cube, much like MGS, Halo, HL2 it shows with *proper* R&D and time (and talent) whats possible on todays machines.

I really can't wait – this excites me just as much as anything else on the horizon at the moment. I'm a huge fan of the Resident Evil series to date, but this change in direction has me stupidly excited. The footage I've seen so far looks superb, and it'll be interesting to see how the game 'feels' now that they seem to have upped the pace somewhat.

Totally agree. This is real Survival Horror.

ah, i just read your review.

i've heard the game is only fun online. that said, i find it really odd capcom isn't releasing it on xbox live.

It was also reviewed in the second episode of Consolevania... It was a surprising favourable review and one that I didnt really agree with at all.

Especially the part about the incredibly dodgy A.I, not being down to sloppy programming but due to the ingame characters actually panicking! Yeah! Riiiight!

The only slight niggle I have is with the setting and story, believe it or not.

Does Umbella feature at all in Resi 4? I mean, it would be nice if their legacy somehow came into it somewhere, but I'd have a hard time believing that they didn't have something to do with the strange goings-on in the game.

I dunno, it's just me being pedantic I suppose.

Does Umbella feature at all in Resi 4? I mean, it would be nice if their legacy somehow came into it somewhere, but I'd have a hard time believing that they didn't have something to do with the strange goings-on in the game.

I dunno, it's just me being pedantic I suppose.

afaik, umbrella is no more in RE4.

http://cube.ign.com/objects/015/015821.html

The title takes place in 2004 some six years after the events that transpired in Resident Evil 2. The government has destroyed the Umbrella Corporation, which has been behind just about every plot and disgusting bio-chemical mutation in the survival horror series.

Horses-for-courses.

I'm personally sick to death of the story of RE and felt that they needed to change the direction somewhat as it was getting very stale.

It looks amazing, probably my most anticipated game for the Cube, after Zelda. From the looks of that video, we'll have a good old mansion or castle to explore, nice. :P

I wonder if that explosion at the beginning of the movie, is the one thats in Resident Evil: Apocalypse?

I've already pre-ordered my copy, can't wait.

Horses-for-courses.

I'm personally sick to death of the story of RE and felt that they needed to change the direction somewhat as it was getting very stale.

Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly agree that the use of Umbrella as the central, overbearing cause of the continuing zombie fest is all but redundant now, what I could have articulated better is what I would like to see in RE4. For example:

Umbrella is gone. No more. But - someone has picked up the pieces and decided to piss around with Umbrella research, thus continuing the legacy and thus lending credibility to RE4's setting.

I know, I know, it's pedantry of the highest order and won't be a factor in the final product, but seeing as the rest of the resi series has been rooted in some sort of psuedo-science, it would please me if the lended the same credibility (loose use of the word, believe me), even if it's only in part.

Come to think of it, we've fought our way through so many zombie encounters, solved so many puzzles, with so many different characters, spanning across so many games - all with the hope that we'll eventually get to overthrow the evil Umbrella Corporation once and for all. And then Capcom go and take that away from us.

Aw, man. ^_^

I'm sure they will get the pace right in terms of action / explore.

The video looked simply stunning. I don't see how anyone could have any doubts. I'm glad they did something new with the series, each game was getting far to familiar.

Come to think of it, we've fought our way through so many zombie encounters, solved so many puzzles, with so many different characters, spanning across so many games - all with the hope that we'll eventually get to overthrow the evil Umbrella Corporation once and for all. And then Capcom go and take that away from us.

Aw, man. ^_^

i am in complete agreement.

damn capcom.

My most awaited games this year, in order, look like this:

1. Resident Evil 4

2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

3. Halo 2

4. DOOM 3

5. Fable

6. Legend of Zelda

Its a prodigious list, and one that has me worried both for the health of my wallet come the last quarter, and my social life also. :)

Metal Gear would be top, if it was a plot furthering sequel, rather than a backstory-loaded prequel. However, the fact that you don't play the same Solid Snake we've all come to know and love pushes it down a notch.

It was much the same with Resi 0, though. Just the fact that it was a prequel meant I didnt look forward to it in the same vein as a true series furtherance. Resi 4 is that furtherance, and, having just seen the EDGE E3 dvd, it looks incredible... almost disgustingly so.

At least MGS:SE should answer a few more narrative questions than Resi 0 did, however. Resi 4 on the other hand, looks like more of a logical progression than I could ever have hoped for with this new change of direction. Not all that different in heart from the previous titles - take Racoon PD, add a wealth of intelligent zombies and Splinter Cell's aiming system, et voila - any fears I had for Resi 4 have now been wholly dispelled. Can't wait :P

It was also reviewed in the second episode of Consolevania... It was a surprising favourable review and one that I didnt really agree with at all.

Especially the part about the incredibly dodgy A.I, not being down to sloppy programming but due to the ingame characters actually panicking! Yeah! Riiiight!

We didn't actually say that.

The AI is fucked, but the experience isn't really ruined so much by it. You can kid yourself that it's panic, and wing it.

We are, after all, talking about a series that worked even when you couldn't control your character effectively.

R.

hold on, let me make sure i'm reading this correctly.. you're saying zero is better than cvx? :(

yeah i'd have to say that code v was better, rez 0 was scarier, remake was the best, 2 is great as well. never played 3, my friend said it was way 2 short though.

intelligent zombies?

sounds like an oxymoron in my book. :(

siren

oh right, those are human cadavers, not zombies. nevermind.

actually, there is a running theory (more a hunch, if i can recall it properly) that an exact material clone of a human being would not possess consciousness--certainly not in the way that the original human does. yet this is merely a hunch, a lingering cultural notion of the soul, for if one accepts a materialistic explanation of the mind then no other result is possible. that is to say, we are all intelligent zombies.