resident evil 4

bandersnatch

They left too many loose ends (Wesker?) not to bring Umbrella into it somewhere.

Also:

First half of CV > Resi Zero > Second half of CV

CV was waaaaay too long. But Zero has a naff bad guy and ending.

yeah the bad guy at the end was rubish. i think cv's was the best!

the giant boss in rezi 4 looks unreal.

CV was waaaaay too long.

Err, no. C:V was your standard 12-16 hour Action Adventure.

The other Resi titles weighed in at 6-10 hours first time through. I even managed to complete Resi 2 in 1 hour 10 minutes after repeated play.

If C:V seemed long, it was only long for a Resi title. And only because the others in the series were far too short as Action Adventures go.

Next to any other decent AA... Soul Reaver, MGS, Headhunter, Shenmue II... Resident Evil titles other than C:V look decidedly shabby in play length first time through. Luckily they've always been fairly replayable, with a wealth of bonus modes to unlock.

C:V had these modes AND a suitably lengthy main game to boot. Everything you could want from the genre - still the best Resi of the lot, IMO.

I'm really looking forward to RE4 too, the only RE I've completed to this day has been CV on the dreamcast. I found it quite hard, and a tad scary. . . bit of a survival horror pansy, me. That's why I like the look of RE4: more action and hopefully a sensible control scheme.

Those graphics are sodding amazing too <_<

Come to think of it, we've fought our way through so many zombie encounters, solved so many puzzles, with so many different characters, spanning across so many games - all with the hope that we'll eventually get to overthrow the evil Umbrella Corporation once and for all. And then Capcom go and take that away from us.

Aw, man. :)

I understand your feelings on this man. But surely the fact that you're playing a character in a survival horror game means that you can never really beat the bad guys. You only need to survive. The fact that the bad guys can't be beaten just makes you that much more scared and helpless.

Mark my words though, there will be an Umbella influence in Resi 4. I'm sure of it.

Everyone who loves videogames is excited by Resi 4. I think we should be. Lets hope loads of Playstation owners after playing GTA SA all over Christmas, are hyped into going out to buy a cheap Gamecube in the spring and give it a go!

I am going to make the completely unfounded proclamation that anyone who considers CV the best of the franchise wasn't there at the beginning and isn't a tr00 fan.

Resident Evil 2 is quite clearly the pinnacle of the series.

It's very hard for me to seperate Resi 2 and Resi C:V.

The former is my most completed game of the series. Indeed, I practiced so much to get the rocket launcher (both characters, all 4 scenarios), that I was overjoyed when I completed the game in 1hr 10 mins... only to realise I needed to do it on normal, rather than easy :(

More importantly though, Resi 2 was my introduction to the series, only going back to play the original after completing the sequel. Doing so that way exposes the gulf between the two - Resi 2 ups the ante in every conceivable way.

The characters have more depth. Chris and Jill were always a bit one-dimensional. Especially Compared to Leon & Claire, who both grow through bonds with their respective NPC's (Sherry Birkin, Ada Wong), more than Chris with Rebecca or Jill with Barry.

Resi 2 also gives more weight to narrative conspiracy - Police Chief Irons working for Umbrella - while adding both to the backstory of Umbrella and the virus (the William Birkin FMV, narrated by his wife). It also provides true realisation of the magnitude of the Umbrella Corporations tyrannical influence ... a whole city infected then nuked, and a formidable, terrifying Tyrant sent to hunt down YOU specifically.

But then, y'see, Resi C:V, on the other hand, was both a big deal for me, as i bonded withmy Dreamcast in a way I didn't with any other console (and saw C:V as a killer app for it). But despite the rose-tinted's (which I hoestly believe is a big reason behind the Resi 2 hype nowdays - it really doesn't stand up so well any more) C:V upped the ante again from Resi 2.

Length. Set piece scares. Narrative depth... adding to the lore of Umbrella, the history of the company, and introducing a new behind the scenes player in the form of Wesker's mysterious new employers. Wesker himself was a massive talking point, as was Alfred Ashfords cross dressing tendancies, and Alexia Ashfords maglomaniacal presence. Oh, and Steve Burnside's unfortunate journey and sad end (but is he REALLY dead, hmm?).

Pivotally, though, the return of Chris, and centrally, the establishment of Claire as not only the franchises premier female, but the series' iconic character. Jill has no real bonds to the other main Resi characters, other than as a colleague, while Chris is your stoic He-man type, and Leon has, of yet starred in only one game (and in Resi 4 he's distanced from events of the previous games by the story being set 6 years on).

Claire is linked to Chris as a sister, and Leon both with a closeness that hints on love interest, and by their time in the hell of Racoon City. Shes the glue that holds the series together - shes Monica in Friends.

And all that Resi C:V advertising featuring Miss Redfield,all the promo's we've seen (to this day she remains the only Resi character to have one of the series game boxes all to herself - Resi C:V X) has cemented her as key in the series mythology. there's also the fact that C:V is only the 3rd true Resi game ... Zero was pretty much a money-spinner, giving us a pointless un-needed backstory, and Nemesis was a mere side-story.

Claire And Chris remain the only two central Resi protagonists to have starred in two of the series three major narrative-furthering outings. And when looked back on in many years time, the ultimate legacy of Resi C:V will be the franchise most likely being thought of as "Life with the Redfields". :)

I agree that Resi 2 hasn't aged well. Which was why I was gutted it wasn't receiving the REmake treatment for GC.

Having said that I still think the locations and characters were much better than any other game in the series. Everything just clicked.

A constantly mutating boss character with an intriguing and sympathetic back story? Check.

Alternative viewpoints which were actually worth playing through for different outcomes? Check.

An evil necrophiliac mayor who gets split vertically? Check.

It was short, sweet and the most plot heavy of the series.

Whilst CV, the real Resident Evil 3, was convoluted. The first half was great but:

The 3D environments didn't look as good as the renders.

The backtracking bugged me more on this game than the others.

The long armed monsters looked rubbish and were overused.

General monster design was poor - take Steve's transformation as an example.

The Alfred character was great, but a bit more "out there" than previous games. It all felt cartoony to me, like a fan fiction rather than true sequel.

And then they go to Antartica. At which point the games difficulty gets quite frustrating, the plot ridiculous and environments boring. Aside from the Voldo-esque boss, and model of the original mansion the latter half of the game is pretty rubbish. Chris needn't have been involved at all... it was just an excuse for more backtracking. And giving Alexia the magical ability to create fire was rather silly. Weskers return was noneventful.

The game just pissed me off towards the end.

Resident Evil 2 all the way.

Like I said, its very hard to seperate them.

Resi 2 is basically the progenitor of the series backstory... yes, Resi 1 may have been the original, but it was the sequel which first delved into the origins of the T Virus, or the ideology of the underlying Umbrella evil.

It also introduced less one dimensional characters, and managed to perfectly pitch the balance between action and adventure; plot and puzzles. Moreover, it fleshed-out (excuse the pun) the overall scope, from the escape-the mansion premise of its predecessor, into the narrative basis for an ongoing franchise...

Of all the Resi titles to date, Resi 2 remains the most ahead of its time, at the time of release.

That gives it incredible pedigree, with or without the rose-tinted's.

Your comments on C:V are understandable, but some are also subjectve... I personally couldn't believe I was only half way through the game when I took off in the plane, and had to fight the Tyrant. Indeed, the only thing which made me realise I was, was that I hadn't yet played as Chris.

For me, having the Antarctica base was a godsend, as it meant I didn't have to finish playing a game I was enjoying incredibly.

The return of Chris itself was mostly put in to appease fans. I remember raising more than just a sly grin when he first appeared on screen. And his subsequent adventure allowed for some Resi2-style second scenario stuff going on, with the altered, battered base also offering fresh new routes and skewed puzzle perspectives.

In fact, it made much more sense than Resi 2's scenario system, where you never really which storyline was canon - Leon's first scenario, and Claire's second? or vice versa?

Chris' introduction was also the vehicle for the return of Wesker (with their hero vs villain macho rivalry), which, while you may say was a non-event, still remains one of the greatest unsolved mysteries of the series... the type of mystery which draws people into a series, piquing their interest and hooking them into buying future editions of the franchise. It will be the one central narrative thread that retains its strength well into Resi 4, long after the Ashfords and Spencers of the series backstory have been bypassed.

It also allowed for the Wesker report to clear up a lot of loose ends with the overall plot - a length which few few videogame companies go to in order to please fans, providing tasters and lending depth from a purely ansillery means.

Plus, the GIANT spider under the ice. I'm scared of Spiders. The ones in previous Resi's had been bad enough... but to see that one, crawling about, wondering if it was going to break through, and KNOWING it was there for a reason... that at some point, something was BOUND to trigger its breaking through the ice... that sh1t me up big time :P

Also, the Bandersnatch watching you through the window, then bursting in... from unsettlingly creepy, it sttles down and you think it was just that - a head-fukk... and then the huge crash and glass spewing everwhere. I jumped across the room!

C:V had better cutscenes, bigger scope, larger gameworld and was generally more clever about warping multiple perspectives around varying locales. Alfred Ahsford was also wonderfully manic, and Alexia suitably, conversely, maglomaniacal.

But yes, very hard to seperate the two. C:V stands up better nowdays, though, of that I think there's little doubt.

Still, I do enjoy talkin about these things with you lot :P

Also, the Bandersnatch watching you through the window, then bursting in... from unsettlingly creepy, it sttles down and you think it was just that - a head-fukk... and then the huge crash and glass spewing everwhere. I jumped across the room!

sorry about that. :)

Resident Evil 4 looks to have leaped even further into the realms of fantasy horror and whilst I look forward to it and will obviously purchase it, I can't help but feel the absence of another traditional installment in the classic Resident series.

I want to walk around another mansion-esque building, solve simple puzzles and kill zombies. Fingers crossed...

my thoughts exactly.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the 'Kitts's cam' footage from NGC gives a good demo of how the game plays

Thankfully, at one point it says 'the door won't open, it's locked - there is some kind of symbol'

This suggests that it will still share some of the other games adventure aspects - it was these qualities rather than the combat that I most enjoyed - hence I don't understand why people used to harp on about the controls

I'm looking forward to number enormously.

If only because it appears to be one of the best looking games ever.

Kudos to Capcom for being about the only 3rd person dev.co who seem keen to push the GC as much as possible.

Actually, considering the output of most Nintendo stuff is pretty cutesy (not a bad thing, by the way, but not something to test your machine's power really), this is probably not hard.

Hmm.

I forgot the Metroid Prime games.

Okay, so two games developers then.

Not that hot either way really.

Anyway, any game which has chainsaws and blood in is obviously a very good thing indeed.

That plot seems about spot on. :)

Makes far more sense than the original premise, with Leon going back to the original Mansion (which we all know was blown up in RE1, so it would have had to be ANOTHER recreation, like C:V did in part)...

It also would go a long way to explaining who Wesker is working for, and retaining the Umbrella narrative thread...

I'd be a little disapointed in Leon having selective amnesia, though. Not only because its hackneyed in storytelling terms, if not quite done-to-death (excuse the pun), but because it removes a large part of his character if he isn't with all of his memories from Racoon - the episode in the RE franchise which defined him as a pivotal player. Hopefully by the end of the game he will be himself again.

Also, a big factor in the way the plot ties together will be how the timing of his government re-training is explained. Claiming him to have been thrown immediately into the program post-racoon invalidates the original fiction Resi novels, which were comissioned by Capcom themselves and are supposedly canon to the series.

In those, The STARS are outlawed and go underground to fight the Umbrella menace, with Leon being a part of their resistance. The books don't go past the plot of Resi C:V, though, so there's plenty of margin between that plotline and the development of Leon which culminates in Resi 4.

Who knows, we could even see a new mini-series detailing the developments in the plot (fate of Claire and Chris, etc) during the intermittent 6 years :D

I am going to make the completely unfounded proclamation that anyone who considers CV the best of the franchise wasn't there at the beginning and isn't a tr00 fan.

Resident Evil 2 is quite clearly the pinnacle of the series.

A bold assumption and one that is quite wrong, IMO. After extensive play of all the RE proper games (not the gun survivor shite) I would say CV is the best. I did think 2 was the best, but CV has the stronger story and lengthier play, and some great set pieces (who's jaw didn't drop when Steve comes through the window and the camera whips round matrix style? I know mine did. Quit amazing at the time).

And, yes, I played RE when it came out completing it on my ex-girlfriend's playstation over a weekend.

ERROR!

:P

I always saw the RE story just strong enough to provide an excuse to shoot up zombies and other mutated creatures.

The whole premise of the t-virus makes no sense. From my understanding, it was meant to be a biological weapon to be used in military applications correct?

The point of a biological weapon is to effectively kills its target, thereby the invading force does not need a large amount of recources to engage combat.

The t-virus kills and then brings its host back to life, therefore defeating the benefit of the virus to be used as a biological weapon.

I always saw the RE story just strong enough to provide an excuse to shoot up zombies and other mutated creatures.

The whole premise of the t-virus makes no sense. From my understanding, it was meant to be a biological weapon to be used in military applications correct?

The point of a biological weapon is to effectively kills its target, thereby the invading force does not need a large amount of recources to engage combat.

The t-virus kills and then brings its host back to life, therefore defeating the benefit of the virus to be used as a biological weapon.

The T-Virus was created as a mutagen, not a weapon. It causing living tissue to alter and mutate, creating a different Bio Organic Weapon (BOW) depending on the tissue its applied to...

Humans make zombies, for the most part (when infected with a small dose, like the inhabitants of Racoon), dogs make those hellhound things... spiders turn giant.. Hunters and Lickers are individual mutations of a type of animal...Sharks turn nastier, bigger and even more bloodthirsty...a differerent strand of the virus applied to a human created the Nemesis, the Tyrant is a BOW specially engineered from various body parts, brought to demonic life by the respective G and T viruses..

The virus isn't intended to be used like Anthrax... its not a weaponised virus... its meant to be used in a lab to create controllable mutant soldiers that can be used for military purposes.

Hmm, I always thought that the bio-weapons were the Tyrants. Umbrella wanted to sell armies of Tyrants to the government for use in warfare. However, to get to this point, they carried out a great deal of testing on animals, plants, and even people. The premise of the original RE, as I understood it, was simply that something went wrong, and since the T-Virus was highly contagious, once it started spreading, there was no stopping it.

You can tell I'm a total Res fanboy :P

The virus isn't intended to be used like Anthrax... its not a weaponised virus... its meant to be used in a lab to create controllable mutant soldiers that can be used for military purposes.

That still doesn't make much sense to me.

Most of the BOW's show no or very little cognitive abilities and I suspect would be unable to the difference between friend or foe.

Same goes for the Tyrant, Nemesis and Mr. X.

I don't see how an army of t-virus zombies would be able to follow orders and not attack their fellow human troops.

Like I said, the RE plot is just an excuse to shoot up zombies galore. :P

Most of the BOW's show no or very little cognitive abilities and I suspect would be unable to the difference between friend or foe.

I don't see how an army of t-virus zombies would be able to follow orders and not attack their fellow human troops.

There's no doubt that the later games made a right mess of the storyline, but the idea that the T-Virus engineered Tyrants were the endgame made sense. I don't think it was ever the intention to use T-virus infected zombies or animals as weapons - they were just either test subjects or accidents.

As explained in the files you find throughout the various games, the BOW's you come across in the various Resi's are still very much work in progress.

The zombies especially, are more a by-product of the virus infecting a human. Their certainly not intended to be used as BOW's in military conflict.

The Tyrant is obviously intelligent and controllable, as evidenced in its only hunting of Leon and Claire throughout Resi 2.

The Nemesis too, is intelligent, designed to only hunt the S.T.A.R.S members.

Hunters could be very effective when dropped inside an enemye base,and also as perimeter guards... the sensors which detect you in Resi C:V then send Hunters after you, which could easily be applied to a base perimeter.

Some of the other BOW's, such as the Licker, were either failed experiments, unexpected mutations, or got out of the lab too early into development. The hellhounds too were never intended products of the virus, nor were the spiders - they just got infected when the virus got out.

I've never really understood why zombie bites don't infect your characters with the T-virus... maybe it becomes dormant and non-communicable after a short amount of time?

I haven't played the PS1 original (although I have seen the hilarious opening live-action cutscene). REmake was superb, in my opinion. The final section cranks up the tension to unbearable levels.

Resi 2 I played through for the first time recently, and found it excellent.

Resi 3 was pretty limp, I thought - the central mechanic (a single massive boss following you for the whole game) just didn't work for me. I also found the level design rather confusing and messy (or maybe I'm just stupid...)

CV I got on Dreamcast when it came out. I enjoyed it at the time, but the real-time environments have aged horrendously.

Resi Zero was good enough, but I hated that damn centipede boss. Not scary, just annoying.

The Tyrant is obviously intelligent and controllable, as evidenced in its only hunting of Leon and Claire throughout Resi 2.

Are you referring to Mr. X?

I'm not too sure he was a Tyrant.

Good point with Nemesis, I suppose I could see some limited use for a being like Nemesis or Mr. X.

I'm not sold on your suggested use for the hunters tho. :P

Are you referring to Mr. X?

I'm not too sure he was a Tyrant.

Good point with Nemesis, I suppose I could see some limited use for a being like Nemesis or Mr. X.

I'm not sold on your suggested use for the hunters tho. :P

I'm pretty sure Mr X was in fact a completed Tyrant.