IGNORED

Where did the plans for Dungeon Keeper 3 go?

Rayn

One of the most original and coolest strategy concepts I ever played on the PC was the Dungeon Keeper games. Surely most forumites here must have played one of the two games released. It was very satisfying to be in control of creatures who obeyed your commands (if they didn't you could always slap them or throw them in a of lava). Except for the first Syndicate game I reckon Dungeon Keeper 1&2 was Bullfrog at their best.

One thing I do remember from DK2 is the teaser trailer of Dungeon Keeper 3 (available from the main menu) hinting a game where you get to go up on the surface (maybe to torment the humans?). Dungeon Keeper 2 was (as far as I know) the last game Bullfrog developed before they were bought by EA and for as long as 2 years after the games release you could witness the reserved space for DK3 info on Bullfrogs website.

So then, are we glad that Bullfrog (or EA) put the franchise to sleep as the EA run Bullfrog wouldn't be able to develop a game as strong as the first outings or do you reckon the franchise to be strong enough to make a good enough game, even if should be developed by EA?

I used to love these games, I played through DK1 on a P100 which would slow to a crawl everytime someone cast the wind spell, but I still persevered to the end. I developed some kind of compulsive disorder as well where'd I try and train my imps up to level 9 where they turned into scarily fast obese super imps...

I wouldn't mind if EA had a crack at a new one, if they screw it up it doesn't spoil the first two, and one thing they can do is make games to formula so even if it's just more of the same with updated graphics (with an X-box version...) I'd still be happy.

As far as I know, DK2 was developed after Peter Molyneux left along with Populous III, Theme Park World and Theme Park Inc. It's a shame that DK3 never saw the light of day, as they did a good job with the second one. They pretty much fixed everything that was wrong with the first and overall produced a much better game.

My wife was addicted to Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2, and would love a sequel. I wonder if Evil Genius from Elixir will be similar?

Even more, though, she would like a sequel to Theme Hospital. Startopia was kinda similar but not as good.

As far as I know, DK2 was developed after Peter Molyneux left along with Populous III, Theme Park World and Theme Park Inc. It's a shame that DK3 never saw the light of day, as they did a good job with the second one. They pretty much fixed everything that was wrong with the first and overall produced a much better game.

That is correct. DK2 was the first game Bullfrog did after Peter Molyneux left the company. I think they did a great job with that particular game but the company lost their magic after their founder strolled off....

I developed some kind of compulsive disorder as well where'd I try and train my imps up to level 9 where they turned into scarily fast obese super imps...

:ph34r:

Yeah, i remember doing that too!! I loved DK especially on the maps with gems they were best. Tonnes of gold, so much so that you couldn't build enoguh treasure rooms to store it all in heh!

Another nice little touch, that I've never forgotten, was the map that turned from a pristine holy lanndscape into a despoiled mess as you progressed through the game!

I'd love to see a third game even if it was a little bit bland compared to the first two.

Didn't the last of the old Bullfrog who hadn't already left with Molyneux go off to start Mucky Foot? I'm not sure there are any of them at all still with EA. I think "Bullfrog" is just a trademark and ip these days.

Didn't the last of the old Bullfrog who hadn't already left with Molyneux go off to start Mucky Foot? I'm not sure there are any of them at all still with EA. I think "Bullfrog" is just a trademark and ip these days.

Yeh, all the people that made Bullfrog what it was either left with Molyneux or went on to found their own start ups.

Bullfrog did quake 3 on the ps2 as well!

Id love to see a 3rd game, the first one i love the most for its charm and the fact you could barricade yourself in without fear of attack and just create channels of booby traps to kill enemies.

Possible spiritual successor? It's not quite the same but there are traps, lairs, and you play the bad guy out to rule the world...

http://www.howevilareyou.com

Recent IGN coverage

http://pc.ign.com/articles/502/502789p1.html

I'm rather looking forward to this one; it's been a while since anything in the mold of DK came out which wasn't a "Sim" or "Tycoon" title. :P

Evil Genius does look to be in the same vein.

True story: at uni we had an afternoon with Molyneux about general games industry stuff and when talking about design documents he said he could show us the original dungeon keeper doc except when he went to open it word refused to recognise it being such an old version :P

I would add that the first DK was also the work of the Carter Bros (now doing Fable as Big Blue Box) as well as Molyneux, and DK2 was led by Sean Cooper of Syndicate fame. One of PM's greatest talents is to surround himself with talented people, and so -- without seeking to detract from those talents -- I think it's a shame that the public perception was to interpret the figurehead's departure as the end of Bullfrog, when there were so many creative and experienced people still working there.

Not that I include myself in that category, but I was working on the earliest DK3 prototype up until I left Bullfrog. It did get a little further than a trailer. I even heard a story that Ernest Adams, freshly relocated from his Madden tenure, was warming my seat for a while. Make of that what you will, in answer to the original question... But I saw many games canned in my time, so I can't claim any great surprise.

That was a real shame, i was very much looking forward to it after i finished DK2 and saw the end movie. DK unleashed from its underground setting would have been superb, imagine being able to make magic forests full of giant spiders, like in The Hobbit, or something. i hope someone picks up the idea where they left it off at some point.