developers you hate

Guardian

mine is definitely bioware.  why do people like kotor so damned much?  ...

I agree that game is just an overrated restrictive mess, wouldnt have even shown up on the radar without the star wars licence. And for fuck sake what badly designed environments, i mean how many near vertical just short enough to impede your path and small piles of pebbles does a jedi get blocked by a day? First time I played it I expected to be able to run off in to the distance but nope a few pebbles blocked your path so your just surrounded by faux freedom and it just ruins the experience and makes it a very bland environment. And thats before we get in to how bad the actual game elements are.

Other one I hate is Sega, MOST OVERRATED COMPANY EVER AMOUNG SO-CALLED HARDCORE GAMERS! Face facts Sonic Adventure is a steaming pile of amateur crap, seeing that you'd think not one of the team saw that a good 3D platformer had actually come out and solved most of their problems and jesus christ the bugs. That tales space level has so many bugs I played it for 2 hours solid over and over and couldnt get past it because it kept bugging out and killing me (if I remember rightly its when you hover over the gaps in the walkways, it randomly sends you flying straight down at high speed for no reason).

+Crazy taxi: Crazy controls, crap music, crap popup, crap bugs that get you stuck in walls and stuff OH I FORGOT ITS KKK-RAYZEEEE!!!!! I know I'll make a solitaire clone that crashes and doesnt register your moves and call it CRAZY SOLITAIRE, offspring can do the soundtrack.

+Samba de Amigo: OH LOOK ITS BEATMANIA AGAIN! wow this games contribution managed to add absolutely nothing to the genre. Why is it so overrated? Prolly cos its made by sonic team or some crap. The should have just had a big model of sonic in the background waving his cock about that would have been basically the same.

+Rez: oh look its like microsoft office if it were a game, point click, point click, yawn, point click yawn. Ankle deep gameplay IF THAT hidden behind nice art direction.

+cosmic smash: HAHA EXACTLY THE SAME its just some breakout clone, before you scream "OMG ITS IN 3D" light corridor did this over 10 years ago now and it was much more interesting and playable. Pretentious and shit gameplay I mean its not even accurate you only have to press the button with the ball within like half the screen.

+Propeller Arena: Jesus don't get me started on this crap, EVEN WORSE THAN CRAZY TAXI! Watered down plane controls which fly like a taxi which can point up and down make fighting a dull turn turn turn shoot fest, the DC's 100% COMPLETELY USELESS ANALOGUE STICK makes doing tricks near impossible cos of the way it registers your inputs. Fucking stupid badly conceived characters, fucking awful music, dull powerups, dull environments, NO WONDER IT WAS CANNED! The only fun you could ever get out of this game is recreating 9/11 YES it really is that bad, so they probably canned it for being a crap game not for that reason. I laugh in the face of the fools who spent all that money on the beta versions haha you fucking idiots. Of course no one will agree because its the holy grail of DC games.

+Virtual on OT: Without the twin sticks is a beautiful example of hot NOT to make a control scheme.

+Shenmue: Load up the first one (english dub or it wont be funny) go to the gatchapon machine, listen to him say "MABE A SHUD GIT ANUTHA" congratulations you've seen everything this game has to offer. The rest of the game is made up of I think I worked out 2 activities, either going round talking to everyone till you find someone your supposed to talk to, or go talk to someone you've specifically been told to speak to. THATS ALL THAT HAPPENS. 2 is even more dull.

+Jet Set Radio: The closest sega came to a good game on the dc, of course its control system is utter pain, WHY THE FUCK DOES THE SAME BUTTON DO 2 THINGS when you had the whole pad to play with.

Those are what comes to mind at the minute, must have repressed the rest.

Also Hideo Kojima is horribly overrated at times, everything past psycho mantis in mgs is unfunny, un fun, pretentious crap. Yes hilarious going up stairs and guns increasing by 1 with every landing how fucking hilarious and boring. Bosses who are stupidly easy even on the hardest difficulty the only danger is you'll fall asleep because they have stupidly long amounts of energy but it just becomes a chore seen as they're so easy theres no challenge. And he doesn't deserve half the press he gets, just seems like a group of people are looking for some idol to hang on to.

A pre-pubescent tantrum of hate-filled bile centred around Sega (plus a bit on Knights of the Old Republic)

You appear to have issues :)

Have you considered going to see a psychologist? All that rage over a company that you don't like? It can't be healthy...

[Well, that and the fact that anyone can manage to hate all of the games listed below (especially for such great reasons as 'Without the twin sticks is a beautiful example of hot NOT to make a control scheme'. I mean, shock horror! Half-Life must also be rubbish, because - OMGOMG - if you try to play it without a mouse it becomes ar too difficult to use! Not to mention all those racing games that are only half as good without a steering wheel, or those light-gun games that are rubbish sans light-gun...) there has to be something wrong with your head :o]

You appear to have issues :)

Have you considered going to see a psychologist? All that rage over a company that you don't like? It can't be healthy...

[Well, that and the fact that anyone can manage to hate all of the games listed below (especially for such great reasons as 'Without the twin sticks is a beautiful example of hot NOT to make a control scheme'. I mean, shock horror! Half-Life must also be rubbish, because - OMGOMG - if you try to play it without a mouse it becomes ar too difficult to use! Not to mention all those racing games that are only half as good without a steering wheel, or those light-gun games that are rubbish sans light-gun...) there has to be something wrong with your head :o]

I considered replying to df0notfound's post but...well, it was far more entertaining than it should've been.

For all the wrong reasons, you understand. Hopelessly pitiful post, so it was.

:) DF0, are you on here just to post juvenile rants about games that are well respected, in a vain attempt to appear contraversial ?

Here`s an idea try a balanced argument , you know with valid points not like

+Rez: oh look its like microsoft office if it were a game, point click, point click, yawn, point click yawn. Ankle deep gameplay IF THAT hidden behind nice art direction.

which is at best a playground taunt much like that one in the Dreamcast thread....

You appear to have issues :o

The point about that control scheme is that on a console games should be playable with the real controller and there was no reason why voot couldnt have been decently playable if they had used some common sense when creating it. Halflife wouldnt really suffer if you played it using a pad for example if you set it up right, just look at say goldeneye. Halflife doesn't use any more buttons than that does.

And please dont get all uppity because someone has a different opinion to you, OMGOSH SHOCK HORROR YOUR OPINON ISN'T FACT, deal with it. I mean at least I didn't start saying "I'd like to see you make a better game" which is really pathetic and childish. You don't have to be able to personally better something to say why you dislike it, I mean say you were going round the tate modern and you didn't like an exhibit by this logic your not allowed to do that unless you could make a better one which is just bullshit. So anyone who said that can run out this instant and make a better movie than any they have criticised in the past and after that they can go and make better albums than any they have criticised in the past.

Is it my fault I'm the only one who can see these games for what they really are? The hilarious thing is that you can't really just say I'm wrong because its an opinion and I'm sure lots of people would agree with me its just they might not like sitting round on forums all day arguing about it :)

I'm sure lots of people would agree with me its just they might not like sitting round on forums all day arguing about it :)

Why dont you fuck off with them then.......you obviously don`t really want an even and logical discussion on the merits and failures of Sega`s back catalogue.

You're entitled to an opinion. We are entitled to question your opinion. It isn't our fault that through your apparent inability to articulate yourself without cursing every 5 words combined with the most laughable superiority complex yet seen on these forums you've sparked an overwhelming majority that think your opinion sucks monkey balls.

Perhaps if you'd been a shade more balanced and civilised in your post, you might not have come under so much scrutiny.

The point about that control scheme is that on a console games should be playable with the real controller and there was no reason why voot couldnt have been decently playable if they had used some common sense when creating it. Halflife wouldnt really suffer if you played it using a pad for example if you set it up right, just look at say goldeneye. Halflife doesn't use any more buttons than that does.

And please dont get all uppity because someone has a different opinion to you, OMGOSH SHOCK HORROR YOUR OPINON ISN'T FACT, deal with it. I mean at least I didn't start saying "I'd like to see you make a better game" which is really pathetic and childish. You don't have to be able to personally better something to say why you dislike it, I mean say you were going round the tate modern and you didn't like an exhibit by this logic your not allowed to do that unless you could make a better one which is just bullshit. So anyone who said that can run out this instant and make a better movie than any they have criticised in the past and after that they can go and make better albums than any they have criticised in the past.

Is it my fault I'm the only one who can see these games for what they really are? The hilarious thing is that you can't really just say I'm wrong because its an opinion and I'm sure lots of people would agree with me its just they might not like sitting round on forums all day arguing about it :o

:)

Er, at what point did I say "I'd like to see you make a better game"? Well, brushing that matter aside entirely...

Ehh, I realise opinion isn't fact, but the way you put it forward ("I'm the only one who can see these games for what they really are") suggests that you somehow know better than the rest of us, rather than simply stating that you have a different opinion to others (I for example do dislike a fair few things that most people enjoy intensely - just ask Preacher or Jack, I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you how Dead Inside I am - but I would never suggest that my opinion is more correct than anyone elses. I just have odd tastes)

The main problem I did have with your post was the somewhat purile way of arguing your points. There's nothing more erksome on a discussion forum than someone who types badly-though-out and badly argued opinions, and unfortunately I have to say that that's the way you have presented (and continue to present) yourself with your posts.

In summary then; if you want to be taken seriously and not get made fun of, take the time to think out your arguments. Please.

The point about that control scheme is that on a console games should be playable with the real controller and there was no reason why voot couldnt have been decently playable if they had used some common sense when creating it.

Fatal Flaw No. 1:

When VO:OT was made, pads were not a concern. This is a showpiece arcade title we're talking about. The cab makes the game, ergo the game is going to be built around that cabs' dedicated controller, not the pad of the console that it will be eventually ported to.

Halflife wouldnt really suffer if you played it using a pad for example if you set it up right, just look at say goldeneye. Halflife doesn't use any more buttons than that does.

Fatal Flaw No. 2:

Half Life did suffer greatly when played on a pad, and that's not for want of buttons. Again, it's a question of the game being built around an entirely different set of rules, the rules being defined by the host format's control setup.

Mini Flaw No 1:

Half Life's control scheme had a fair few more functions than GE.

Ah, I know it may be futile but a few nudges in the right direction can only help, right? Who knows, in a few years time he may come back a changed man!

(Remember Haribokart? :))

(What do you mean, 'exactly'? :o)

In this instance, I think it's a case of 'don't hate the player, hate the game.'

Or sweaty balls topic, if you really want to hit the nail on the head.

SO, WHO DO YOU HATE, EH?

If that isn't begging for fucking bile and trouble.

The developer that I dislike most in all the world is Nintendo.

It's weird. Nintendo are among the few really professional developers out there in terms of product and product quality. Most of the other hatees that people have mentioned on here are blatantly just hack developers, or developers that used to be great but have metamorphosed into hack developers.

Nintendo are not hacks. They do their job very well, make games to a standard that everyone should aim for quality and game-mechanics wise, and so on.

And I hate them.

At least with EA and all the rest of the publishers, they are generally straight up about their franchising intentions. But Nintendo play the high card, waffling on about the importance gameplay and so on and essentially wanking off every journalist around the place. While they in fact do exactly the same thing as every other publisher, which is to milk the same sets of properties again and again, with little or no conceptual movement.

I also hate the aura of double standards that surrounds them, which is not necessarily their fault, but is something that the play up to frequently. Nintendo regularly engage in some of the worst excesses of profiteering business, and have done since forever. But if you point this out to the hardened core, it is often apologised or downplayed away at the rate of knots.

They're like this big block sitting on top of the ambitions of game developers that simply says that the best thing you can ever do is to make quality conservative kids games that never challenge anyone intellectually. They represent the toy companu future of the industry more completely than any other company.

And I hate them for it.

At least with EA and all the rest of the publishers, they are generally straight up about their franchising intentions. But Nintendo play the high card, waffling on about the importance gameplay and so on and essentially wanking off every journalist around the place. While they in fact do exactly the same thing as every other publisher, which is to milk the same sets of properties again and again, with little or no conceptual movement.

I also hate the aura of double standards that surrounds them, which is not necessarily their fault, but is something that the play up to frequently. Nintendo regularly engage in some of the worst excesses of profiteering business, and have done since forever. But if you point this out to the hardened core, it is often apologised or downplayed away at the rate of knots.

They're like this big block sitting on top of the ambitions of game developers that simply says that the best thing you can ever do is to make quality conservative kids games that never challenge anyone intellectually. They represent the toy companu future of the industry more completely than any other company.

And I hate them for it.

If you'd care to look at most interviews with senior Nintendo execs, they are actually the most honest of the industry's big players. They have always said they're in it for the bottom line, and always approach their projects as just that; Cash-cows. This doesn't excuse their behaviour, but you have to admire them for their sheer honesty. Yes, their PR goons spew all sorts of shite, but would you expect anything but?

As for being a 'big block on the back of developers': What the fuck?!? Nintendo can't dictate developers anymore, and to say otherwise is ludicrous, seeing as the power to control the market doesn't lie in Nintendo's hands anymore. As you said yourself, Nintendo usually produce 'quality' products, so there's no problem in that. 'Kiddie'? Well, blow me down, that's put me right off Nintendo, forever! After all, no-one's catering for the adult market, are they?

Lastly, your point over the cerberal quality of Nintendo software is somewhat redundant given that Nintendo themselves view their produce as entertainment, thus side-stepping the issue entirely. Perhaps you could suggest some developers who do produce 'intellectual' output, because I'm genuinely intrigued why you take Nintendo to task on this issue. I would argue that Nintendo are still in the top tier of developers at this moment in time however, but that's an entirely subjective viewpoint...

If you'd care to look at most interviews with senior Nintendo execs, they are actually the most honest of the industry's big players. They have always said they're in it for the bottom line, and always approach their projects as just that; Cash-cows. This doesn't excuse their behaviour, but you have to admire them for their sheer honesty. Yes, their PR goons spew all sorts of shite, but would you expect anything but?

Well all hate is irrational :P

I don't for an instant suggest that they are liars. They never claim that their gameplay will fundamentally change your life (unlike Molyneux) or anything like that. They do, on the other hand, routinely milk their hardware advantage, and engage in pathetic 'buy all our machines' loyalty schemes and try and dress it up in, as you say, PR bollox.

As for being a 'big block on the back of developers': What the fuck?!?

There are a lot of people working in the games industry (and I mean a LOT) who act from the presumption that Nintendo is the perfect developer, and they should hope to strive for that. The company has this way of being seen as the ultimate inescapable apex of everything, and so you get far too many developers who basically try to imitate them in every way, and refuse to acknowledge that they could do their own thing instead.

Lastly, your point over the cerberal quality of Nintendo software is somewhat redundant given that Nintendo themselves view their produce as entertainment, thus side-stepping the issue entirely. Perhaps you could suggest some developers who do produce 'intellectual' output, because I'm genuinely intrigued why you take Nintendo to task on this issue. I would argue that Nintendo are still in the top tier of developers at this moment in time however, but that's an entirely subjective viewpoint...

As would I.

I said it very clearly: they are brilliant at what they do, and it is by virtue of their total success in having done what they did that I view them as a poison on the up-and-coming generation. Much like many of the early 80s Britsofty developers. When you are raised in the industry to believe that imitation is creativity, you are doomed to a life of failure.

In my view, Nintendo is the prime reason that the industry is so conservative.

For me, my hatred for EA grew even more when I saw the E3 Xbox Live "shock" announcement. They wheel on so-called sports heroes and Mohammed Ali, as if they're some kind of ghastly museum of achievement. EA Boss Bloke comes on with his horrific white chinos and punchable face, exchanging some banal excuses for not picking up Xbox Live sooner. Surely it would of been better to have Mohammed Ali shakily hold up the huge fucking cheque which Microsoft slung EA's way, and chino bloke to say "Yes, we did it for the moolah."

EA is the McDonalds of videogaming. You want fries with that?