developers you hate

Guardian

Wrong.

No, yuor rong!!111

(etc. ;))

You know you've been on a forum too long when people stop arguing their opinions: not because they lack the ability to write them, but simply because they can rely on everyone else already knowing the reasons for liking/disliking any game that's been out more than a month :)

I'm sory I have to say this, but I admit that I agree with Neuromancer: the developer I dislike the most is Nintendo.

However, it's not for the reasons Neuromancer gave; but rather for the fact that they have prostituted themselves in making the new iteration of the Zelda series with a photo-realistic look. I cannot believe that they lowered themselves so much to the level of the pathetic complaints of deluded fanboys who wanted nothing other than to destroy the beauty of a game like The Wind Waker.

Nintendo: I loathe you. All of you can just drop dead for all I care

(Well, not really. If the final product is a continuation of the work displayed at E3, all this means is that I will only refuse to buy the game.... But I would never admit to that in a thread such as this.)

mine is definitely bioware.  why do people like kotor so damned much?  i'm tired of the contrived long story -> back to game -> long story -> back to game mode-switching surrounding all of their characterization, especially party members.  i hate the ridiculous missions you go on that have nothing to do with your galaxy-saving main quest, like finding some bitch's husband-droid or resolving some romeo&juliet rip-off.  i hate watching myself jedi train instead of doing it.  in fact, i hate watching everything in the game instead of doing it.  i hate the way they make "rpg"s where nothing you do really makes a difference and then market them as being games where everything you do really makes a difference.  nothing you do in kotor matters at all to change anything until that one single predictable star-wars-fanboy-catering cliched little choice.  i almost like the d&d system, but i think i hate it.  i mean, their use of it.  i definitely dislike its simplification in kotor.  i'm especially sick of how every publication and gamer everywhere seems to love this crappy contrived demented insulting contrived crap.

;)

Hmmmm. Interesting words. Perhaps you are Edge magazine's Mr Angry?

but rather for the fact that they have prostituted themselves in making the new iteration of the Zelda series with a photo-realistic look. I cannot believe that they lowered themselves so much to the level of the pathetic complaints of deluded fanboys who wanted nothing other than to destroy the beauty of a game like The Wind Waker.

That's pathetic.

mine is definitely bioware. why do people like kotor so damned much? i'm tired of the contrived long story -> back to game -> long story -> back to game mode-switching surrounding all of their characterization, especially party members. i hate the ridiculous missions you go on that have nothing to do with your galaxy-saving main quest, like finding some bitch's husband-droid or resolving some romeo&juliet rip-off. i hate watching myself jedi train instead of doing it. in fact, i hate watching everything in the game instead of doing it. i hate the way they make "rpg"s where nothing you do really makes a difference and then market them as being games where everything you do really makes a difference. nothing you do in kotor matters at all to change anything until that one single predictable star-wars-fanboy-catering cliched little choice. i almost like the d&d system, but i think i hate it. i mean, their use of it. i definitely dislike its simplification in kotor. i'm especially sick of how every publication and gamer everywhere seems to love this crappy contrived demented insulting contrived crap.

the only thing i liked about kotor was that it was the first time i ever felt like the good guys aren't necessarily the good guys and that both sides are just different ways of life. i also decided around this time that nietzsche is the dark lord of the sith. i don't think bioware can take credit for my revelation.

nwn sucks almost as much as kotor, except that the d&d system is nicely full-blown and it's awesome to develop as a monk. but that's not bioware i'm liking--that's d&d!

does anyone else have a serious problem with bioware's consistent flavor of game design?

looks like you just don't like RPG's, not Bioware in particular.

I'm sory I have to say this, but I admit that I agree with Neuromancer: the developer I dislike the most is Nintendo.

However, it's not for the reasons Neuromancer gave; but rather for the fact that they have prostituted themselves in making the new iteration of the Zelda series with a photo-realistic look. I cannot believe that they lowered themselves so much to the level of the pathetic complaints of deluded fanboys who wanted nothing other than to destroy the beauty of a game like The Wind Waker.

Nintendo: I loathe you. All of you can just drop dead for all I care

may I recommend your seeing a psychiatrist? :)

I don't buy rubbish games therefore I have no need to get annoyed at the developer that produced it. See?

So you've never - in your entire life - purchased a game that wasn't very good?

I consider my purchases carefully. I know which genres I like, I know which devcos have a good rep, and I know which magazine reviews I can trust. Getting to this point, though, has taken some trial and error (and cash). It is not always possible to know intuitively which games are worth purchasing, and you learn from your mistakes. Are you saying you've never made any?

There are still a great many publishers churning out substandard shit on a regular basis, and bribing magazines to give glowing reviews. It is perfectly acceptable to hate these people, even if you no longer fall for their bullshit.

So you've never - in your entire life - purchased a game that wasn't very good?

I consider my purchases carefully. I know which genres I like, I know which devcos have a good rep, and I know which magazine reviews I can trust. Getting to this point, though, has taken some trial and error (and cash). It is not always possible to know intuitively which games are worth purchasing, and you learn from your mistakes. Are you saying you've never made any?

There are still a great many publishers churning out substandard shit on a regular basis, and bribing magazines to give glowing reviews. It is perfectly acceptable to hate these people, even if you no longer fall for their bullshit.

Who cares? the bottom line is that he says that he doesn't HATE the DEVELOPERS for it.

Who cares? the bottom line is that he says that he doesn't HATE the DEVELOPERS for it.

Yeah, I appreciate that. I nearly put a line in my post saying that the thread ought to be "Publishers you hate" rather than "Developers...", but cut it short due to having to do some proper work.

As regards the "Who cares?" bit, we all should - or poor quality, over-hyped garbage will become the norm, and decent games will be few and far between.

I don't HATE Bioware, but I was VERY VERY disappointed with Knights of the Old Republic.

I put it down after a particularly stupid bit where I was given a task to find some 'Elixir' and some bad guy immediately approached me and offered me more money for it.

But that was after I suffered the ugly cheesy and tedious trotting around, and crappy combat system.

Krap of the Highest Order :)

Okay, lets think this through.

I have never bought a rubbish, although I have owned a few in my time.

With my Spectrum and Atari ST, if I was unsure about a game, other than the countless reviews I would read before I spent my hard earned pocket money, you could quite easily obtain a 'copy' to try it. If the game was shit, hell, no worries, I never spent any money on it.

Now, you go on to my SNES and eventually N64 games, both University and working respectively. Of course, university leaves you with little cash, therefore, I'm going to be pretty choosey what game a buy and so, I only buy the games that I want to buy. On to the N64 - I'm now working, but, hey, there's many other countless things vying for my money as well as my time. Again, I only make sure I get the games that I want. I don't go out and buy any old shite.

And this is pretty much the same today. I have a well payed job, I do freelancing and they both take up quite a bit of my day. So, I don't have to worry about money and buying games. But, fuck, now my life is pretty much in full swing - a future wife, television programmes that I, she, or both want to watch, friends, paying of mortgage and other bills. See, I pretty much make sure what games I buy are "on the money". If you go out and buy any old shit, you've only got yourself to blame, in my opinion, if you do.

I do have a point somewhere, but I've forgotten and, see, I've got to get back to work.