IGNORED

Final Fantasy X

ryodi

FF X is my first proper Final Fantasy. My friend has been hyping them for last year and a half trying to get me to play them so I collated a collection of the best (VI, VII, VIII and X) and decided to settle down and see what it was like, starting with X. Now, I was prepared for random battles after completing Skies of Arcadia and I could also tolerate Tidus' irritating voice but the game apppears to be an interactive movie, with the player moving for a few steps before another cut scene kicks in. I am only 9 hours in and know FF games are collosal (sp?) in size but the amount of time I have sat and watched the game in comparison to playing it makes a MGS game look as FMV free as SMW.

I'm hoping it gets better because I am starting to get into the story despite myself but an hour of uninterrupted play would not go a miss.

FF X is my first proper Final Fantasy. My friend has been hyping them for last year and a half trying to get me to play them so I collated a collection of the best (VI, VII, VIII and X) and decided to settle down and see what it was like, starting with X. Now, I was prepared for random battles after completing Skies of Arcadia and I could also tolerate Tidus' irritating voice but the game apppears to be an interactive movie, with the player moving for a few steps before another cut scene kicks in. I am only 9 hours in and know FF games are collosal (sp?) in size but the amount of time I have sat and watched the game in comparison to playing it makes a MGS game look as FMV free as SMW.

Perhaps now you see why folk are getting so excited over FF12 potentially breaking so many series conventions; FFX is a mediocre game bolstered with stunning FMV, the prospect of FF12 striking a balance between show and play is utterly enticing.

Have to agree I've tried a number of FF games but just can't get into them. Compared to somthing like BG 2 they are so tight and restrictive you feel like you have no control over anything. I think there very much about the story if it grips you then it turns into an interesting and involving game, but the stories hold no interest for me they all seem so soft and lovey, I want mass destruction and Kobolds.

I'm the exact opposite. Baldurs Gate style combat seems utterly random and the game feels soulless (to use an overused word).

What I want is something with the scope of the Baldurs Gate games, the character creation, the openess combined with the much better battle systems found in some of the Japanese RPGS. And a decent plot, and some nice design.

Hell give me Baldurs Gate 2 with the Vagrant Story or Grandia battle engine.

Ive just played through almost all of FF1 (1 Crystal left now) and I can tell you that the PS1 remakes are perfectly playable, in some ways they are even better than FF10 imo. They are a little tough at the start (FF1 is a bit harsh and you have to level up your characters a bit before you can really do anything), but there is a good sense of progress to the game and both are thoroughly enjoyable.

The biggest problem I can see from just playing FF7 and above is that you miss lots of the novel abilities and idea's from the more 'traditional' FFs (which is all the stuff I really like in the games) and all the characters are jack-of-all-trades (slight exception with FF9) with very little distinguishing skills, which takes a lot away from the battle and exp systems imo.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. You get a lot more freedom in FF10 during the last 1/3 of the game, no more enforced A to B trecking.

I like FFX. So much so that I decided to flog my PAL version, and buy the US version - which made such a bloody difference. Made it almost a new game (never been one to moan about borders, but Square take the piss big time...).

Have to say the cut-scenes are quite amazing.

What's not quite so amazing is (as mentioned above) Tidus' voice - which is a bit suprising as it's voiced by the same bloke who does thingy in Futurama.

Anyway, FFV is the best one.

So there

I loved FFX not only for it's gameplay but also the music and artwork. The only thing that let it down IMO was (as always) the sloppy PAL conversion putting those beautiful environments and intricate detail into squash-o-vision . <_<

I'm severley tempted to get an import PS2 and copy of the game just to play it again without those annoying borders.

What's not quite so amazing is (as mentioned above) Tidus' voice - which is a bit suprising as it's voiced by the same bloke who does thingy in Futurama.

I think the guy from futurama does Wakka and the blue guy, rather than Tidus

edit: oh wait, he was in futurama aswell :/

Ive just played through almost all of FF1 (1 Crystal left now) and I can tell you that the  PS1 remakes are perfectly playable, in some ways they are even better than FF10 imo. They are a little tough at the start (FF1 is a bit harsh and you have to level up your characters a bit before you can really do anything), but there is a good sense of progress to the game and both are thoroughly enjoyable.

The biggest problem I can see from just playing FF7 and above is that you miss lots of the novel abilities and idea's from the more 'traditional' FFs (which is all the stuff I really like in the games) and all the characters are jack-of-all-trades (slight exception with FF9) with very little distinguishing skills, which takes a lot away from the battle  and exp systems imo.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. You get a lot more freedom in FF10 during the last 1/3 of the game, no more enforced A to B trecking.

I've also played through all of the Psone remake series (for my sins) and quite how you can describe the incredibly basic, plot free snorefest which is FF1 as better then X worries me. (played and finished all the FF series except III, which looks unlikely to change until I a better (any) grasp of japanese)

Very simple battle system, no plot, basic dungeons, masses of simplistic random battles and huge amounts of levelling up to progress....

Sorry I'm a massive FF fan but I wouldn't make anyone play though the first couple of games unless they really wanted to see how the games had progressed...

I've also played through all of the Psone remake series (for my sins) and quite how you can describe the incredibly basic, plot free snorefest which is FF1 as better then X worries me. (played and finished all the FF series except III, which looks unlikely to change until I a better (any) grasp of japanese)

Very simple battle system, no plot, basic dungeons, masses of simplistic random battles and huge amounts of levelling up to progress....

Sorry I'm a massive FF fan but I wouldn't make anyone play though the first couple of games unless they really wanted to see how the games had progressed...

O/\O

FF10 is exactly this but with a fairly shabby story* on top. FF1 does have a story, its just it doesnt push you around from A to B under some pretext of performing a plot relevant task like your modern RPG-cum-interactive-movie does.

* depends on your interpretation

FF10 is exactly this but with a fairly shabby story* on top. FF1 does have a story, its just it doesnt push you around from A to B under some pretext of performing a plot relevant task like your modern RPG-cum-interactive-movie does.

* depends on your interpretation

Erm hang on...were we playing the same game here?

The plot of FF: there's these 4 hero (who just happened to be wandering around convieniently together)....and they are required to go on a quest to find some crystals. They get them...the end. Its a (not so) mini adventure

Okay there's a slight little twist at the end....but really thats about it.

FFX has its flaws but it manages a little more detail and epic scope then that...

Depends what you want out of a game...but for all its freedom (well having a world map at least) all you can do FF outside the main 'plot' is wander around and kill monsters.

Personally I play RPGs mainly for the story....without this key element they rather fall apart as the 'gameplay' is ultimatly fairly repetitive in even the best examples.

I'm not FFX's greatest fan.... (I'm with the FFVI brigade) but its enjoyable and spectacular....and the battle system is 100s of times better then the rudimentary stuff in FFI...as you'd expect really 14 years on (not to mention real puzzles...mini games and other assorted window dressing).

Of course the best RPG of recent times is Xenosaga...but then that really is an interactive anime series...

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying I dont like FF10, I do (I also rate 6 as the top of my list), but I dont see why your saying FF1 is that bad. Beyond the story and a few extra things (mini-games - which are getting worse as the series progresses imo, and side quests etc), there is very little between the two - or any of the other games really. The experience and battle systems are more fleshed out, obviously, with new abilities such as enemy skills and so on, but the core gameplay mechanics are the same, scarily so, in fact.

Anyways, cant be arsed to talk more on that, lets just agree to disagree, or something.

Also, I would be as harsh as to say Xenosaga (which I also love) is an interactive movie, or whatever, as the game is fantastic, its just periodically interupted by a very long chunk of video/story (which lets be honest, all RPGs do to some degree - they are usually more subtle though).

edit: also the music in FF1 rocks, hard. I love it so much (probably because I recognise the music from so many of the later games, and I'd only played the bleepy NES version previsously). I was gonna post in retro about this, but I couldnt manage to pry myself away from it to type up my thoughts, but Ive done it here now.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying I dont like FF10, I do (I also rate 6 as the top of my list), but I dont see why your saying FF1 is that bad. Beyond the story and a few extra things (mini-games - which are getting worse as the series progresses imo, and side quests etc), there is very little between the two - or any of the other games really. The experience and battle systems are more fleshed out, obviously, with new abilities such as enemy skills and so on, but the core gameplay mechanics are the same, scarily so, in fact.

Anyways, cant be arsed to talk more on that, lets just agree to disagree, or something.

Also, I would be as harsh as to say Xenosaga (which I also love) is an interactive movie, or whatever, as the game is fantastic, its just periodically interupted by a very long chunk of video/story (which lets be honest, all RPGs do to some degree - they are usually more subtle though).

Okay this is true....each FF game has always been an evolution rather then a revolution, but strip back the story and the set pieces which makes the later games so great and there's not much there gamewise...hence my disdain for FFI.

Anyway I'm done with this one too...I'm quite happy to let you keep FFI! <_<

Xenosaga is an interactive movie....its a very good one...indeed there's nothing wrong with the idea of an interactive movie imho if the game bits are done right...Xenosaga does take the piss a little in the length of some of the cut scene (the lead up to the song of nephillem dungeon is over half an hour for gods sake) but it gets away with it because the story is fasinating...

I think FFXI is the best.. even if it is completely different to the others (hence the reason it's better <_< )

I'm really looking forward to FFXII now, as from what I've read, it seems a lot like FFXI, but offline. Should be ace.

FF VII is next on my list after I managed to pick up a pristine copy from WH Smiths for £1.99. I will finallt get to find out what the hype was about.

But honestly, I do not think I will be able to finish FF X because 5-10 minute cutscenes keep getting in the way. Going back to SoA that game had simple short cutscenes that moved the story along and were not intrusive. In X it's almost like the game is apologetic in letting you do something because moving from one area to the next to activate a cut scene does not a game make.

I loved X as well, I thought the sphere grid and the way you could swap characters mid battle was great.

Freedom is all well and good but it can come at the expense of the story and the story is what keeps me playing RPGs

Well done cut scenes are something I enjoy and look forward to in a game and some of the scenes in X are stunning, although X-2's take it to another level IMHO.

If you don't like cut scenes definately stay away from Xenosaga as it has save points in it's scenes, but they are brilliantly done and I thought it a truly stunning game and can't wait for the sequel.

I agree with Icebox, XI is the best for me even if it is a different type of game and if freedom is what you are after then maybe you should give it a go.

The reason people call FFX more of an interactive movie is because all of the dialogue scenes from the past games (which were normally just text boxes that you had to scroll through) have been replaced with movies instead (that you don't have to scroll through). I really don't think there are any less 'interactive' bits, it's just a change in the way the non-interactive bits are presented.

How much of an improvement over the PAL versions are the NTSC versions of FFVII/VIII/VIX

The only one I've played both versions of is FFVIII, and apart from some out-of-sync music at the end (showing the difference in speed?) I really couldn't tell the difference. But then, I'm not overly perceptive of such things.