IGNORED

Final Fantasy X

ryodi

The thing that pisses me off the most about FF games (aside from people liking them for the sake of it [not aimed at those who genuinely like them]) is the forced extension to the play-time. Like the bit where you have to go up a million flights of stairs into the Shinra building in FF7 or the bit where you have to look in every room EXCEPT the right one before you can look in the right one in the Galbadia Garden in FF8.

i've recently started FFX as well (only clocked up about 3.5 hours so far i think). i'm intrigued by the story, but i cant say its captured my imagination in the way FFVII did. thinking about FFVII fills me with glee and nostalgia, where as 10 so far seems like a bit more of a chore.

i played through VIII as well, which didnt seem as good as VII either, but i did feel more involved with the game.

FFX has actually got a decent story, in fact the story was the only bloody thing which forced me to endure the worst dungeons and environments that the FF games have ever had. FFX's story starts off slow but stick with it and it gets really involving, and the subcharacters are great, Auron, Wakka, Lulu especially.

FFX's combat is a refreshing change but the massive number of random battles (sooo many huge bland areas to wander around) makes you want to cry. The environments in FFX lack imagination and are 90% poo. I personally liked the cutscenes though, after you get over the main 2 characters annoying voices. FMV as usual is pretty stunning.

So play FFX for the story, give the game a chance cos the story takes a while to get going.

If you want to play the best FF games try 7, 8 and FFX-2. I would always pick 7 as the definitive version though. 8 is good but gets crap at the end, and the story is no shazam compared to 7's. I'm really looking forward to FFX2 though.

and thus forcing yourself to quit your job and putting all of your social contacts on hold for about 5 years.

The NES games are mostly forgettable (with the possible exception of FF III), but SNES games are genuinely worthwhile game which remain completely playable to this day. If you can pick up FF Anthology (FFs IV & V) and FF VI on the Playstation you'll have a load of fun (prepare for some dire loading times though).

Finally, somebody who agrees with me.

It's all about FFIV guys, it really is.

Go play it.

I always thought number IV suffered due to Square not really getting to grips with SNES graphics on their first FF for the machine.

Honestly, it looks like a NES game, but with slightly more colours...

However, it's still playable - and I do like the flying armadas...and pirates.

Avast.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on my progress if anyone is interested (which I doubt).

I am now 39 hours in and have reached The Calm Lands. The story seems give the impression that it is about to get exciting then peters out before regaining my interest again through yet more painfully long cutscenes and ***spoiler***the scene with Yuna and Tidus kissing in the lake is possibly the most cringeworthy CGI I have ever seen that is not helped by the music***spoiler***. I'm still not sure about the game. It lacks any real freedom and desperately needs a town or two to explore just to liven it up a but because currently I have no affinity to Spira or any of the characters I am guiding to save it. I just feel this is a game I have to complete, possibly because I have already bought X-2 to play after it.

Do I love Final Fantasy? Yes

Do I love Final Fantasy X? Kinda, Sorta.

It's Final Fantasy, which is good. But the lack of freedom concerning the places to travel to makes the game feel very confined and "chronological", which ruins the experience for me a great deal.

I still haven't finished it.