videos of games

Guardian

i don't know why i enjoy it so much, but i love watching videos of games. well, good ones, anyway. naturally superplays of shooters is a category that quickly comes to mind, but i also have time attacks for games like mega man 2, contra, etc. as well as weird japanese puzzle games being rocked. anyway, this is officially the best website ever.

i also saw a very nice technical demo of metroid fusion once where the player's goal was not to finish the game quickly or get every item, but rather to play the game quickly and without taking a hit. he showed off extreme coordination and grace, and i loved to watch his samus doing exploratory gymnastics through complex passages with extreme ease. i'll find the link to it later.

i came across a forum on directconnect++ dedicated to videos of fighting games--they had a huge amount of complete tournament captures, technique demos, and other great stuff. it was ridiculously niche and totally cool.

can't find anyone doing strider on any of those sites... i had a friend who could complete the game without taking a hit! which was amazing to watch, it almost looks like youre watching a cartoon rather than a game, which says a lot for the design of the set-pieces.

i came across a forum on directconnect++ dedicated to videos of fighting games--they had a huge amount of complete tournament captures, technique demos, and other great stuff. it was ridiculously niche and totally cool.

Probably the GoForBroke hub. Very cool - I've downloaded many Zero 3 and 3rd Strike vids from there.

As an aside, if anyone's into 3rd Strike and wants to check out some spectacular action, see if you can find the movies from TOSF (Toronto SF tourney of 2002). Absolutely mindblowing stuff in there.

Quake done quick.

i hated quake done quick. it's too dark and choppy and he just flies through everything; basically, i guess i don't think a fps can be fun if sped through that way.

another non-reco is mgs, it's also very dark and it wasn't fun at all.

i watch ikaruga superplays almost everyday. it's the morning poetry that helps me to start my day.

Those links are brilliant but kind of annoying! I had loads of ideas for speed run videos and have started working on them. I thought Castlevania Symphony Of The Night would be do-able with the good ending in about 2 hours but some guy there does it with Richter in 13 minutes! I find it hard to believe he gets the best ending (he doesn't say and I haven't downloaded it yet so probably the simplest quickest route) but still, that makes my attempt pointless! lol.

I reckon I can beat the MGS speed run. Like Redeye says though, people that write books don't talk about writing books they just get on and do it. Same with speed videos I guess.

I'm about 45 minutes off finishing a Resident Evil remake video. I think it should be quite entertaining (it had better be at 532mb).

Are you still on dial-up? I'm going to log on tomorrow morning and have the connection on ALL day probably, just downloading from these excellent links.

On the plus side, my Dad won't have to answer any calls from people trying to sell conservatories or double glazing etc.