alternative video games sites

Preacher

Is anyone else sick of the likes of ign and gamespot and what have you? It's not that they're bad sites or anything, but there's a distinctive quality that's been missing from video games sites for ages (at least to my knowledge, but we'll move onto that riiiight....now) - gamers experiences.

To be frank, I regard this forum as a truly comprehensive, informative but most importantly, and this is the quality I was talking about before - entertaining.

[old age] I remember when I was a lad [/old age] that reading magazines had a community feel to them - you felt as though the reviewers were actually doing you a favour, not just reviewing games as a matter of course. Remember back to the days of mean machines, super play and what have you? Reviewers weren't just a name attached to the end of a review, they were characters that you could readily identify by their opinions or by their blatant bias towards certain genres. Granted, this was a period where games journo's were keen to elevate themselves to some sort of celebrity status, but by crikey - their attempts were at least entertaining.

As far as I know, there's nowhere on the internet like that. There's no character and the focus is blatantly on quantity over quality. There's no need to inundate readers with endless reviews and previews, so where are the websites for gamers to read? I want to read articles, anecdotes, experiences - not the same, tired reviews, previews and top 100 lists.

Any suggestions?

you may be interested in mine when it launches.

it's going to be http://www.gameinsider.com/

no pr/marketing folk dicating to us what we should cover, how we should cover it and what review scores we have to give.

no kickbacks or anything like that.

feel free to sign up on the forums for the time being.

as your forum login will be the same account used to access the main site once it launches.

we're also looking for potential reviewers/contributers/etc and the same login would be used to access our content backend.

send a pm to bandersnatch on gameinsider if you're interested.

thanks.

feel free to sign up on the forums for the time being.

Sorry, but what? Are you going to charge for it after a certain time? Get real, please.

That's what most sites do on the intermaweb, they review games how they want to, because they have no one to answer to.

Sorry, but what? Are you going to charge for it after a certain time? Get real, please.

That's what most sites do on the intermaweb, they review games how they want to, because they have no one to answer to.

I took that to mean 'sign up and use the forums for the time being until the site alunches, then you can browse the site and shit'

That insert credit site rocks though, good call <_<

Whaa?

When he said "for the time being" he meant - sign up and use the forums for the time being, before the site properly launches.

Polmon beat me to this, but I'm going to post it anyway! <_<

And as for good gaming sites, I recommend http://www.wayoftherodent.com/ which I've just started visiting. Great site.

I'd heard of way of the rodent previously, but after having a snoop round they do come pretty darn close to being the kind of thing I'm looking for. Still, it didn't stop me having a quick bash myself tonight, so I decided to churn out a quick blogger effort and attach it to my webspace.

It's not finished or anything, nor is it really indicative of the type of site I want to make, but have a read anyway, if you like.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/neonplayground/...st_article.html

I'd heard of way of the rodent previously, but after having a snoop round they do come pretty darn close to being the kind of thing I'm looking for. Still, it didn't stop me having a quick bash myself tonight, so I decided to churn out a quick blogger effort and attach it to my webspace.

It's not finished or anything, nor is it really indicative of the type of site I want to make, but have a read anyway, if you like.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/neonplayground/...st_article.html

I couldn't have put it better myself.

My sentiments on videogame mags = Preacher's article

I couldn't have put it better myself.

My sentiments on videogame mags = Preacher's article

Cheers guv, twas a quickie rant so I'll probably go over it and clean it up. ;)

God knows I don't expect that I'll turn out the answer to my own and other peoples prayers, but I'm strangely compelled to try. Naturally my opinions share some common ground with other peoples, but then there's the little things I miss about magazines or magazine-style publications: the sense of community, the sense that you should take pride in gaming. Though I suspect that I'm confusing these traits with my own zealous nature way back when, I'm keen to see what I can churn out.

Who knows, eh? <_<

I like Eurogamer, good news content, I agree with their reviews and quite "personable" style. If there was a print version, I'd buy it.

I think Eurogamer do a good job too. I've read more interesting reviews on there than I have anywhere else online recently.

I don't mind Gamespot and use their download facility regularly. Gamestyle are OK too.

Whaa?

When he said "for the time being" he meant - sign up and use the forums for the time being, before the site properly launches.

Polmon beat me to this, but I'm going to post it anyway! ;)

And as for good gaming sites, I recommend http://www.wayoftherodent.com/ which I've just started visiting. Great site.

Maybe I'm a bit old at 33, but wayof therodent didn't seem to be written in english for the most part.