IGNORED

Tactics games

Andy_Tanner

i'm thinking specifically about turn based strategy games, or strategy RPG's. things like Tactics Ogre, Front Mission, Advance Wars, Dynasty Tactics, Kessen or anything really that sits within a similar genre.

i'm thinking of getting Dynasty Tactics II or Kessen II. any advice or other recommendations?

I've been playing Ring of Red on and off since december and am really enjoying it. It's basically turn based giant robots with a goofy "alternate timeline" cold-war plot (Japan gets invaded by Russia).

You have your standard tactical map where you move all your units around and then actually attacks are in real time with you giving orders, deciding whether to trade off accuracy for speed, triggering special attacks or special artillery shells etc. The strategy comes from what terrain you attack from, time of day and how you configure you crew and infantry that support your mech(a)(um)(eee...) in combat.

It's dirt cheap too (game had it for a fiver last time I checked).

Other then that I've been limping through Disgaea, which is insanely complex and has penguins with knives in.

I'm really enjoying Front Mission 4 at the moment

Shining 3 on the Saturn (with translations for parts 2 & 3) are possibly the best turnbased strategy/tactics games created and are my bench mark for all fun tactical rpg (note the word fun there)

And the first 2 are great (2 > 1 probably)

Disgaea is very very deep which put me of it a little

La Pucelle seems a little more straight forward and enjoyable

Advanced wars 1 was great (not played 2)

Heroes of Might and Magic 2 & 3 took a lot of my time (and I probably wouldnt even have mentioned it if superstarbeejay hadnt jogged my memory!)

Fire Emblem on the GBA is also great!

90% of Atlus' tactics games seem brilliant

As Soong mentioned FSW is a nice take on the idea, realtime tactics almost

In a similar vein what I've played of Future Tactics (or Pillage as some may know it) was another nice twist on an otherwise statbased drudge of a genre

Hell a friend of mine even talked my into trying ChampMan as a turnbased strategy game ... now theres some food for thought!

Theres loads of em out there, go give one a go

thanks for all the replies :)

Have you played Wrath Unleashed?
no, tell me more please.

lots of mention for Disgea, that's out PAL PS2 isn't it, what's the difficulty level like?

Ring of Red is a superb game, i got that a few years ago.

so what about Dynasty tactics or Kessen II, are they shite?

thanks for all the replies :)

no, tell me more please.

lots of mention for Disgea, that's out PAL PS2 isn't it, what's the difficulty level like?

Disgaea PAL is out (and everyone kicked off about something to do with it, i dunno the dub or movies or something) and its very very very deep. Translate that to whatever difficulty you want. Personally I literally dont have the time for it so its been shelved.

Isnt Dynasty Tactics 2 out? I have a feeling that it reviewed better than the first, I've always fancied a bash on one of these

As for Kessen ... no idea

How many PS1 tactics games were there? I played FF-Tactics to death and I've got a mate who's going to dig out his copy of Vandal Hearts next time he visits his parents but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, the x-com/UFO games came out on PS1 didn't they? I bought three seperate copies of UFO over a period of a couple of years (Amiga, PC and again for PC when I lost the first one), it's one of the most engrossing games I've ever played. Building bases, researching technology and all that, sneaking up commando style on crashed UFO's. Awesome stuff.

Is this for any console in particular?

My all time favourite console tactic games are Vandal Hearts and Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1.

Handheld...well I think that's obvious enough.

any format (including PC). speaking of handhelds anyone played Onimusha Tactics? i have AW1&2 and i love 'em. FF Tactics any good (on gba) ?

thanks for all the replies :D

no, tell me more please.

I'm a Strategy RPG virgin, and I decided to let Disgaea take my cherry...

I've been loving it. There's a link to a free strategy guide in both the Disgaea threads that are floating around in here.

I'm finding the depth to be welcome. When I can't do a stage due to getting wiped by the baddies, I have a few options to get stronger:

Repeat earlier levels (easy but gets dull)

Take promotion Exams with individual characters

Go into an item to level it (and the characters) up and move the inhabitants that you subdue into your swords or something.

I'm loving it at the minute!

Not quite tactics, but with lots of similarities is Ogre Battle 64. Awesome, awesome game. It's a mix of real-time with turn-basedish stuff. Lots of levelling, customising. It's the same setting, unit types, etc. as the Tactics Ogre games. The plot is the usual: politics, politics, politics, giant evil demon thing.

I loved this game more than any other game, perhaps.

Is that turn based or real time?

Yes.

Well, it's got a turn-based world map bit where you move units between regions and make new ones etc, and then the actual battles are real-time, but with a pause button for reissuing orders.

Rome: TW is going to be one totally scalable map, zoom from viewing all Italy right down to seeing individual soldiers trudging through the fields.:D

Disgaea

La Pucelle

FF-Tactics

I wouldn't recommend diving in head-first, those are some of the more difficult examples of SRPGs... I'd say, give Shining Force on the GBA a try, as well as other GBA suspects like Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, etc. Then work your way up to Disgaea and FF Tactics.

The GBA is your friend in this wonderful new world!

Hitcher, have you played Fire Emblem and if so what do you think of it compared to AW?

Was wondering that as well. Love AW 1&2 but really getting into Fire Emblem. Lovely little game.

BTW Hitch, got that SCART box you were going on about from Play - excellent bit of kit - thanks.

Hitcher, have you played Fire Emblem and if so what do you think of it compared to AW?
Was wondering that as well. Love AW 1&2 but really getting into Fire Emblem. Lovely little game.

I never got to play it that much (my youngest son is still borrowing it :D ) I did like it's style, not as much as AW mind you.

The only thing I didn't like was the 'In Battle Saving' which was highly frustrating when a character got killed and ultimately pointless because you'd have no other option but to start the whole chapter again.

BTW Hitch, got that SCART box you were going on about from Play - excellent bit of kit - thanks.

Good to hear.