IGNORED

What's happening here?

CupOfTea

I followed a link form a post on Gamesradar to this here forum and I was well chuffed to see a development folder.

What kind of stuff is being developed by people here?

What langauges are people using on what platforms?

As for me, I'm currently working on a 2D game which could be loosely described as taking interesting bits from Bangai-O, Space Invaders, Ikaruga and Vib Ribbon and bunging them all together! I'm using C++ and the SDL library to create it (www.libsdl.org). I'm developing it on WinXP but am hoping ports for Linux and Dreamcast should be fairly straightforward as SDL is cross platform.

*goes to put the kettle on*

Well I've got myself a copy of Blitz Plus after all the good things I've heard about it here and have so far (since December) managed to make: 1 unfinished Asteroids clone (abandoned) and 1 unifinished Robotron clone (entitled This Day Must Die and being sporadically worked on).

I doubt I could have even managed that working in C++ (did a bit of C++ at Uni... coding isn't really my strong point...).

At some point after I've finished TDMD I'm going to start on either a strategy RPG or a horizontal shmup, again both in Blitz and try to make a bit more of an effort and maybe try and get a team together on here so I concentrate on the coding (I generally type code with my tounge lolling out of the corner of my mouth while making this noise: "duhhh...", so I need to concentrate on it).

I'm developing... actually I don't know what I'm developing. At the moment it's just a basic 3D engine (DirectX, C++). I've got ideas of what my next project will be but they're a bit grand, so they'll probably get shelved.

Not that I ever particularly post in here.

About to start making a game for the GBA in C/C++ (its going to be my uni 3rd year project) Haven't got anything concrete yet, just been playing around with some demos at the moment to get the hang of things. Chose the GBA 'cos its something slightly different, and once I get a flash card I can get it running on the actual hardware, which should be pretty neat.

Good to see the spirit of the rllmuk development folder is spreading :) doesn't get read all that much tbh mainly just a load of us toting our ideas for projects then going quiet for ages, your project sounds most intriguing cupoftea, keep us posted.

Guest nomenclature

A wee while ago I was trying to write some kind of vertically scrolling shooter in C++/SDL/OpenGL on the Mac. It was going okay. I had a fairly decent model loader up and running and had tools for making models and textures sorted. I'd started fiddling with a basic state framework too.

Unfortunately work programming is killing my enthusiasm for doing anything at the moment, so it's kind of been shelved. Now there's a surprise!

I'm currently porting some of my older demos to run natively on the Mac with Objective C using Xcode on OSX.

Most of them are small components of a much larger idea involving graphics, physics, file loaders and input but I've never stuck them all together to form a coherant "engine".

Having said that in rewriting small chunks at a time I think I'm doing a better job of approaching the often attempted "3D engine" and my work so far runs very well on an iBook with a meagre ATI Mobility 9200 despite very little optimisation.

I'm also working on another little project using C++, DSL and BulletML that is influenced by the likes of rRootage and Warning Forever...

I'm trying a few ideas I've had to make a "unique" shooter but still haven't come up with a formula that I like. It's pretty scriptable though so I can try lots of different combos.

I might just release the source eventually and let someone else do the hard work!

In the course of developing the game I've given the source to a friend who used it to make a cracking Star Soldier clone but he's having trouble with my occasionally quick and dirty code and it crashes A LOT.

Other than that I've been fucking with Java3D lately and not liking it a whole lot.

Unfortunately work programming is killing my enthusiasm for doing anything at the moment, so it's kind of been shelved. Now there's a surprise!

My problem as well.

I used to enjoy mucking around with Blitz Basic 2 on the Amiga. When they released a PC version I got dead excited, downloaded a demo and then ... nothing.

I just don't have the energy when I come home anymore.

Working on a bomberman clone at the moment which I'm desperate to get finished as my first ever completely finished game...

The last 10% takes 90% of the time unfortunately, and I need a pixelartist to replace all the borrowed graphics before I can release it :ph34r:

After a break of months, I'm back to doing a bit of coding in BlitzPlus, coupled with a userlib that lets me draw transprarent quads. (Extended B2D DLL, from blitzcoder)

I'm making a platform game, as I have been on and off for the best part of a decade. The engines I've made have got progressively more worthwhile. I'm hoping that my latest one will keep me going long enough to actually finish a few levels.

I haven't finished any yet, but here's a pic of the engine in action.

newDLL.jpg

When a level is done, I'll post here. I'm pretty keen for feedback on the way it plays.

Programming's a good laugh. Whenever I come back to it after a break, I kick myself that I waited so long.

I'm developing a 3D landscape engine, there's a screenshot here if anyone fancies a look.

I've only been working on it for a few days in total, so its still a bit early, but hopefully I'll get the tech side stable and fully featured enough to do open it up for people to play with soonish.

I'm developing a 3D landscape engine, there's a screenshot here if anyone fancies a look.

I've only been working on it for a few days in total, so its still a bit early, but hopefully I'll get the tech side stable and fully featured enough to do open it up for people to play with soonish.

How are you developing that?

Heighmaps for the terrain and quadtrees for LOD stuff?

How are you developing that?

Heighmaps for the terrain and quadtrees for LOD stuff?

C# and managed DirectX

The terrain is made from tiles of fractal noise, so no heightmaps as such, new "levels" can be created by tweaking the inputs to the noise function. There is no scene data structure in place yet, but I'll probably add a quadtree or at least a grid for culling. At the moment there's not even frustrum culling, I'm amazed at how fast modern cards (Geforce 4) are as there are over a million polys in that scene and it runs at 100fps!

Things to do asap:

1. Replace vertex structure to allow multi textured terrain and get rid of that damn repeating texture!

2. Add scene data structure and frustrum culling.

3. Add hlsl support for rendering, which will allow me to finish the water (its just a hack at the mo).

Should be able to get that done in a day or two, maybe this weekend...

Then:

4. Add jumping and other player movement.

5. Add collision detection for scene objects (terrain only at the mo).

Then I can make a game with it :)

i've started doing another ray tracer in C++ (screenshots from my old one can be seen on mchugh.port5.com (i think)).

this time i'm doing it properly - as its not for an academic project this time, i've been able to take the time to really think about it, and get it properly OO from the start.

i keep thinking about doing some sort of game engine, but i have enough of that at work - so offline rendering is a much more pleasant passtime in my spare time,

I'm developing... actually I don't know what I'm developing. At the moment it's just a basic 3D engine (DirectX, C++). I've got ideas of what my next project will be but they're a bit grand, so they'll probably get shelved.

Not that I ever particularly post in here.

Things are changing.

At the moment I'm exploring the idea of a gaming equivalent of a "short story". We're not talking revolutionary gameplay, we're talking max 3-hour long RPGs/adventure games. I'm working on the underlying engine that will power each "story", so that making another one just involves extra assets & scripting without major engine rework.

I'm toying with the idea of "Guest Writers", so if you think you've got what it takes, in a few months there might be a challenge for you...

Quite grand ideas. Will probably never materialize. But unless you've got something high to aim for, there's no motivation...

I think this is an excellent idea.

Did you ever play Way of the Samurai? That took about that long to play through (it was geared up to play through multiple times, with a bunch of different endings and the like).

But it was a really nice length, in that you could sit down of an evening and play the whole game. Its nice to go back to it every now and then. Whereas massive games like Final Fantasy or Zelda are so big that it seems like quite a commitment to replay, them so I never do.

This way of the samurai sounds very interesting, I've never heard of it is it the one who's sequel was reviewed in EDGE recently? What format is it on?

I think this is an excellent idea.

Did you ever play Way of the Samurai? That took about that long to play through (it was geared up to play through multiple times, with a bunch of different endings and the like).

But it was a really nice length, in that you could sit down of an evening and play the whole game. Its nice to go back to it every now and then. Whereas massive games like Final Fantasy or Zelda are so big that it seems like quite a commitment to replay, them so I never do.

First: thanks! (if anyone gets there before me, though, I will hang them up by their testicles with cheese wire).

I did play Way of the Samurai, and was quite inspired by it (it wasn't a concious inspiration for this project, though, but I'm sure there's an element of unconcious inspiration in there). I didn't play it much because I was rubbish at the combat and thus never got anywhere, but I liked the concept.

Give it a go.  Programming is one of the most rewarding skills you can learn.

I've been really impressed at how even an artist like myself can reap the pleasurable rewards from a spot of programming, wading through sample code to decipher what you need then applying the new found knowledge to your own program or even solving minor bug problems, it really feels like your getting nowhere sometimes though, but thats all adds to what you get out of it <_<