The old Nintendo Hotline

outspaced

It's long gone now but I remember calling up a few times for help on Link's awakening and a few other GB titles- it was my only console back in the day.

Looking in the back of a GC instruction book, they advertise a premium rate automated service. I think that the way it was, a national rate call staffed by people who actually seemed to know what they were talking about (ok, I'm sure they had a flow chart in front of them) was brilliant. I'm not saying it should come back now as we have gamefaqs etc for the occasional helping hand, but I just thought it was a nice touch by Nintendo in the pre-internet days.

Did anybody here ever call them, or even man the lines?

The #1 phone call the Nintendo hotline got was for that little puzzle in GB Zelda. The one where you have to hit the Stalfos, Rabbit and Slimeball in a special order.

I never phoned them, i never really seemed to get stuck on games. YAY me.

Infact I myself turned into a Zelda LTTP hotline for some guy at school. Well he got stuck a couple of times, and for some reason i gave him my phone number to call if he got stuck anymore. He phoned me about 25 times during the week. He was a cunt too, so i dont know why i helped him.

To my shame, I did it many times in the heydey of the SNES. Super Mario World and LTTP were the main problem areas. They were very good, but I still never finished LTTP. Thank god I can now consult gamefaqs without the shame of it showing up on my phone bill.

I never called the hotline but came close on a few occasions. What was the little blurb in the back of every ninty manual?

The only bit I can remember is "Are you being stomped by a thwomp in Mario 3?". Gnnn.

The #1 phone call the Nintendo hotline got was for that little puzzle in GB Zelda. The one where you have to hit the Stalfos, Rabbit and Slimeball in a special order.

AAAGH! That puzzle drove me bloody nuts!

(Note: I was about ten years old at the time).

i wrote nintendo a letter asking about the endings in chrono trigger, and they sent back a letter (clearly not mass-written) detailing every ending in the game. it's like an eight page letter, and i still have it.

That's fucking ace. I'm really impressed by that.

I remember ringing a few times over Super Metroid.

God I was rubbish at that game....hmmmm, nope no idea what to do now....again

There was only one bit that seriously had me stumped for a long time: how to get into Maridia proper. I think it came to me in a dream in the end (and the solution to that puzzle is an iconic metroid moment).. Don't think I called the helpline about that one, though.

I think I called at some point...

It was in ONM (I'm pretty sure) that there was an interview with those on the Nintendo Hotline - pics and all. It went on about how they used to play games inside out, showed pics of all these TV's set up with NES and SNES consoles attached and the helpers with headphones and a telephone by them.

What an ace job - playing games inside out all day long and helping people.

I think I called at some point...

It was in ONM (I'm pretty sure) that there was an interview with those on the Nintendo Hotline - pics and all. It went on about how they used to play games inside out, showed pics of all these TV's set up with NES and SNES consoles attached and the helpers with headphones and a telephone by them.

What an ace job - playing games inside out all day long and helping people.

yeah i remember that too.

Im also sure on the Super Mario Bros All Star video presented by Craig Charles(the video came free with Mario All Star SNES set) that they showed you around the Nintendo Hotline center too, it was pretty interesting.

I called about Turtles 1 on the NES

Because it was rock hard.

I called about that too, but it didn't help. Kept getting killed in the technodrome or whatever it was called, even if I had all my turtles at full health before starting the level.

Did anyone manage to complete it?