Why I Hate Squaresoft

biglime

Okay.

FFVIII- atrocious plot. Nonsensical.

Parasite Eve. Terrible from start to finish.

World Fantasista- Just play it. But don't pay to play it.

And Xenogears- as bad as Squaresoft storytelling gets (and they're terrible at it) this is the worst. Absolute shite, new-age gibberish, pretentious claptrap, clueless scripting, a plot that twists so many times it becomes a chore even to press the X button to read some more.

R.

Well, you don't have to play them, y'know.

But yes, FF8 was a piece of shit.

It has to be remembered that for a period, all Squaresoft games were hailed as masterpieces. By fans and games magazines alike. So you had no sense of right or wrong until you had to endure the fucking BILGE that company had produced.

Even the completely average Einhander was hailed as some sort of second coming. Christ.

R.

On the other hand, FFVII is one the greatest games of all time.

One of the most returned games of all time, apparently.

It was alright, I suppose. the music was great, but the random battles were still as shit as they've ever been. and anyone who cried at the aeris getting moidered scene is a bit...unbalanced, IMO. :D

I loved all their SNES games.

I don't care for anything the've done on PS or PS2. Always clunky and a heavy reliance on expensive graphics that make the game harder to play.

It tried to play Kingdom Hearts the other day. What a soul-sapping experience that was. The money spent on that could have been used to develop about 20 good games.

I've been slowly playing through FF8 for a few weeks now. It's not bad. It's occasionally laugh out loud funny (though not intentionally).

Anyone who expects a video game plot to make sense expects way too much IMO.

How so? They're games. Games.

Nah, I agree with biglime on this. If some games are going to be narratively based, we really are going to have to find a way of improving both delivery AND content. Square do this well sometimes, sometimes they do it very poorly indeed.

How so? They're games. Games.

When a game compromises on gameplay to focus on story and character, the story and character elements better be strong.

Think about it.

And this willingness to accept shit won't help gaming to evolve at all...

R.

Think of your favourite narrative based games. Now think of your favourite novels or movies. Has the best game you can think of got the depth of characterisation, structure or narrative flow of a good book or film?

I'm not saying games shouldn't or can't be as well written and thoughtful, just that I've never encountered one that has and as such I've never played a game expecting the same kind of emotional involvement I would expect from a film or novel.

FF4 through 10 (and pretty much all RPGs) are basically soap opera. Goofy anime meets D&D soap opera to hang the character progression / levelling up / combat dynamics / exploration and eye candy off.