IGNORED

Why I Hate Squaresoft

biglime

No, you're not wrong. I'm sure there are still-better solutions but this model is still much better than the random battle one.

That's how I feel as well. Allowing the player to see where enemies are and giving him/her the chance to avoid them is a temporary solution to this problem, but it is only a first step.

What tactical ability is needed in FF games? None. What sense of development and progression is there? None.

Bigger numbers, that's all. Bigger numbers.

Exactly.

An insertcredit article that was basically a retroreview of the original Final Fantasy really hit on the numbers game that they've been playing over the years and made me realize that the numbers you would have deemed significant in an earlier game have become meaningless. The writer called it Hit Point Inflation. My thought is that it's almost as if they are unconsciously acknowledging that they have to make the numbers bigger and bigger each game to even pretend that the player is impressed by his characters' statistical progress. How much longer can this last?

That's how I feel as well. Allowing the player to see where enemies are and giving him/her the chance to avoid them is a temporary solution to this problem, but it is only a first step.

But you would still need to fight them so as to be at a sufficient level to defeat the tougher enemies.

Well, ideally, you would want to, because it would be fun and not a jaggedly separate mode of gameplay.

True (even though I am a complete Square fan boy)

It's been a while since I played it but didn't Grandia 2 take you into battle with a swirly effect whenever you chose to fight?

Someone convince me to try the Suikoden series.

Well the convincing ain't coming from me, I can tell you that.

Soulless, dull, built with totally non-interactive environments and complex for the sake of it. That's Suikoden 3.

suikoden1.jpg

Charm.

R.

Hmmm but Suikoden is dated and rather simplistic. Something of a 'my first RPG' really.

FF IV -VI have aged much better....superior plots and more to do.

But then again gameplaywise there isn't a huge gap between Suikoden and most of Square's recent output.

Methinks you may just be bored of RPGs...

Well the convincing ain't coming from me, I can tell you that.

Soulless, dull, built with totally non-interactive environments and complex for the sake of it. That's Suikoden 3.

And whats wrong with being complex for the sake of it?

Surely this plays a large portion of most RPGs gameplay?

Anyway play Suikoden 2 - its the best of the series

Suikoden III is one of the greatest games of all time. The storyline was great, the 108 souls approach of the series is even better. Because in Final Fantasy, 10 heroes always save the world, while in real-life many more people contribute it. Soldiers did not win the 2nd World War -- it was the underground that made the difference. Suikoden III does a wonderful job showing just that. The soundtrack of Michiru Oshima was magic and the character designs were great as well. The best thing may very well that it showed the story from the perspective of different characters. First, I hated some characters but later I understood why they were doing such things. This feeling has never been triggered by any other Role Playing Game. Definately one of the best Role Playing Games I have ever played. I would not say the best as I liked Final Fantasy VII and Grandia II to a great extent as well. I am now enjoying Tales of Symphonia and that one is giving me a great game experience uptill now.

The Trinity Sight System works brilliantly.

I think it was a really brave move. My only disappointment with it is the odd battle system, but i'm used to it now, and fly through the battles. It has random battles but not many at all.

Recruiting all 108 stars f destiny and building your castle is so compelling I just can't stop playing.

It seems to me that FF games these days are really adventure games with some additional polish. After all, the story is linear and you can only get to the end in one way, which is mapped out for you, and ultimately your actions have no consequence (although that would be true of most games).

These days I even wonder what a role-playing game should be; I begin to wonder if first-person shooters that give me multiple ways of completing an objective - thereby giving me a role to play and proceed how I see fit - are more RPGs than some of the FF games.

Oh, and Suikoden II was classy.

From the last time I argued with him about Xenogears, I think that is the whole reason he enjoys it.

Really, Ed. You surprise me.

Remember- a simple story well told always beats out a convoluted messy story told amateurishly.

Square just LOVE messy stories and amateurish storytelling.

R.

1) And whats wrong with being complex for the sake of it?

2) Surely this plays a large portion of most RPGs gameplay?

1) lol, everything. It leads to graceless, convoluted, needlessly unfun fluff that has no real connection to the game.

2) And a damned shame, that.

It seems to me that FF games these days are really adventure games with some additional polish. After all, the story is linear and you can only get to the end in one way, which is mapped out for you, and ultimately your actions have no consequence (although that would be true of most games).

These days I even wonder what a role-playing game should be; I begin to wonder if first-person shooters that give me multiple ways of completing an objective - thereby giving me a role to play and proceed how I see fit - are more RPGs than some of the FF games.

I quite agree with these two paragraphs.

Anyway play Suikoden 2 - its the best of the series

I had a friend who spent something crazy like 200 hours on that. I wanted to buy it from him a year ago (because he'd gone off gaming) but he'd got rid of it already.

After reading this thread I think I will try out Suikoden 3, which I bought but never knew whether I'd play it. I haven't played the first two, but by the sound of it it's more efficient just to jump in with 3 and admit that the time has passed for retreading (for the first time?!?) that PS1 Suikoden ground.

In general, the problem with RPGs is that there's so much cross over with types of experience they offer that you end up playing a few and getting very intolerant of others after that because too many elements are boring now. I think that's why lots of people rate FFVII so highly - they had never seen anything like it before. Now, several RPGs later they're dissing FFX and many others yet I know lots of gamers that have started RPGing with FFX and keep telling me I should play it. It's quite hard to explain to them that to me it's not fun because I've completed more than a dozen RPGs and just can't find anything compelling in FFX.

I don't know. A friend of mine is a very avid gamer and has gone through an unimaginable quantity of rpgs (console + pc) and he really likes FFX. He generally likes Square's games at least enough to play them. Though he ranted for two hours about how Crystal Chronicles blew. We were drinking in this seedy little bar and he was yelling about how much it sucked. That was a good time.

Haha!

You may well be right. I have a friend who is mental about RPGs. He must have completed almost a hundred and keeps going at them - I know it's not an RPG, but he completed the Wind Waker in 24 hours after buying the game on release day. The thing is, he's not typical of most gamers, he's just an RPG nutter who is quite quite insane. There's a Squaresoft fanboy loose in this thread too, I don't believe they're typical of most gamers.