IGNORED

going backwards looking forward

Andy_Tanner

the backwards compatibility issue often leads to 50/50 debates about, yeah it's important, who cares etc but i got thinking about how Sonys next gen hardware might manifest itself. as far as i'm aware there is no harddrive but i could be wrong. whatever it's pretty much certain that you'll be able to get one as part of an online pack.

now imagine if you could download old PSone classics to the HD, deleted titles etc for a reasonable price. as BB speeds increase this process will get much simpler leading to PStwo titles being downloadable too. that's a good ten years catalogue all on the one console, menu selectable etc, maybe even with added online muliplayer features (ok maybe not but who knows). sounds pretty good to me.

iGames store?

Yeah, I could groove to that. I'd also be interested in smaller downloadable games - funky little games that aren't deemed 'mainstream' enough to be given a 'proper release. The X-Box arcade thing quite appeals to me for that very reason. With any luck they'll pack it full of weird little one-trick ponies that provide little bursts of fun.

I'm pretty sure some kind of online game store will be part of console gaming culture over the coming generations, and yeah, I'm sure they'll throw in their back catalogues at reasonable prices as well (ever hopeful).

Id like that, 5 pounds per game with them ALL being downloadable, a huge back catalogue. It'd also send actual game prices plummiting on ebay too.

Backward compatability isnt a huge thing for a console, for example, everyone who will buy it for backwards compatability, will already own a ps2. But i do like this idea!

Id like that, 5 pounds per game with them ALL being downloadable, a huge back catalogue. It'd also send actual game prices plummiting on ebay too.

Backward compatability isnt a huge thing for a console, for example, everyone who will buy it for backwards compatability, will already own a ps2. But i do like this idea!

Yeah but there's only so much room under the telly right?

Backwards compatability means you can sell to upgrade and stops your living room turning into a retro Dixons showroom

Sounds like the same dream Trip Hawkins had for 3DO. Why cant they make a wireless console? It would make it a much easier sell to the missus.

At work our mainframe system has been bolted onto centrally for nigh on fifteen years, every new application sees another bit added to the central hub (somewhere). Couldnt they just sell us a console that retrieves software from some giant server that holds all the technology? You can still watch the matrix on a nineteen seventies black and white portable, the result isnt nearly as stunning of course, but you dont totally miss out if you dont upgrade. try playing pong on the X Box (without emulators)

Sounds great, we just have to hope that the hardware is up to the job...

The old argument used to be that if you were basing the new hardware on the old hardware (a la PS1 -> PS2) then it would restrict the new hardware in some way, as it would need to share architectural features in order to emulate the old hardware to any decent level.

However, something like the Xbox shows that its quite possible to emulate previous generation hardware without sharing any sort of architectural similarities. The question is simply whether the PS3 (for instance) will be powerful enough to emulate PS2 games (PS1 games are a given, I feel) without severely restricting itself in the design department.

The Xbox had a sufficient technological lead over the PS1 that meant it simply had the brute power to emulate it (to a reasonable extent). The PS3 designers have 3 options as far as I can tell:

1) Base the PS3 around PS2 (and thus PS1?) architecture - this would probably limit its performance quite severely, which isn't something they are likely to want after the uber-early launch that the PS2 had compared to the Xbox and GC.

2) Make the PS3 so powerful that it could emulate the PS2 in software - pretty pricey, I'd imagine, although the PS2 is relatively old now, so who knows.

3) Give up on the whole backwards compatibility thing, which, let be honest, has to happen at some point.

It'll be very interesting to see what they decide, thats for sure...

Yeah but there's only so much room under the telly right?

Tell me about it. My one year old daughter's figured out the eject buttons on my xbox and ps2 ;) I need to shove them all the way to the back of the TV unit to keep them out of harm's way. Backwards compatabilty means better hardware damage limitation to me.