I, Robot

Phelan

I have and I do.

It's brilliant. Ok it's not the book but it's still a great movie, fun to watch and a great film from beginning to end.

The script is well thought out and the storyline plays out well on screen. No complaints from any of the acting, including the robots and it's a good summer action blockbuster.

It has action, some thinking involved and a great heap of Will Smith looking cool as. It's basically fun, fun, fun with a tad too much product placement dropped in.

Can anyone say Converse or Audi??

But what it is, is a cool future landscape, a nice twisting but not taxing in the least storyline and some good acting from everyone involved - but most of all to the main robot character who is, well pretty ace. I reckon that all of you going along to see a fun filled entertaining movie will love it, but those expecting anything of Asimovs rather than the three robot laws to be slightly disappointed.

Best movie I've seen this year and that includes Spiderman 2.

I was feeling quite sceptical of this film but I was also thinking, “If I switch my brain off I might enjoy it”. Then I saw a trailer that confounded my belief that it’s all just a bit of fun.

Now with that recommendation I think I’ll check it out.

I do hate Will Smith though.

Why didnt they call it something else?

I mean people will be inspired to purchase the book, and be disappointed it doesnt feature gun-toting super-robots. That whirring noise is Asimov spinning in his grave.

Can we not compare a big-budget film to a book by a shitty (and I mean SHITTY) author, please? It's kinda like comparing Spider-man 2 the game to Spider-man 2 the film in terms of enjoyment; Kinda unfair.

This film has Will Smith in, right? I'm gonna love it regardless, he da man.

Why didnt they call it something else?

I mean people will be inspired to purchase the book, and be disappointed it doesnt feature gun-toting super-robots. That whirring noise is Asimov spinning in his grave.

Yeah, but they did a faithful remake of the Bicentennial Man and look how shit that turned out.

There's something incredibly dry about Asimov and Clarke etc's writing. It's all ideas and intellectualism. Much though I like some of it, it is hard to see how some of it would be put on screen and remain interesting. 2001 is probably the closest, and I bet at least half the forum hates that for being too boring, not enough explosions, breasts, and way too 'poncy'.

There's something incredibly dry about Asimov and Clarke etc's writing. It's all ideas and intellectualism. Much though I like some of it, it is hard to see how some of it would be put on screen and remain interesting. 2001 is probably the closest, and I bet at least half the forum hates that for being too boring, not enough explosions, breasts, and way too 'poncy'.

God, if only at least half of us weren't all so damned stupid.

Push ctrl, alt, del!

I saw the trailer for this and it does look wonderful and the robots seem to have a lot of weight to them, sometimes too much, especially the bit in the trailer where he cracks the pavement. Not too keen on the faces of the robots, not human, not a screen, kind of like a liquid but im looking forward to its release!

i heard he shows his cock in it. Only the european version of the film though.

The USA version had it censored.

they've given the robots cocks?

I wanted to like this film, but just couldn't.

I love the 'leave-your-brain-at-the-door' summer action blockbuster, but this left me cold.

It had a lazy script, with each character almost a token inclusion in order to flesh out the whole affair.

** 'Spoliers' **

Will Smith - Cop who lives alone, with a failed marriage behind him. Hates technology and robots in general. This laboured point is reinforced again and again, until I was left shouting, "We know that he fucking hates robots!" at the screen.

Love Interest - Typical (modern) female lead - she knows the company and all about the robots, hence providing Will Smith's character with information at the right moments and us with some totty to look at.

Lead Character's Humanity Justifier - His Gran. Smith visits her to see if she's okay and whatnot. Then eats some pie that she makes. A character who's solely present to illustrate to us that Will Smith's character has a caring side. Yawn...

Lead Character's 'Buddy' - Fat guy out of Gone in Sixty Seconds. This man is Smith's boss, but also his 'pal'. We see them have heated conversations about the threat of the robots, but we also see them enjoying a beer. Aww.

Smith's character is also haunted by a flashback, that we see in brief snippets and later in full. This flashback turns out to be a moment when Smith is in a car accident with another car. Both cars end up sinking in a lake. A robot appears and smashes Smith's window and attempts to save him. Smith realises that the other car involved in the collision has a little girl trapped inside and orders the robot to rescue her instead. Because the robot has calculated that the chance of saving Smith is greater than saving the girl, it ignores his order, leaving Smith with his robot-hating tendancies.

All of the above is fine really for a no-brainer - all the boxes have been ticked for your typical blockbuster and that leaves the action and special effects to steal the show.

The robots themselves look all right, but they move with a level of unrealistic athleticism. We see robots fighting each other later in the film. I suppose if robots were slugging it out, the combat would be functional. Here, it's Matrix style with flips and back kicks and all that jazz and this contributed to a general 'me too!' feel with the set-pieces. We even get some completely OTT Bullet Time stuff going on.

The (main robot) character of Sonny is very good however - I found 'him' to be likeable. I think they nailed the character here. He comes across as very curious and wide-eyed. This was pretty much the only redeeming feature for me.

Didn't mean to write a mini-review - I just typed a load of babble there! ;)

This film is just utter, utter trash.

I, Robot =

_1816747_smith150.jpg

+ contrived 'Robot Hater' backstory

+ stupefyingly juvenile script

+ plot twists spoon fed and signposted to death

* wholesale slaughter of Asimov's story

A.I. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I, Robot

I Robot delivers more than most of the so called blockbusters have this year. The robot animation is superb and you get plenty of action for your £6. As for hating Will Smith that's just jealousy.

He could be voted first black president tomorrow. He's the most successful rap artist ever. He gets mega million paychecks for his films. He is funny. He's married to Jada but Halle would have his babies.

Will Smith rules and I Robot is an entertaining film.

I love the 'leave-your-brain-at-the-door' summer action blockbuster, but this left me cold.

I'd love to know how people manage this feat? I think it is a load of hackneyed bollocks talking and in fact means that the person involved simply loves that type of film as they do not have a critical eye and generally accept most tish and pish (or at least not be able to identify why they like such tish and pish) no matter how unsophisticated

I haven't seen this, but I find the conceit of the film quite disturbing. From what I see, it seems to be "man has irrational hatred of seemingly peaceful beings, man turns out to have been right all along!".

You know, films are often unconcious allegories (for instance look at all the "Aliens attack!" films of the cold-war 50s), and if we apply this to current politics, it's kind of worrying.