IGNORED

I, Robot

Phelan

I'd love to know how people manage this feat? I think it is a load of hackneyed bollocks talking and in fact means that the person involved simply loves that type of film as they do not have a critical eye and generally accept most tish and pish (or at least not be able to identify why they like such tish and pish) no matter how unsophisticated

If you really believe that someone who likes a no-brainer action film or special effects-laden spectacle is automatically unsophisticated or lacks a critical eye then I put it to you that you must be incapable of this 'feat' - of being able to bring your brain down a couple of gears for an hour or two.

These films are (mostly) fun - you can get good and bad 'tish and pish'; the key is whether the film takes itself seriously or not. You can forgive a film almost anything if the action and set-pieces are up to scratch because, ultimately, that's what draws the crowds.

When you see a trailer for this sort of film, you don't think things to yourself such as, "Wow, that line was delivered with an unrivalled degree of prose!", you say, "Wow, I liked the bit where there were psychotic robots swarming over his car! I think I'll check this film out."

Take Spiderman 2 - this is the good kind of brainless spectacle. It's an absolutely ridiculous film; it possesses a far less credible plot than I Robot but is still the better film, hands-down. Why? Because it doesn't take itself near enough as seriously and the set-pieces and action (and effects) are far more thoughtful and accomplished than the stuff we see in I Robot.

I hate chart music, but I don't look down on those who do as being unsophisticated or lacking a critical ear, because I have learned to appreciate that some people just want to have fun with a certain medium. I watch Top of the Pops for a laugh because I don't take the content seriously at all. It's just a bit of fun - not everything in life has to be intellectually stimulating. :)

If you really believe that someone who likes a no-brainer action film or special effects-laden spectacle is automatically unsophisticated or lacks a critical eye then I put it to you that you must be incapable of this 'feat' - of being able to bring your brain down a couple of gears for an hour or two.

These films are (mostly) fun - you can get good and bad 'tish and pish'; the key is whether the film takes itself seriously or not. You can forgive a film almost anything if the action and set-pieces are up to scratch because, ultimately, that's what draws the crowds.

When you see a trailer for this sort of film, you don't think things to yourself such as, "Wow, that line was delivered with an unrivalled degree of prose!", you say, "Wow, I liked the bit where there were psychotic robots swarming over his car! I think I'll check this film out."

Take Spiderman 2 - this is the good kind of brainless spectacle. It's an absolutely ridiculous film; it possesses a far less credible plot than I Robot but is still the better film, hands-down. Why? Because it doesn't take itself near enough as seriously and the set-pieces and action (and effects) are far more thoughtful and accomplished than the stuff we see in I Robot.

I hate chart music, but I don't look down on those who do as being unsophisticated or lacking a critical ear, because I have learned to appreciate that some people just want to have fun with a certain medium. I watch Top of the Pops for a laugh because I don't take the content seriously at all. It's just a bit of fun - not everything in life has to be intellectually stimulating. :)

(or at least not be able to identify why they like such tish and pish)

you either like a film or you don't. If you like it you will be able to identify why -

Take Spiderman 2 - this is the good kind of brainless spectacle.  It's an absolutely ridiculous film; it possesses a far less credible plot than I Robot but is still the better film, hands-down.  Why?  Because it doesn't take itself near enough as seriously and the set-pieces and action (and effects) are far more thoughtful and accomplished than the stuff we see in I Robot.

what you do here is a good example of this. It would suggest that you still have standards, despite what you see as a similar 'no brainer' billing.

I generally like shallow, summer blockbusters, primarily for the reasons I went into in my last post.

You'll also find a similar theme running through my original comments regarding I Robot.

I must admit that I've now lost your point somewhat. Are you saying that the fact I can distinguish why I may like one 'no brainer' over another means that I haven't left my brain at the door? :):)

More importantly, does it even matter? :P

I haven't seen this, but I find the conceit of the film quite disturbing. From what I see, it seems to be "man has irrational hatred of seemingly peaceful beings, man turns out to have been right all along!".

That's exactly what happens. And coupled with the contrived reason (read: hack writers attempting to inject empathy) for the Fresh Prince hating robots...

Spoiler:

He spends the movie acting like they killed his entire family when in actual fact he hates them because one made a choice to save him (of all things) over someone else - an error in judgement that humans are very capable, have done many times before and will continue to do.

...it makes the whole film whiff of shyte. Frankly.

The (main robot) character of Sonny is very good however - I found 'him' to be likeable. I think they nailed the character here. He comes across as very curious and wide-eyed. This was pretty much the only redeeming feature for me.

the only good thing in the entire farce. A repellant movie that would have been well advised to cast an actor in the lead.

Really enjoyed it. Thought the robot effects where great, loved Bridget Moynahan and thought Will Smith was fine.

I wasn't that impressed with Spiderman 2 but thought this was a great movie. It's been a good movie day, Bourne Supremacy this AM and I, Robot this afternoon.

Just came back from seeing this, and really enjoyed it. Whilst I've no doubt it's only skimming along the top of the intellectual fuel behind Asimov's original novels, as far as big action block busters go, I thought the plot, and the ultimate reason for the machines turning against mankind was very neatly told. The set pieces such as the highway chase, and in-particular the final battle were all quite spectacular. The fights between Sonny and the other robots matched anything I've seen in any of the Terminator films, whilst the general quality of the robotic animation was far in advance of most other CGI I've seen.

Will's character was a bit of a mixed bag, but ultimately I thought his demons were as valid and far less predictable than most characters of his sort.

Overall I'd rate this as the best of the currently released summer blockbusters, even if the links to Asimov's novels are so tenuous as to almost prove redundant.

Why can't they make a blockbuster with a good script for a change?

The representation of the future is nice

Will Smith's character is shite (though his acting isn't bad considering)

Generally very good SFX

Utterly cheesy beyond belief in places (check out the handshake)

Vast majority of jokes are only funny if you're a moron

Very very cool robot facial expressions

No time for a sex scene so you get shower scenes of both leads (sigh)

Ending isn't all that guessable

Annoying peripheral character

Stereotypical police boss

JVC, Audi and Converse can fuck off

etc.

It had its pros and cons, but I came away happy.

Just funny when you think (from a 3d animators mind), that they only had to model the robots a few times and make multiple copies. Damn good robot animation that never seemed to faulter

Its not really a film I'd like to see again - like most films over the last few years

damn that lead girls got good posture <_<

I just want to see Will Smith blow the shit out of CGI robots. That's what I'm expecting, so I'll probably won't be disappointed.

You certainly won't be disappointed if you are after that!

I just saw this and was more impressed with it than I was expecting, especially after reading the comments on here. I thought it would be a standard, straight-forward actioner, but there are some interesting ideas about the Three Laws in the film that actually have been touched upon in Asimov's books; the interpretation of the Three Laws (how VIKI interpreted harm to humans as harm to humanity itself), for example.

I thought the character of Sonny, both in the acting and CGI performance was very well done. The subtle facial gestures and eye movements were very impressive.

I was a little disappointed with Susan Calvin's character; no fault of Bridget Moynahan's though, but I always pictured her as being a lot older from the books.

Overall, I'd give this film 7 'G's.

CJ

I came, I saw, I liked. Lots.

The plot was pretty credible and the future does indeed look lush. Will Smith pulls off a great performance and Sonny too. Although there was some rather dubious product placement, this is quickly dealt with - and I forgive all those Audi logos on the Audi RSQ, because, well - it looks ace. Nice idea to have spheres instead of tyres too.

Overall, I was surprised, although not really - Mr Proyas is responsible for the rather groovy Dark City and (forget the terrible sequels) The Crow. I notice they've now got a new camera technique - Dizzy-cam. *motion sickness*

Saw this earlier tonight and found it really quite enjoyable.

Yes, it was heavily cliched, particualry in reagrad to characterisation but it did a good job at being an entertaining popcorn movie that managed to raise a few good questions about what it is to be human, slavery, class systems, racism and free will.

My only gripe with the film is that I thibnk they should of dropped the title, I, Robot. Not because I think it's a travesty to Asimov more that certain people (namely Asimov fans) will not be able to see past this and keep banging on about how it's different to the books. By all means keep the 3 laws and the Asimov inspiration (or 'suggestion' as it was stated in the creditd) but drop the title so people won't get so hung up on the changes.

Besides much of Asimov's work ahs been done to death anyway in other movies - they had to do something different.

Piece of fucking shit forum losing my post! :P

Anyway, saw this on Saturday. Excellent stuff all round. Great FX, set pieces, story etc etc. Loved it. Alex Proyas directs another stormer (after The Crow and Dark City). I would highly recommend this. One of the best Sci-fi films I've seen in ages.

Well, I thought it was very, very good.

Slightly predictable in places, (I mean, who honestly thought she had killed Sonny?) and the product placement got right on my tits. "Converse Classics, 2004 edition". Jesus christ. Why don't you just tell us how much they cost and where we can buy them form?

But other than that, I nejoyed it a lot more than I was expecting, especially after some of the dodgy reviews I'd read.

I intentionally avoided all reviews/information on this film and even had to constantly tell my friends to shut up as they felt it necessary to give me an overview of the trailer on the way to the cinema so that I could experience it afresh with no preconceptions.

I really enjoyed the film <_< it does have its faults like the first time sonny busts outside the building there's a Trinity-matrix-bullett-time shot that I hated. I like to get immersed in a film and don't like being reminded that I'm watching a film, whilst watching a film.

The 360 degree shots with the camera whirling around were good but slightly overused, they are disorientating which works well in the heat of battle but just gratuitous when used more than once in sequence.

The complete dumbing down shot when Will's character finds the reference footage with the bridge in and they felt the need to pull up a scan of Sonny's drawing next to it so you link the two locations in your mind, it was so fucking obvious and the scenes were right next to each other I mean come on(which is a shame cos I loved the way Sonny busted out that sketch).

Other than those niggles it was good.

Light entertainment.

Smith - typical role these days, but suits it. The obvious/annoying advertising, the average special effects and the ropey plot aside - it really wasn't that bad.

A few great scenes. In particular, finding the 1001st robot.

It had the typical cop cliches, and over the top scenes. The story, background and whole theory was totally unbelievable. From the moment it shows Chicago just 30 years in the future I knew I would be laughing at the whole idea. "Twist" was pretty poor, too.

But still, light entertainment. I liked certain parts of it. And I'm glad I saw it.

I'll tell you what I did like:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

When you first see Smith's arm is metal and you think he's a robot. You're thinking "eh up, bit of a twist". But it's just a teaser. Gutted!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Nice little film - far, far better than I ever thought it would be.

Although it did seem slighly odd that humans had this unshakeable faith in the infallibility of robots, yet their creator was touring the country giving televised lectures about how they would soon be thinking for themselves... :angry:

Also (and its very embarrasing to not 'get' something in a film like this!) what was the ending all about? *spoiler* Did Sunny just go off to get shut in a box with the rest of them? Why was he there rather than Will Smith - his picture/dream was wrong! */spoiler*

I'll tell you what I did like:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

When you first see Smith's arm is metal and you think he's a robot. You're thinking "eh up, bit of a twist". But it's just a teaser. Gutted!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Well, I didn't. Kind of made sense from the way he was waking up in the morning and fussing over his left arm. I knew he was a cyborg, and made the whole thing much cooler because he got closer to the bloke who "commited suicide".