IGNORED

eBay and GBA Piracy

therealjohnpeat

Was looking for a copy of Mario&Luigi for a friend (who keeps borrowing mine) and I just cannot [meldrew]BELIEVE[/meldrew] the amount of pirated GBA games on there...

Some are VERY obvious (Seller in China or HK) but there are an ever-increasing number of UK-based sellers where they are offering multiple auctions which are 'cartridge only' - which is one way of making the pirate harder to spot I'd imagine (pirated boxes and instructions being pretty easy to spot).

Most out-of-hand is this auction tho - his admission that there is no Wireless Linker is pretty-much an admission it's pirated cart and yet LOOK AT THAT PRICE!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...8119116525&rd=1

:ph34r::unsure::blink:;);)

Actually - here's a competition to pass some time - find a legit GBA game on eBay ;)

JP

I totally agree with you. I have ranted many times on other forums about this as it really gets my goat. I hav e-mailed ebay about it in the past. At least 80% of GBA games sold on ebay now are fakes.

I am so annoyed I think I'm gonna e-mail nintendo of europe and ask their opinion.

By the way I did sucessfully buy a second hand legit PAL copy of Mario and Luigi for £12 but it is a minefield.

I totally agree with you. I have ranted many times on other forums about this as it really gets my goat. I hav e-mailed ebay about it in the past. At least 80% of GBA games sold on ebay now are fakes.

I am so annoyed I think I'm gonna e-mail nintendo of europe and ask their opinion.

By the way I did sucessfully buy a second hand legit PAL copy of Mario and Luigi for £12 but it is a minefield.

email nintendo.

they'll fuck ebay over in no time.

Phelan, have you had a humour bypass lately, or what? He's just providing some of this trademark punditry, and observing that Nintendo seem to be diverting precious non-shit-game-creating resources into their antagonise-gamers-and-make-them-hate-us division.

Phelan, have you had a humour bypass lately, or what? He's just providing some of this trademark punditry, and observing that Nintendo seem to be diverting precious non-shit-game-creating resources into their antagonise-gamers-and-make-them-hate-us division.

Didn't look that way to me. Looked like he was asking them to make good games - which could start the usual flamewars. Which I'm nipping in the bud.

My son recently bought Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire from eBay. The cartridge says "Nlntondo" on the back, the packaging was flat-packed, ie die-cut but not assembled, there was no manual, and the game itself boots with a crack-crew intro and greetz before the game. Is it counterfeit, do you think? :angry:

My son recently bought Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire from eBay. The cartridge says "Nlntondo" on the back, the packaging was flat-packed, ie die-cut but not assembled, there was no manual, and the game itself boots with a crack-crew intro and greetz before the game. Is it counterfeit, do you think? :D

The really funny part is that a lot of the early Pokemon pirates (GBC days) didn't even have a battery-backup which meant you couldn't SAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JP

I've only bought one GBA game on eBay, and naturally it was fake. However, I did send a pretty angry mail to the seller stating that he must've mistakenly sent me a counterfeit copy, detailing everything that gave it away.

He returned my money within a day.

I suppose if you can prove it, eBay might help you, however I'm pretty sure that most sellers will also return your money as long as you don't give them negative feedback in the first place. After all, as long as you keep quiet they stay in business.

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but as long as it comes down to getting your money back I think talking to the seller is a better idea.

Did you leave negative feedback? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

I was also annoyed when the obviously fake cartridge turned up, but my son wasn't bothered. He did, after all, get the game for £8. I debated whether to leave positive or negative feedback, and in the end settled for leaving positive feedback but emailed the seller, saying he was *this* close (holds finger and thumb together) to receiving negative feedback and an official complaint. He was very apologetic and offered a refund, but my lad decided to keep the game.

A fair-number of people wouldn't even realise a item was fake - a lot of people are buying for their kids and so long as the kid is happy - they are happy...

Other people will view it as an easy way of getting cheap games and so not even care - I just wandered through the feedback for a few of the bigger sellers (turnover in £1000s per week) and there are odd comments about knock-offs or counterfeits but they're usually still positive or neutral comments at best - I found only 1 BIG RED NEG and the seller had replied to accuse the Buyer of non-payment (surprise surprise).

JP

I got a pirated Harvest Moon off Ebay. Annoyed the shit out of me. Negative feedback, complaint to Ebay, complaint(s) to seller, dobbed him in to ELSPA. Doubt they did anything though. Fuck them. I paid for a real version, not a poor copy.

I got my money back though. And I didn't really care to send him back the game. Fucker.

Basic rules:

if it's far from the far east or

if it comes with flat pacjked box or

if it has "cut down" instruction booklet or

if they say "this game is for collectors"

then it's a fake. Also, make a point of emailing them first and ask if it's genuine.

The worst of it is the batteries are shite in the fakes.Metroid fusion around 80% complete one day, completely fecked the next.

Dont start me on yoshis island, the batteries are just dead. :D

Retailers only for GBA games since.

There is a BIG difference between selling fakes on eBay and buying a Flash Cart.

The former is profiteering from someone else's work - the latter is nicking it for your own benefit...

OK - the flash cart makers/sellers are profiteering of course - but my gripe is that eBay, who frequently delete auctions for LEGAL Jap games - are allowing blatant MASS sale of obviously illegal goods...

JP

I do think there is a fine line with this.

If you are aware that what you are buying is a fake and you know this before bidding then more fool you. It's still bad but at least you know.

If you think you are buying a genuine copy and don't get it then the seller should face the full force of the law.