IGNORED

I don't think I could use a

Phelan

I was thinking about Sensi and all that kind of stuff the other day and realised that my comp pro was the best thing ever, but thanks to consoles I don't know if I could still use a joystick to actually play games.

Having the twin sticks makes everything so much easier .. any of you still using your old joysticks and how does it feel?

No rude comments please.

in all honestly i have never really liked joysticks. I rememeber i ended up buying a megadrive pad to use on my amiga because it was so much better.

Thats the problem with my arcade cab - obviously it uses sticks and im not keen on them, sometimes i just want to plug a pad in and use that!!

I dunno - I've just got my first ever DC Stick and it's proving interesting. It's like i'm having to relearn how to play a load of games. Silent Scope (for example) just doesn't have the precision needed when you've got the stick going on - a pad seems to be the way to go...

Totally. But I remember when the first Nintys and megadrives started knocking around, there I was, clutching my Quickshot 2 and thinking..'No, these game pad things'll never last..'

Still can't beat a mouse and keys though....

I always hated joysticks, and would play computer games on keyboard wherever possible. Not so good on the C64 as the keyboard was so bad, but the Spectrum keyboard was miles better than any Spectrum joystick.

I think part of the success of the NES, and one of the ways that Nintendo reinvented the video games world, was to invent the 'controller' which was the best of both worlds - it was on a wire in fit in your hand like a joystick, but you actually controlled movement with buttons not a stick, and the buttons (cross keys / D pad) were actually very similar to Spectrum keyboard buttons.

Because my main introduction to gaming was with the Speccy, I always found it easier to use the keyboard to start with. I used to curse Amiga games for not offering keyboard control ;)

I have, however, attempted to play shmups in MAME using the keyboard, and I just can't do it anymore.

Agree strongly Ste. O, P, Q, A, Space is where it's at.

M instead of Space, surely, if we're talking about the rubber-keyed Speccy. I always thought the original Spectrum keyboard got a lot of flack, and I agree it wasn't great for typing, but it was perfect for games.

would? :lol: I used to use QWERTY all the time in the speccy days and use SPACE if there was another use like map or extra firebutton. Oh I sometimes used QA,OP and SPACE or M but always went back to QWERTY/or SPACE.

I definately agree about Joysticks tho - me and a few friends 'did' an Amiga meet a while ago and that Zip-stik was not how I remember it. Battle Squadron was good with it but other games.. yikes! Very mad to use.

I've been on an arcade stick buying binge, after not using a stick since the days of my Comp Pros and Zipsticks. I'm finding them much better than a dpad for some fast action games like shooters. But I might be just trying to justify my spending and the waste of space to myself

would? :lol: I used to use QWERTY all the time in the speccy days and use SPACE if there was another use like map or extra firebutton. Oh I sometimes used QA,OP and SPACE or M but always went back to QWERTY/or SPACE.

But...they're all in a row! So you'd have the keys for up and down next to each other, i.e. side by side.

You must have a "special" brain to be able to cope with that.

Ahhhhh Nev, you and QWERTY, yes I remember those days you knelt, hunched over the rubber.....keyboard ;)

I found them awful as hell to use, but no more so than the interface and cursor keyboard variants, QAOPM are the way to go....4 EVAR

WORD!

:lol:

The only issue I now have with using a joystick is the pushing up to jump (as the button is already used for a weapon). When playing 'Gods' fairly recently, I had to switch it off for fear of smashing the joystick through the telly due to the rubbishness of the pushing up to jump.

It's astonishingly dreadful, isn't it? On emu, I just remap a spare button to be "jump".

It's astonishingly dreadful, isn't it? On emu, I just remap a spare button to be "jump".

That was always my pet hate in the 8/16 bit computer days.

In the end I bought a SNES style pad that had two buttons mapped to up and down. It made Mayhem in Monsyerland a joy I can tell you....shame it came along so late in the era...

Agree strongly Ste. O, P, Q, A, Space is where it's at.

Nah ! I would go for QWERT ever time !

I would could happily use a joystick again as long as it's firmly anchored, preferably in an arcade cab.

I dont think i could go back to a keyboard again though.

QWERT !?

No wonder why some developers don't bother to add customisable controls now ... :lol: If someone can play with qwert, he can play with any setup

Another vote for o,p,q,a,space. Even cursor keys (lovely amstrad) and space, but qwert?

Oh, God, it's the keyboard configuration topic back from the dead again.

Uncle C-, I mean, Venice'll be in here like a shot, y'know.

Anyway, real retro-heads have to put up with 5,6,7,8 and 0 . . .

QWERT !?

No wonder why some developers don't bother to add customisable controls now ... :lol: If someone can play with qwert, he can play with any setup

Another vote for o,p,q,a,space. Even cursor keys (lovely amstrad) and space, but qwert?

Well my fingers were a lot smaller then.

but the great thing about qwert was it was the same as 12345 for games with a sinclair interface option. which ment you could use it for just about all games.