Shoot-me-do's

plasticcoated

Chip and go Graidus V and ESPdanny-la-rue.

Theres also masses of Jap Ps1 shuemps ....

Gradius Gaiden (Konami),

DoDonPachi series (continued on PS2),

Einhander (Sqauresoft),

G-Darius (Taito),

Metal Slug 1, 2 and X (SNK)

And the one everyone forgets (and a forerunner of Rez)....

Internal Section (Square)

Ive just finished a transaction on Silpheed on PS2...

Inspired by the Treasure feature in EDGE. That and the fact that regardless of its mixed reviews, when it got released I really fancied it but at the time didnt have my PS2 ( I sense a touch of ironry here - I really wanted to get the game when I didnt own a PS2 and in fact hated them as at the time I adored my Dreamcast, and now Ive actually bought the game, I no longer own my Dreamcast and my PS2 is waiting to be taken out to the barn to be put down its that shagged out *breathe*).

Plus Ive got a thing for 'shoe-mups' :ph34r: at the moment.

Plus Ive got a thing for 'shoe-mups'  <_< at the moment.

Me too. I've never really been a fan of them until the last couple of years. I got Bangai O for my DC and that kick started it. Since then I've got Ikaruga and last week I got Psyvariar. I also have PN03 and the style seems similar but it's not strictly a spaceship featring in the game.

Play it through RGB SCART and you should be fine (though I never had trouble with that level).

If he's referring to the factory level on revision, then I know exactly what he means - it's really rather difficult to see the enemies.

If he's referring to the factory level on revision, then I know exactly what he means - it's really rather difficult to see the enemies.

Its not the enemies thats the problem, its the enemy fire which is the same colour as the background which is the real kick to the bollocks.

Its not the enemies thats the problem, its the enemy fire which is the same colour as the background which is the real kick to the bollocks.

Weird. I never encountered that. Have you got the colour saturation settings on your TV maxed out by any chance?

hey. I got mobile light force 2 (the mingingly-repackaged shikigami no shiro 2) for TWO QUID preowned in Game.

Is Mobile Light Force 2 a repackaged Shikigami or Shikigami II? Ive got Shikigami II on Jap Import on GC, but from what Ive read, MLF seems a little different to waht I know of Shikigami II <_<

I've never really been much a vertical/side-scrolling shooter fan. Though I've only briefly played Bangai-O (DC) and Iridion II (GBA). I've went ahead and ordered the much acclaimed Ikaruga (a steal at £18 brand new NTSC GCN) though I hear it's rather demanding. Any tips for a schmup virgin of sorts?

I've never really been much a vertical/side-scrolling shooter fan. Though I've only briefly played Bangai-O (DC) and Iridion II (GBA). I've went ahead and ordered the much acclaimed Ikaruga (a steal at £18 brand new NTSC GCN) though I hear it's rather demanding. Any tips for a schmup virgin of sorts?

With Ikaruga theres 2 ways to play:

Shoot the fuck out of everything and try to survive, taking this mentality, it plays like any shooter.

Chain combos together, this method is demandingly tough, as not only do you have to survive,but you have to link 3 kills of the same coloured enemy together. This method pays off for massive points.

Guess it will probably be the first method until I find my feet though hopefully progessing to the second method. Definitely looks an intruiging game I just hope it doesn't turn out to be terribly difficult. If I like Ikaruga.. what next? Shikigami No Shiro?

I think i sold my copy of Silpheed. Only £5 too. I forget who to.

Its graphically detailed but rather boring. It has no intesity too it.

Agreed. It arrived this morning. Its fun and graphically I was quite surprised especially as for a vertical shooter theres no upside down letterbox, its full screen.

But as Afterbirth said, theres no intensity. When compared to Ikaruga or Psyvariar (or even R-Type) Silpheed is a gentle stroll down a country lane, where as Ika and Psy are cross country sprints, diving through hedgerows dodging rabid dogs whilst being shot at by Nazi bandits... in the nude.

No intensity.