IGNORED

A Final Fantasy newbie speaks

xibxang

But the problem was that you seemed to wade through cut-scene after cut-scene. In the end I didn't really give a damn about the characters, it just became a bit of a long slog.

I will concede that there was an over-abundance of cut-scenes in the game, but I loved the game world, and found myself becoming really attatched to the characters (although, admittedly not as much as in VII or VIII).

FF8 is indeed about the atmosphere, settings, and events, not the overall plot and characters, which are generally just really random and weird. The Laguna thing was clever, though, and ironically it was Laguna-and-posse's sequences which were the best story parts of it to me.

Re: FF6, no, I didn't get to the opera house. I didn't get very far at all, because I was playing it via emulation before I got my USB pad. Must revisit sometime.

7 has so many memorable bits and pieces its astounding...the funny bits like the honeybee inn (sheermadness!), the scary and emotional ones, the feeling of mastering a great piece of materia was amazing.

i esp loved it when i frst walked into the gold saucer. so much to do!!!

(btw i rinsed the snowboard game, in all three levels i got 100/100!)

FF VII is, without a doubt, one of my favourite games of all time. Everything just sort of works- it never seems overly tedious or anything. If you're enjoying the beginning, you'll *love* the rest. It's a game that just loves you back.

VIII gets close, but I never really got into it as much. It's still up there tho, that humourless turd Squall not withstanding.

I've only ever played VII and VIII, and I didn't finish either of them. I just got bored. The characters were bland, generic do-gooders, the stories were typical anime gibberish and the whole affair was just too linear to hold my interest. They felt like on-rails shooters with dialogue.

SeanR's? BBC 2 is was showing the really really old program about the influence of Japanese games on the world. It had a part about FF VIII, The Final Fantasy movie in production, Peter Molinyeux hyping Black and White and the person who created Republic: The Revolution hyping how revolutionary it will be. I think everyone on this forum has already seen it twice.

I tried getting into VII a couple of years back and think I got about 10 hours in, and that was it, I had no urge to carry on. Reading this makes me want to go and give it another go, but i'd much rather play through the likes of Skies and Tales now.

So I went out and picked this up for a Fiver from our local blockbuster again on Saturday. Quality title. I can't remember shit all about it as it is something like 7 years since I played it. Loving it again so far. Still technically excellent all round and love the muzak.

I have so many fond memories of this game. I love it - absolutely love it. It practically was my life for about a year whilst I played it and played it again, over and over (currently standing at 8 completed save files, acquiring everything). I would sit in my little darkened games room and play and play for hours and hours, becoming absolutely immersed in the atmosphere, engrossed in the storyline, dedicated to making my little warriors strong and powerful.

And that music... it hit a chord, seriously. To this day it still gives me shivers. The seemingly perfect way each tune fits the mood of the location, of the atmosphere. Remember when the *~*Shinra Building has been attacked by Jenova and it has that creepy slow music as you follow the trails of blood around the place?*~* Just magical.

And who can forget the *~*motorcycle escape sequence, or the bosses leading up to that bit... the takeover of Rufus, the journey onwards out into the world.*~*

And then there was the Gold Saucer... well I needn't say anymore about that. The crazy wacky story with that 5 years ago mystery. Really didn't see where that one was going!

Ahh, the battle music, the boss music!! And let's not forget the greatest villain of all time! And... and... materia!! How versatile and cool was that?! Intelligent growth system, lots of secret magic to find, items and stuff; all of it made sense in regards to the world itself.

Ahh, I must stop, or I'll end up wanting to play through it again!

Anyway, great game.

BBC 2 is was showing the really really old program about the influence of Japanese games on the world. It had a part about FF VIII, The Final Fantasy movie in production, Peter Molinyeux hyping Black and White and the person who created Republic: The Revolution hyping how revolutionary it will be.

Well, history surely bitchslapped that. The Final Fantasy movie was an artistic and financial disaster, B&W is now used to illustrate Peter Molyneux incompentence (although I don't agree) and the only revolutionary thing about Republic The Revolution is that it went budget within 2 months and still nobody wants to buy it.

I haven't finished it yet, unfortunately. I got hopelessly stuck on a (probably easy) boss. That one on the second disc that can pick up members of your party. But I loved the game up until then.

But I have to say that I, whisper it, prefer VIII. ;)

This is where I'm stuck too!

I remember being convinced to play it by a friend who has the PC version. I got a few hours in and thought "No sweat!" Then I stepped out on to the world map for the first time and couldn't believe how huge the game was!

I've got a lazy approach to the FF games though. I don't level up much and I get to a point where the bosses always overpower me. It's the same in FFX!

i'm so fond of VII it makes me sad - i'm playing FFX atm, and its just not even close. obviously the plot pushes the game along in VII, but even in the first few hours, in midgar, it still felt like you could wonder around and do things at your own pace. i've done nearly 20 hours in FFX now, and i dont think i've been able to make a single decision in terms of where to go/what to do, its VERY linear so far (i believe it opens up a bit soon though?).

I have all the music from VII on my winamp play list. I think about the game quite often - mostly when i play "Mediocre 2", and "Super Sub-Par"*.

*not real games

FF VII is also my favorite game ever, it just blew me away when it was released. I was a FF fan from the NES and SNES era when it was released on PSone and I recall me being a tad angry the Sony got the rights for the game rather than Square sticking with Nintendo. FF VII was the reason I bought the PSone in the first place and it was the only game I cared to play for weeks. I finished the game 3 times before I even tried another game for the console.

My memories of this game are somewhat spoiled by the fact that I had to play it through 4 or 5 times in a row. i was working for Sony at the time and had to write the walkthrough for the Powerline. I ended up giving away me free copy, still sealed, to my cousin, who imediately traded it in for FIFA 34 or similar. keep thinking about getting a new copy, but just can't quite bring myself to do it.

I have FF VII but I just cannot bring myself to play it. I know it is supposed to be very good but I am all Square'd out after hitting a brick wall in FF X after 45 hours and I just cannot go through that again, despite all the praise VII gets. I'm going to add it to me 'bought, will probably never play but won't sell either' pile along with Metroid Prime.