Edge 140

Tetchy

Er, what's on the cover.

I've found Ege's overall cover quality going down since one of their art guys (dunno which one that was) left some 6 months ago.

I agree, the PSX, XNA(specifically this one), and the Tekken5 covers are poor for Edge's standards, although I did at least get the black Tekken5 cover and not the god awful white one.

I mentioned to TM at the Bath meet that I'd thought the mag's art(not just covers, article graphics aswell) had taken a downturn in recent issues but then I just looked like an idiot cos I couldn't remember which issues I was referring to :unsure:

Except it doesn't actually say that, does it?

This is the difference between reading and interpreting, and it's why misinformation propagates on the internet.

Anyway, for non-subscribers, the on-sale date is August 5.

Replace "pastiche" with "nostalgic memories", then. The full sentence, as you probably know, is "an instantly nostalgic parade of Saturday morning cartoon moments".

I'm sorry if I mis-interpreted the sentence, I was just quickly answering a question and mixed it up a bit with some other game I was reading about. But still, why is the review so ambiguous? It doesn't read like an "average" game, with the only issue that of camera?

Note: I don't actually care that much about the game, I'm just curious. It's probably due to lack of space or something.

Riddick, a 7? Hmmm. Well, despite the almost universal acclaim that the game has received so far, I have yet to play the game so I cannot take issue with Edge....yet.

I believe that Riddick is still due to be released at the end of next week in the UK so it will be interesting to see what everybody here makes of the game after they've given it a good play.

It's a sim game. You run Oxford University's animal testing research laboratory. You have to sew up as many baby kittens' eyelids and electrocute as many monkey brains as you can, while evil protestors blow up the houses of your workers and send nasty letters to your bank threatening dire consequences. Occassionally you appear on the Today programme, to talk in faux serious tones about the importance of your work in preventing human misery, before getting drunk over lunch and going back to the office to sew ears onto mice or some other crazy shit. Edge says its rare that a game tries to wrestle with controversial real-life issues, and carries it off with such a lightness of touch and a sense of humour. Bit like Dungeon Keeper, apparently. PC only.

Acclaim?

I'm personally behind any game that casts you as a cook armed with a frying pan.

An Under Siege game! At last my prayers are answered...

undersiege25.jpg

Forget the pointless score debates, has Edge relented and finally devoted at least an Out There piece to Consolevania? Or are they still acting like whiney bitches because a set of 'amateurs' (in the sense games journalism is not their profession), have already produced something far superior to their rapidly deteriorating publication, and taken the piss out of their po-faced attittude in the process.

E-X

Forget the pointless score debates, has Edge relented and finally devoted at least an Out There piece to Consolevania? Or are they still acting like whiney bitches because a set of 'amateurs' (in the sense games journalism is not their profession), have already produced something far superior to their rapidly deteriorating publication, and taken the piss out of their po-faced attittude in the process.

E-X

well, you're not going to get in from the forum that way

You couldn't make it up!

I agree, the PSX, XNA(specifically this one), and the Tekken5 covers are poor for Edge's standards, although I did at least get the black Tekken5 cover and not the god awful white one.

That's all true (except I got the hairy white Tekken cover). Resi and Outrun covers were good, though.

the Riddick review is very poorly written. it's another classic case of an Edge review that concludes it's a good game even though the bulk of the appraisal indicates the opposite, or in this case is so vague it's hard to tell what they think.

I really enjoyed the review, it's got me interested in a game I had no interest in before. Seemed clear enough to me it's a very original game with very high production values which isn't particularly well paced - they littered the article with warnings but didn't hide their admiration of it.

I really enjoyed the review, it's got me interested in a game I had no interest in before. Seemed clear enough to me it's a very original game with very high production values which isn't particularly well paced - they littered the article with warnings but didn't hide their admiration of it.

i'm glad it got you interested, and i'm pleased it got 7 as it's a game i've been looking forward to, but i wanted to know more about why they didn't think the gunplay was that good, for example. i felt after the reading the review that i still knew nothing more about it than before i started.

i'm glad it got you interested, and i'm pleased it got 7 as it's a game i've been looking forward to, but i wanted to know more about why they didn't think the gunplay was that good, for example. i felt after the reading the review that i still knew nothing more about it than before i started.

.::: Sounds like a certain review involving a 'ring in space'...

Another game I bought on the strength of an Edge review, it was a classic.

.::: Agreed, but the review was like saying that they played with a ball, and because it was round it was worthy of the score. It certainly wasn't one of their classics. <_<

.::: Agreed, but the review was like saying that they played with a ball, and because it was round it was worthy of the score. It certainly wasn't one of their classics. <_<

Not to you maybe, but I guess it depends what you want from a review. The Halo review just sounded like an excited kid, and the enthusiasm was totally infectious. I don't want spoiler filled reviews, I'd rather have one that sells a game to me, however it's worded.

they still revealed some gameplay details in the Halo review afaik, whether you thought it was a good review depended on how much you trust Edge, i suppose but at least it was wholly postive. the Halo review gave you no reason to believe the game was anything less than incredible. Riddick on the other hand is vague, they talk about how more than half the entire game is pedestrian and boring yet round it up by saying it's hard not to like the game. why?

Riddick on the other hand is vague, they talk about how more than half the entire game is pedestrian and boring yet round it up by saying it's hard not to like the game. why?

I'm only a short way into Riddick, but thet sentence would sum up my feelings toward the game perfectly.