Has your tolerance lessened in recent years

Toops

do you think Advance Wars is too hard? i found it just right.

I just find it harder than Fire Emblem, and the rankings system brings out the obssessive compulsive in me - I find it difficult to play the next mission till I get an S-rank.

Recently I've played through Onimusha 3 without dying a single time, and I'm up to chapter 27 of Fire Emblem with all my characters intact and I've only had trouble with one mission. Personally I think these represent the optimum difficulty curve for my current tastes/situation. It wasn't like I didn't *nearly* die in Onimusha 3, and in any case both games provide a fun experience without dying - in Onimusha the combat and environments; in Fire Emblem the character development.

I just find it harder than Fire Emblem, and the rankings system brings out the obssessive compulsive in me - I find it difficult to play the next mission till I get an S-rank.

Recently I've played through Onimusha 3 without dying a single time, and I'm up to chapter 27 of Fire Emblem with all my characters intact and I've only had trouble with one mission. Personally I think these represent the optimum difficulty curve for my current tastes/situation. It wasn't like I didn't *nearly* die in Onimusha 3, and in any case both games provide a fun experience without dying - in Onimusha the combat and environments; in Fire Emblem the character development.

i know what you mean, but i was like that about Onimusha 3 too, although it was easy i wasn't satisfied until i'd completely understood and mastered the combat. sadly i think the game was a bit too easy. the block/parry/combo system wasn't very well exploited. an enjoyable title nonetheless.

i have just bought Fire Emblem this afternoon, so i'll be getting stuck into that. i really hope it's as good as people have made out.

My tolerance has dropped too. I used to persevere with games even if I wasn't enjoying it. There are just too many other demands on my time now. When I play a game, I want to enjoy it. Two recent games I have given up on are Ninja Gaiden (too hard) and Manhunt (tedious). Lots of people have told me they improve later on but life is too short. I could be playing Prince of Persia or PES or have a go on Live which are all FUN.

It's not to say I don't enjoy a challenge. I completed Halo on Legendary and enjoyed every second of it.

My tolerance has dropped too. I used to persevere with games even if I wasn't enjoying it. There are just too many other demands on my time now. When I play a game, I want to enjoy it. Two recent games I have given up on are Ninja Gaiden (too hard) and Manhunt (tedious). Lots of people have told me they improve later on but life is too short. I could be playing Prince of Persia or PES or have a go on Live which are all FUN.

It's not to say I don't enjoy a challenge. I completed Halo on Legendary and enjoyed every second of it.

I totally agree with you there. Even though I have not completed Halo on Legendary, I have done other things that may well be comparable - with Ikaruga I've clocked around 150 hours, something I am quite proud of.

Having said that, even though I haven't gotten anywhere near 30-odd million, the fact I understand the game's basic mechanisms is enough for me to warrant the game 'completed' as according to my personal threshold.

However there are some games that I find too difficult which then leads me to feel guilty because I didn't put 100% effort.

Toops

Two recent games I have given up on are Ninja Gaiden (too hard) and Manhunt (tedious). Lots of people have told me they improve later on but life is too short. I could be playing Prince of Persia or PES or have a go on Live which are all FUN.

i gave up on Ninja Gaiden, but not because of the difficulty but because i found it sterile and boring, and badly designed. like all Tecmo games it just feels like a very fancy tech demo.

Manhunt on the other hand is an absolute masterpiece imo. i must confess i enjoyed it right from the start but what people say is right, i gets better beyond belief to the point where, nearing it's conclusion, it becomes one the tensest and satisfying videogames i have ever experienced.

I played Chaos Engine with my mate on an Amiga emulator on his xbox (at Tom's place, thanks for that Jumble Jumble :) ) I was shocked at how many annoying little elements there are to it when all I remember is a great game that I loved.

The playfield is widescreen so, due to the viewing angle when you walk up or down there's hardly any room to see whats coming, couple that with teh fact that when you press fire your character stops walking that makes it damn hard to retreat from an enemy thats suddenly appeared and kill it, there were some dubious collision deaths but mainly it was that that made it so hard.

It was strangely compelling though, not massively hard, and who'd have thought that I'd be playing that game in 2004 where, on a widescreen tv you can just put it in zoom mode and it fills the screen perfectly, Bitmap Brothers : Ahead of their time.

My tolerance to hard games seems to change by the week, although I realised some time ago that I didn't have to complete a game to feel that I'd got my money's worth. For example PGR2 - I played it for hours until I got all gold medals, then found that I just couldn't progress any further, so I just stopped playing.

I had tried maybe half a dozen times to get a few platinum medals, but found I was getting more & more frustrated. It then became a chore, which gaming certainly shouldn't be, for me anyway. On occasions I'll consult gamefaqs to finish a game, but more often than not I'll move onto a new game.

What is strange though is that I thoroughly enjoyed Splinter Cell despite it getting on my nerves. I just had to finish it & once I did I felt quite pleased with myself. ;)

What I will say (puts bag over head so no-one knows it's me :) ) is that I like my games to be on the fairly easy side. I don't want to breeze through them, I just want to be able to beat it within a reasonable amount of time.

My tolerance has dropped like a stone. I get so little gaming time these days that when I do play I either want to just have a quick hour long blast of fun, or feel like I've achieved something.

Rallisport 2 is the only game I've played for any length recently. The Live XSN Sports tournaments allow me to perfect a track and really enjoy pushing that extra bit, and the one-player game is also rewarding.

I've started selling off all the old stuff having around that I've kept to "complete one day". There's no way I'll EVER have time to play through them all.

I'm finding that as I get older, I'm now able to finish games. I think it's mainly because when I was younger I had absolutely no patience (I'm 31 now) and my attention span was of a similar magnitude. These days I have a wife and a toddler and getting to sit down and have some personal time to play games is much less frequent.

I've just completed Ninja Gaiden and now I'm onto Final Fantasy VII and with both games I've found myself at work/in the supermarket/bathing my daughter and suddenly really looking forward to the end of the night when I can get to play them.

One thing that I've noticed as I've got older (I'm 24 now) is that I don't find the majority of the games I own quite as interesting as I used to, and I leave them after a few hours.

These days it's the likes of Ico, Project Zero, Ikaruga, Rez, PN03 etc. that get me interested in what games can offer, but having about 100+ games I just don't have time to finish them.

I did knuckle down earlier in the year though and got a few finished, which brings me on to another point, Max Payne 2on PC. It wasn't particularly hard or long and that allowed me to actually pay attention to what the game was offering me in terms of story, environment and playability. Definitely one of the best games ever IMHO.