IGNORED

Xbox Raven demo. I'm still waiting...

iamsimon

Just out of interest, just what has happened to Malice?. And weren't there plans to make the robot in the original picture into a game?. I remember seeing the tech demo for the PS2 featuring Gran Turismo and Tekken Tag, then, when the real things arrived, well, I was not all that impressed.

All three of these shots look *much* better than the first posted example.

/case

Once again, most impressive. But let's take a look at Hyabusa's arms and compare it with Raven's arms.

Surely you would have to admit that Raven's arms are far more smooth, realistic and better looking.

Just out of interest, just what has happened to Malice?.  And weren't there plans to make the robot in the original picture into a game?.  I remember seeing the tech demo for the PS2 featuring Gran Turismo and Tekken Tag, then, when the real things arrived, well, I was not all that impressed.

Sorry, I cannot remember much about Malice. But I do remember talk of the Robot and his companion becoming some kind of Xbox mascot/game. Perhaps they gave up on the idea when they found out how hard it would be to get the game to look as good as the demo.

Have you played the NTSC version?  Come back when you have.

I've had a brief experience with it, and there's not a massive difference to me. It is a bit faster (in a literal sense), but it still struggles and drops frames constantly. It's not enough to ruin anybody's enjoyment of it, but putting in a 'Smoothest Game Eva!!!" contest would be ill-advised. Not when there are a hell of a lot of gorgeous-looking games out there which run at a rock-solid 60fps (Ninja Gaiden, Rallisport Challenge) or a constant 30fps (PGR2, Amped 2).

Then you haven't played them both enough. The NTSC version is buggerloads smoother, pushes 60fps (this is a guess, I can't count frames) unless you go into crowded areas, where it can drop. The the fact is, it doesn't drop for a lot of it, and is really really smooth.

Whatever. I suppose if your eyes tell you that Halo was running at 60fps then I really should be envying you rather than getting into a scrap about something so inconsequential.

You think I'm wrong, I think your're wrong, let's just leave this as a long-term simmering hostility...

Seriously though, I'm not actually bothered about being right - I was just in an antagonsitic mood yesterday. Sorry. Must be the weather...

Tom B - heh, it was just from many hundreds of hours on the PAL version, I went to Harlen Quinn's house a week or so ago, we played a couple of hours on the PAL version, and when people left, it was me, him and Jonny Herpies on one screen, and he loaded up the NTSC version...

My jaw almost dropped. It was like Halo 2, but now. It was just so silky smooth, and doesn't have the frame clipping when you strafe and turn at the same time...and all that loveliness!

I remember seeing the tech demo for the PS2 featuring Gran Turismo and Tekken Tag, then, when the real things arrived, well, I was not all that impressed.

Well you are 100% wrong. :lol: Go and look again at the videos of the original PS2 demos for Gran Turismo 2000, The Bouncer and Tekken.

Now play Gran Turismo 3, The Bouncer or Tekken 4. (As a sad Sony fanboy I actually still have all these demos!)

These three games easily outshine the original March '99 technical demos. They should they didn't arrive on the console till 2 years later! (Tekken 4 was 3 years!)

The first year of software on the PS2 was crap. :lol: But by May 2001 when GT3 was released in Japan the console had began to fill some of it's promise.

People seem to remember the demos being much better looking than they really were. Don't believe me, do a search on Google, they are still pretty easy to find.

Then you haven't played them both enough. The NTSC version is buggerloads smoother, pushes 60fps (this is a guess, I can't count frames) unless you go into crowded areas, where it can drop. The the fact is, it doesn't drop for a lot of it, and is really really smooth.

NTSC Halo: Fixed frame rate 30fps.

PAL Halo: Fixed frame rate 25fps. (buggers up if you run in PAL60 with wierd frame skip bug - works out at I'd guess 17-18fps - looks wierd)

Both suffer in places.

Both look pretty smooth when they're running okay, but you can see the difference.

NTSC version is faster.

I am teh frame rate geek. :lol:

The Gran Turismo original look, is a lot better than Gran Turismo 3.

And Tekken 4 is not Tekken Tag, no matter how hard you think it is. :lol:

Err, my point is that the games available now on the PS2 have finally surpassed in playable real time the quality of the original technical demos from March '99. That should be no surprise as it is over 5 years later. (Go and look at them again if you don't believe me, they really aren't that good.)

It died an undignified death on its release a few months back. IIRC, it became a PS2 title only, and it bears little to no resemblence to the screenshots shown a few years ago.

No, Malice got an xbox release eventually. After much restyling, anyway. It's not a terrible game by any means, but it really is the dictionary definition of generic.