IGNORED

First Game That Scared You

CJ.

.::: Metroid. The titlescreen was very booming and menacing with it's music, when I was a kid. Playing the game was no better, I was scared silly by the rest of the game. Although Brinstar was 'happy' all the other zones were made terrifying because of the music.

Basically I got scared by ' Hip' Tanaka. It took me well over a year before I started appreciating it.

The world is different under 10 years of age.

[quote name='JedEvangelion' date='Aug 4 2004, 10:32 AM'] I'll see your ALIENS on Spectrum and raise you a.... ALIEN on ZX Spectrum. My mates still take the piss out of me, 21 years after the fact.

It was just a crappy top-down CAD-style map of the Nostromo, and if you were within 1 room of the Alien I seem to remember you'd hear it, and you'd hear doors opening and closing, and the 'screams' of your team mates dying... Dunno... I just remember telling everyone about how scary it was at school the next day, and then them wetting themselves laughing when they finally saw it.

Bastuds. :ph34r: [/quote]
Actually, I downloaded a copy last night and was playing it. It was a bit confusing and fiddly but still, moving from corridor to corridor and bumping into the fucker gave me a bit of a jolt. Foolishly, I tried using the incinerator I'd equipped Parker with, only for it to do fuck all. I then moved Lambert into the same room:

"Lambert sees Parker's corpse.

Lambert is feeling scared and nervous."

Her and me both.

doom scared me, i was new to the pc at the teime, it took me hours unzipping then entire game from the 5 disks and working out how to rename the exe file (yes it was a pirated copy)

by the time it was done the night was dark, i plugged some headphones in, and the lights were off and i was at home alone. My overactive imagination helped me too. i was jumping from the chair everytime i heard the roar or a grunt or the snarl of a demon. however what really shat me up was my parents comnig home and my father coming into my room and placing his hand on my shoulder. i had the earphone in and didnt hear him and almost jumped out of my skin.

Friday the 13th on the C64. Shit, awful game, but playing it on my own, a friday night, darkened room, running aimlessly about trying to figure out what to do when one of the campers gets killed... and then the screen switches to a digitised picture of Jason's mask with a knife through the eye hole complete with a very loud digitised scream. I jumped for fucking miles as it only lasted about two seconds and I think it was a random occurence as I never saw it again. God, I literally cacked my pants at that point.

Friday the 13th on the C64. Shit, awful game, but playing it on my own, a friday night, darkened room, running aimlessly about trying to figure out what to do when one of the campers gets killed... and then the screen switches to a digitised picture of Jason's mask with a knife through the eye hole complete with a very loud digitised scream. I jumped for fucking miles as it only lasted about two seconds and I think it was a random occurence as I never saw it again. God, I literally cacked my pants at that point.

Used to play that on my mates Spectrum, wandering around not knowing what was going on, then all the other little people wandering around would start turning up dead. :ph34r:

Never understood how to play it though.

Never understood how to play it though.

It was pretty easy. You had to find out who was Jason, so you just walked around and sometimes you might walk into him (he was the guy in the black suit). Other ways to find him were by hitting the people with a weapon. If one turned black, you had found Jason and could then clubber him to death.

Pretty pointless game really. I do remember that effect though, there were a few horrific pics with the scream which really made you jump.

Alien 3 for me.

The atmosphere and the music was superb coupled with the time limits. Brilliant game still to this day.

The start of Re-make still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. The bit where it goes "resident Evil" in the scary voice.

Resident Evil scared me quite a bit. One set piece that comes to mind is the giant-crocodile-in-a-tunnel in (I think) resi 2. When I first encountered that my mind just kind of shut down, and I refused to believe that it was actually happening.

Scarabeus from EA on the c64. What a forgotten classic, the soundtrack was just a heart beat (inspired!!). Running round in a pyramid in full 3D (10 years before wolfenstien or doom1), at full speed. When you actually detected a monster it scarred the pants of you! The game was so full of tension. If you get a chance to play it on an emu do so.

System shock 2 definately, I'd love to pick myself up another copy of it (lent it/lost it years ago scenario).

The Resi's are definitely another.

There was one cracking bit in that last Alone in the Dark effort. You're alone (err..in the dark...) searching a room and then lightning flashes and just for that millisecond you're surrounded by zombie types. Instant fag break needed.

Actually, those jumping buggers from Far Cry have had me creeping round corners recently too...

The scariest games that I played were probably Resident Evil, Silent Hill en System Shock.

But the scariest moment by far happened while playing Halo!

It was the level were you first meet The Flood. Nothing scary at first, I just shot all of them. But when I turned around to leave the room there was one of those zombie type thingies standing right next to me, doing nothing (bug?)! It scared the shit out of me and I must have emptied half a dozen of clips killing it!

There may have been some games on the Speccy that I can't recall, but the first experience of being scared by a game that I really remember happened not long after my cousin got an Amiga - Alien Breed! Aliens the game in everything but name, we played the game in two player co-op, late at night, on a big telly, in the dark, with the sound turned up.

Bloody hell. The game was hard as nails, there never seemed to be enough ammo, and if I recall correctly, on one of the very early levels it's dark and you just have a crappy torch beam. So we were wandering around these massive levels, never having enough ammo or keys, crapping ourselves and firing like crazy every time an alien popped up, when finally we managed to make it to the end of the level (probably level 2 mind, we were crap :D ). Suddenly: self destruct activated, evacuate immediately. Ohshitohshitohshitohshit... boom. Great game. :P

Happily I got an Amiga myself not long after and spent many a happy day playing lots of amazing games.

Trying to remember this best I can, but when I was four or five I used to go to my grandparents at weekends and spend the whole time playing on their amstrad. One particular game used to get me worked up to the point that and I was banned from playing it just before I went to bed. This game was Roland in the Caves.

There was something mind-blowingly frightening about trying to get Roland out as quickly as possible. I vaugely remember some fast badguys that gave you a head start. I think it was probably the feeling of being hunted that got to me.

Scarabeus from EA on the c64. What a forgotten classic, the soundtrack was just a heart beat (inspired!!). Running round in a pyramid in full 3D (10 years before wolfenstien or doom1), at full speed. When you actually detected a monster it scarred the pants of you! The game was so full of tension. If you get a chance to play it on an emu do so.

Good call. Wasn't the intro a little guy wandering into a door followed by his dog? Great, tense and scary game. The Eidolon was also pretty creepy as well.

Yup thats the one, that bits quite funny. The soundtrack is still one of the the most atmospheric. And it wasnt even written by Hubbard, Galway or Martin. A remake in 3d Metroid prime stylee would be superb. EA could make a decent original game for a change, considering they have the property already

Has no one played Clive Barker's Undying?! That's the only game where I was scared to simply move around ! The atmosphere was so thick, the creatures fast and deadly . FFS your best weapons were a hand to hand scythe and a stone that knocks the critters away from you! The creepiest thing however was when the stone whispers to you when there is evidence of ghostly activity.

. Also Another World was pretty creepy especially that giant lion thing that chases you in the first level.

Hmmm ive got scared by quite a few games over the years:

Many, many moons ago - Dungeon Master - it was the tight corridors that did it.

Quite a while ago - System Shock 2 - "Join Us!" <_<

Not quite so long ago - Project Zero - made me scream like a girl

and 2 days ago - Doom 3 - the first few hours totally shat me up! and oddly enough its another one with tight corridors

They blew it with Resident Evil 3 imo. The first time I played it I kept waiting for Nemesis to pop round the corner and when he did I was sat there ducking and squealing and shooting then finally felt relief.

And then it kept going on and on and on and basically they just made him show up a bit too much. It just got redundant and annoying basically.

I was dead chuffed the first time I played Resident Evil 2 and sorted out the whole fire extinguisher/crocodile thing the first time round. My ex sat there for what felt like 10 minutes shooting it and I managed it in about a minute.