IGNORED

The Chronicles of Riddick

Cyhwuhx

Rubbish isn't it? They should try to come up with something a bit less jarring than "you can shoot these guys, but not these ones, 'cos the plot says so".

Indeed. I makes sense when that heavy guard pins you in the tight corridor - you're going nowhere if that happens, but otherwise it's nonsense.

Indeed. I makes sense when that heavy guard pins you in the tight corridor - you're going nowhere if that happens, but otherwise it's nonsense.

Oh, and talking of which did anyone else think it was a bit silly where you had to shoot those things whizzing around the ceiling to kill the Heavy Guard?

And another thing, I got really confused when you have to board the ship, because I just sneaked past the 2 riot guards (as I always had done), but couldn't board the ship. Turns out you have to kill them both, at which point the ramp opens up, but the objective says "Make your way past the guards" not "Kill all the guards to trigger the next bit". That was the first time I had to kill a riot guard, and I only tried it out of desperation.

Definitely a flawed game, despite my glowing praise.

Oh, and talking of which did anyone else think it was a bit silly where you had to shoot those things whizzing around the ceiling to kill the Heavy Guard?

That section took me a while too, it wasn't obvious that you had to shoot the stuff on the ceiling to kill the heavy guard. I thought you needed the mini-gun which you picked up in the preceding room, that seemed like the obvious solution to me and I spent ages looking for a weak spot, I must've unloaded that gun into the guard for the best part of an hour.

Yes, but great fun.

I started again on hard after having finished it. It's more challenging but definitely doable.

Might stop playing when I get to the mines, though. That section takes way too long.

That section took me a while too, it wasn't obvious that you had to shoot the stuff on the ceiling to kill the heavy guard. I thought you needed the mini-gun which you picked up in the preceding room, that seemed like the obvious solution to me and I spent ages looking for a weak spot, I must've unloaded that gun into the guard for the best part of an hour.

What?! I don't remember picking up a mini-gun before then!

And another thing, I got really confused when you have to board the ship, because I just sneaked past the 2 riot guards (as I always had done), but couldn't board the ship. Turns out you have to kill them both, at which point the ramp opens up, but the objective says "Make your way past the guards" not "Kill all the guards to trigger the next bit". That was the first time I had to kill a riot guard, and I only tried it out of desperation.

You mean you didn't cream them all with the mini gun?

You missed some fun there...although I agree the bit where you had to explode fuel onto the mech was a bit rubbish....esp as it took me a while to realise there was no way I could move quick enough with the mini gun to avoid the masses of bulllets the damned thing fired.

But anyway great little game and very satisfying - I quite enjoyed the mines section once I got the the tranq gun (hehe electric storm) and the bit with the aliens type monsters later on was pure fun and rather Doom-esque.

Shame the conclusion came all to quick in the final section - tremedous fun but felt a little rushed - maybe it justed ended too quickly for my liking.

Also has the honour of being my first 10 day GAME rental - which shows it really is rather short given my usual gaming times....no real desire to play through again I'm afraid but the rush was well worth it

Finished it! On normal. Had some great fun but there are too many bugs and glitches (most of 'em have already been discussed in this topic). Typical for a fairly new gamestudio perhaps?

What I really disliked was the presence of the aliens. We Don't Need No Aliens! The mutated prisoners in The Pit, ok I can live with that. But those damn aliens. Sheesh. Half-Life, Far Cry, Halo - superb... and then you battle aliens or some sort of muated bastards. Terrible.

Finished it! On normal. Had some great fun but there are too many bugs and glitches (most of 'em have already been discussed in this topic). Typical for a fairly new gamestudio perhaps?

What I really disliked was the presence of the aliens. We Don't Need No Aliens! The mutated prisoners in The Pit, ok I can live with that. But those damn aliens. Sheesh. Half-Life, Far Cry, Halo - superb... and then you battle aliens or some sort of muated bastards. Terrible.

Monsters/aliens are integral part of the Riddick universe though. Pitch Black is all about them.

I'm on the last section. Some points:

- The opening part of the tutorial was a bit smelly. All it would've taken was a help message along the lines of: "There's a trapdoor behind you! Run to it! Now!"

- With regards the stealth... sometimes I'd sneak up behind a guard and Riddick just wouldn't raise his hands to let me make the kill... even though I was right behind him. Judging from the other comments though, maybe there's just a knack I haven't picked up yet...

- The fight with Abbot... too hard? He clubbed me to death about 15 times before I just got pissed and snapped his neck.

- The 3rd person ladder climbing is a stroke of genius. Why has no FPS ever done this before?

- Great voice acting.

- The fact you can look down and see yourself really adds to the immersion, as does the genius idea of having Riddick cast such a distinctive shadow.

- The mines section was only weak until you get the stungun. The last part of that section - rampaging around with a minigun while the guards battle the aliens - was just a riot.

- I liked the Pit segment. Tense as hell!

- some definite jaggies (even with RGB), but bearable.

- The gunplay is solid and satisfying. No complaints there.

Overall, a great little game... I'm now really looking forward to doing the - apparently great - final section.

I have to say I shat all over Abbot from a great height first time around (on normal) with a big club I had. Maybe it's the difficulty, but I had no problems with him whatsoever.

Hmmm... I had a shiv, but not a club. Thing with that fight was, Abbot's club takes health off you even if you block, and his swings can often cut right through your own blows and knock you off balance... I'm probably just shit I suppose, but that part was the most frustrating by far. My swear-ohs were turning the air blue.

Literally blue.

Tried that too, but he kept bopping me as I was retreating (that club has quite a reach).

Like I said, it's probably more due to lack of skill on my part than to flawed design on that of the designers. And I did manage it eventually.

How to defeat Abbott: run in the corridor he comes from, go through the door and spot the energysupplyhingie on the left. Fight with Abbott, when your energy is getting critically low, use the machine and then fight some more. Piece of cake ;)

How to defeat Abbott: run in the corridor he comes from, go through the door and spot the energysupplyhingie on the left. Fight with Abbott, when your energy is getting critically low, use the machine and then fight some more. Piece of cake ;)

"Hold on a second whilst I freshen up."

.::: Boring? So far I have yet to be bored. Controls start out odd, as you race through them in the tutorial section, but later on you get more of a feel for it. I do keep pressing X to reload instead of A. But I guess more people may suffer that twitch.

Ooh, quick question about the controls, been playing the demo but having real trouble with the way the analogue sticks are set out, does the full version let you assign turn/walk to one stick and look up+down/strafe to the other?

Got used to the default Goldeneye control method back in the N64 days and seriously can't play console FPS games any other way.

Ooh, quick question about the controls, been playing the demo but having real trouble with the way the analogue sticks are set out, does the full version let you assign turn/walk to one stick and look up+down/strafe to the other?

Got used to the default Goldeneye control method back in the N64 days and seriously can't play console FPS games any other way.

No way to change the controls. But if you can't adapt, that's your problem (and loss), IMO.

Apart from the weapon select and minor stick clicking issue, they're fine.

No way to change the controls. But if you can't adapt, that's your problem (and loss), IMO.

Apart from the weapon select and minor stick clicking issue, they're fine.

Believe me, I want to adapt, been trying ever since W40K:Fire Warrior wouldn't let me alter the controls, I just can't get the hang of it. I don't know why looking with one hand and going forward/back/sideways with the other is no problem for me on a PC with keyboard and mouse, yet is so much of a problem as soon as I pick up a joypad.

I'll keep plugging away at the demo, really enjoying it but just keep having ARGH! moments when I turn in stead of strafing or vice-versa.

EDIT: and after a few hours on Fire Warrior, with look assigned to the left stick, I seem to have fnally got it. Yay! ;)

Right then, dudes: I've done the final section, and...

*WARNING: ULTRA-SPOILERS AHEAD*

...well, it was a bit Red Faction 2 really, wasn't it? Don't get me wrong, it was still great - I grinned like a chimp when I realised the game was going to let me hijack the heavy armour - but not exactly a new idea. That said, Riddick implements it rather better than RF2 did: the way the armour's computer runs through its "sales pitch" spiel as you settle into the controls, or the battle tips it gives you ("multiple organic targets round next corner"), or the way the guards panic and curse as you scatter them before you / mow them down / blow them up. And it was immensely satisfying to be deluged with enemy machine gun fire, only to be informed: "Hull integrity at 100%". As the Edge review stated, it was nice to just forget the stealth and get some ass-kicking revenge.

*END OF ULTRA-SPOILERS*

In all then, an excellent game. I await Starbreeze's next title with great interest.

:ph34r:

I know it's been in development for quite a long time, but assuming Starbreeze had to finsh the game to meet the deadline set by the Chronicles of Riddick film, I think they did a damn fine job. The jaggies were bearly noticeable, maybe because I was just concentrating on what was actually happening. Anyway the graphics were a treat in the main. I don't even like stealth games that much and I thought it was great.