IGNORED

Jack Thompson in Manhunt interview...

Unofficial Who

As for the mum of the murderded kid - she also said that the murderer had lent the victim the game. Now, these kids grew up in an environment of drugs and crime and I'm sure these were massive factors in the murder. However, if the murderer HADN'T played Manhunt can we really be sure that the murder would have occured?

clearly, if the kid was so mentally mentally unstable that playing Manhunt sent himn over the edge and kill someone, then his illness already existed before Manhunt, or Rockstar came on the scene.

if someone suffering from depression kills themselves after listening to Slipknot, for example, should we hold the band and the record company responsible for their death or should we look at the reasons why that person was depressed?

My local Indie shop has a column in the local weekly free paper and last night's column was in regards to this. He made a good point about how he thinks it is a shallow move for Dixons et al to have removed the game from their shelves when everyone knows damn well they'll be pushing GTA:SA like crazy come the release date for that. As the column states, if those stores were to uphold their decision he would be the only shop in town to sell GTA:SA.

Good point, well made, I thought.

I fail to see how this guy suing Rockstar or Sony with the express stated aim of destroying them completely will make them sit up and pressure retailers into paying attention to the BBFC certificates or inspire ELSPA into starting a series of informative adverts to parents to get them to take certificates seriously.

If anything, it will be totally counterproductive.

How about an unskippable movie featuring Simon Bates before you can play?

"Whenever you rent or buy a game, you need to know that the content is suitable for you or the audience at home..."

Rockstar should sell their games directly from the internet. They get a higher margin, and there won't be any of this 'selling games to minors' stuff.

And how exactly do you know if a minor is ordering it?

My brother can order 18 rated films and games with his Solo card.

My local Indie shop has a column in the local weekly free paper and last night's column was in regards to this. He made a good point about how he thinks it is a shallow move for Dixons et al to have removed the game from their shelves when everyone knows damn well they'll be pushing GTA:SA like crazy come the release date for that. As the column states, if those stores were to uphold their decision he would be the only shop in town to sell GTA:SA.

Good point, well made, I thought.

I just thought. Dixons is part of a larger group of chain stores right? Are other chains run by the same parent company still stocking the game? If so, isn't pulling it from Dixon's just some kind of clever advertising?

On a seperate note.

I was in game the other day and there were two kids about eight years old, one got a copy of the suffering off the shelf and said to his mate "Buy this one, it's getting banned too!" :)

I just thought. Dixons is part of a larger group of chain stores right? Are other chains run by the same parent company still stocking the game? If so, isn't pulling it from Dixon's just some kind of clever advertising?

The Dixons group is Dixons, Currys, PC World and The Link. All of which have pulled the game, except The Link, which never stocked it in the first place.

The Dixons Group pulled it from the shelves.

That's Dixons, Currys and PC World.

Loved this quote here from http://xbox.ign.com/articles/536/536070p2.html

(an interview with JT.)

I'm a parent, and anybody's who's around kids, who's a parent or observed kids knows that kids act out what you fill their days and their minds with. It's common sense. It's in the education process. Nintendo, by the way, the dumbest ad campaign in the history of the world has decided to go with "You are what you play" [as their motto]. Thank you very much. Exhibit A. Every Jack Thompson and other "wacky" lawyer out there, as so described, appreciates Nintendo's in your face ad campaign which is irrefutable and is a gift to all of us who are trying to make the point. You are what you play.

If any decent judge did their homework, or knew of Mr Thompson from previous 'highlights' they would clearly understand that his judgement is seriously flawed. He is a gift to the argument that it is the parents who are unresponsible imbeciles.