IGNORED

Dungeons & Dragons

Taurus

What with the Neverwinter 2 announcement, I just thought I'd make a post about Dungeons & Dragons videogames. Because I think loads of them have been really brilliant, but one or two have been rubbish. My personal favourites include all the BioWare stuff, Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession, the first Dark Sun game, and Dungeon Hack. Which almost make titles like Dungeons & Dragons Heroes, or Temple of Elemental Evil a bit more bearable.

So how excited are people about Neverwinter 2, the new Snowblind Forgotten Realms game, and the Liquid Entertainment RTS?

Hmm. This could be a really short thread, couldn't it?

On the basis of what Stormfront achieved with Return of the King and Two Towers, I am really looking forward to their Forgotten Realms game.

They seem to have gotten their technology sorted out, this should mean they get plenty of time to focus on game play. I was very pleased with the improvements they made going from the Two Towers to Return of the King.

The E3 videos looked very impressive. Is it still due the end of this year?

I only know D&D games through what Bioware have done, enjoyed playing Badurs Gate and its sequel very much, along with the original Neverwinter. Not heard of Neverwinter 2 before, do you know what platform is it confirmed for?

I've always loved the whole Dungeons and Dragons "Formula" of Hero's travelling the land exploring dungeons, Fighting monsters with Swords and Sorcery, completing quests, etc, and Neverwinter Nights was a solid interpretation of it.

Nowaday's though I tend to look for a unique angle in my RPG's to stop them from looking too samey. Final Fantasy has always done this well with it's differing magic/combat systems, twisting plot and Involved backstory (Spira being particulary good) and Dark Chronicle was another good one.

Of late though, I havent had much time for RPG's so almost all of it has been spent on FFXI, and it dosent look like any another RPG will be able to get a look in at least for the immediate future. I was lured back back to Spira for FFX-2, but only for as long as it took to finish it, the 100% completion run I got halfway through now left hanging indefinitley.

I used to love the original Pools Of Radience (from way way back, before the bioware remake). I remember playing it on my dads Amstrad 186 with CGA graphics (there was a C64 version too!).

Completely non-linear, engrossing, varied stuff. There was so much depth to it even though you couldn't level up past about level 8...

I used to love the original Pools Of Radience (from way way back, before the bioware remake). I remember playing it on my dads Amstrad 186 with CGA graphics (there was a C64 version too!).

Completely non-linear, engrossing, varied stuff. There was so much depth to it even though you couldn't level up past about level 8...

I spent months with this game on the C64, it was actually on eight floppies. Loading times were horrible, 30 seconds every time you met a random encounter (and then you had to battle it out Final Fantasy Tactics style every time, which took ages). Drawing maps of all the areas was a real joy too. Ah, those were the days.

What with the Neverwinter 2 announcement, I just thought I'd make a post about Dungeons & Dragons videogames.

You incredible Geek, Dave.

Pools of Radiance was once of the reasons why I bought my Amiga, but then never actualy played it. And I completely forget the one of the Gold Box games I *did* play extensively...

Modern games: Planescape is one of the greatest videogames of the nineties. Most of the rest haven't been bad at all either.

KG

You incredible Geek, Dave.

Pools of Radiance was once of the reasons why I bought my Amiga, but then never actualy played it. And I completely forget the one of the Gold Box games I *did* play extensively...

Modern games: Planescape is one of the greatest videogames of the nineties. Most of the rest haven't been bad at all either.

KG

Was it TOSF? <_<

Where the NPC female who joined your party ended getting jiggy with one of them. Nice little touch that - mind you one time it was the dirty old dwarf. Hmmm.

It was also interested because once they'd "Got it on fully" (messages when around the campfire - Siljania (or whatver her name was) and <chr> can be seen talking quietly together...or go off together...or put their beds next to each other) and one or the other went down in battle, their partner would go into "Beserker mode" - totally out of your control doing double damage and having double attacks. Sometimes it was useful, at other times it ended up in their death too!

I have never really understood the appeal of these games, I must admit, when compared to the real experience of actually playing D+D or any other tabletop rpg for real. The computer game versions inevitably are just munchathons with occasional story choice bits.

I was really bored with FPSs and driving games on my PC, so I decided to give a new genre (to me) a go. Bought Baldur's Gate 2 and I thought it was brilliant!

But I got stuck in the underdark on lvl 5 (IIRC) and I'm not very good at the game, couldn't get any further, and haven't played it again for over a year. <_<

Got it set on the easiest level and still can't get anywhere. Bit gutting really.

Planescape Torment was the best of the modern ones, closely followed by BG2 and Throne of Bhaal. I've been slowly playing my way through BG1 using BG1tutu to play it on the BG2 engine, and although it is good I'd forgotten just how much theyhad improved things in BG2.

I have never really understood the appeal of these games, I must admit, when compared to the real experience of actually playing D+D or any other tabletop rpg for real.

It's like a football game or whatever - it's based on the same material, but offers a different experience. You don't play Pro-Evo because you can't be bothered to go to the park and kick a ball around properly, after all.

KG

Icewind dale was cocking brilliant. It was like all my dice and paper sessions come to life.

If the could only do the same with the amazingly good cyberpunk:2020 I'd be a very happy man. Best oppertunity for a MMORPG ever. I'd love to roam night city with my gang shooting at people with my FN-Ral and dispatching cops with my mini missile launcher hidden in my cybernetic limb.

"The Eyes boo! go for the eyes"

Isnt there also a new MMOG in production based on D&D ?

Blimey there were a lot ! Here's a list taken from this excellent gamespot feature

Pool of Radiance

Heroes of the Lance

Dungeon Masters Assistant Vol I

Curse of the Azure Bonds

Dragons of Flame

Hillsfar

War of the Lance

Dungeon Masters Assistant Vol II

Secret of the Silver Blades

DragonStrike

Champions of Krynn

Eye of the Beholder I

Eye of the Beholder II

Shadow Sorcerer

Pools of Darkness

Gateway to the Savage Frontier

Death Knights of Krynn

The Dark Queen of Krynn

Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Spelljammer

Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor

Fantasy Empires

Unlimited Adventures

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Stronghold

Dungeon Hack

Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager

Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession

Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse

Menzoberranzan

Ravenloft II: Stone Prophet

Deathkeep (3DO & PC)

Blood & Magic

Iron & Blood

Descent to Undermountain

Birthright: Gorgon's Alliance

Baldur's Gate

It's like a football game or whatever - it's based on the same material, but offers a different experience. You don't play Pro-Evo because you can't be bothered to go to the park and kick a ball around properly, after all.

KG

Yeah, but the compu-versions miss out on the whole roleplaying aspect of roleplaying games. At least in a football game, to difference is simply whether you want to get sweaty or not - you're still after the same objective.

At least in a football game, to difference is simply whether you want to get sweaty or not - you're still after the same objective.

You're after the same objective in RPGs too - defeat the baddies.

What differs is the matter of style how you get there.

And I'm not sure I believe you when you say you can't see the difference in experience of playing football and playing a football game, bar sweat.

KG

I spent months with this game on the C64, it was actually on eight floppies. Loading times were horrible, 30 seconds every time you met a random encounter (and then you had to battle it out Final Fantasy Tactics style every time, which took ages). Drawing maps of all the areas was a real joy too. Ah, those were the days.

It's all flooding back! The little journal book which the game would tell you to refer to when you discovered something, and those bloody stupid code-wheels!

I've been slowly playing my way through BG1 using BG1tutu to play it on the BG2 engine

What is this infernal wizardry of which you speak?

Incidentally, I tried to edit my post to include a link to an FAQ about sneak attacks which every DM should read, but it didn't work. Which is just as well, as only Keiron would have known why I was posting it, and he's probably forgotten by now anyway.

Here's a list

I think I've played pretty much every one of those except! for Spelljammer, in spite of that being my favourite AD&D setting. I didn't even know it existed. Where can I get it from now? Actually, I also didn't play Birthright: Gorgon's Alliance. Where can I get that too? Thanks in advance!

It's a little utility that you point at your BG1 and BG2 installations and it does some magic so you can play BG1 using the BG2 engine, complete with extra character kits, highlighting of openable objects when you hold down tab, high res. video modes, etc. etc. The only thing that doesn't work quite right for me is that all the water has a green tinge, but I can live with that.

Edit: I should probably include a link. <_<

The objective in rpgs is roleplay a character.

Well, strictly speaking, it's not even that - it's to have fun, but that's being too reductive, probably.

Thing is - if it's just about the role-playing a character, why on earth do they have all the rules? Because most people it's also about a game. Of course, this is also role-playing. In a trad-fantasy game, any standard character's role-playable goal is to go and defeat evil or whatever nonsense. That's motivation.

(Obviously, there's some games that throw out rules entirely. God knows, I love them and have ran a number of them.)

While it's fashionable now to keep a purist "It's all about RP" approach to games, it certainly wasn't like this right at the origins of the hobby. There's groups of players who use it purely as an tactical game in an anal-rules-lawyering way. Are they not playing D&D properly? I suppose that's my point - D&D is a source set of material, and can be interpretted by different people in different ways.

Even the role-play-centric people like me and you (I'm presuming here), are going to interpret the material hugely differently, stressing different elements according to our own styles.

(Of course, the rules-centric stuff in D&D is actually much better done on the PC than in real life, because it's infinitely pacier and easier to manage)

KG