Mashed: An Appreciation

Wickedkitten

This game is AMAZING. Last night we missed the boat that we were supposed to be boozing on so we ended up going to the pub, then Threshers and came back to the flat for 4 person Mashed.

Single Player is well annoying but a necessary evil as you need to unlock the extra cars and airstrike mode, but as a multiplayer game it excells.

What I didn't appreciate when I sat down to play this with mates was the fact that there are only 4 courses.

I assume you have to play the incredibly shit and frustrating singleplayer to unlock more. I'm going to try to persuade someone else to do it for me.

I haven't myself played it, but it looks like the handling is dead fidgity and perhaps too sensitive.

Would have to play it to see though.

I downloaded the demo and the handling is really sensitive but it you get used to it. Sometimes it helps if you want to knock an opponent out of the way and get back on like quickly though. Not something I'd buy though.

What I didn't appreciate when I sat down to play this with mates was the fact that there are only 4 courses.

And I'm sure the developers appreciate you neglecting one half of the game. :D

On a more serious note, the single-player mode is pretty decent, it's certainly not great, nor is it bad, so you can hardly complain because a game wants you to play it.

You can get all but two of the tracks unlocked in about an hour of play. You'll need all silvers and golds to unlock the other two tracks I'm guessing. At least you only have to do them on bronze to unlock them for multiplayer.

Even worse than only having the initial four tracks unlocked you CANNOT move your xbox save onto another xbox as it is specific to the xbox you opened up all the other levels on. So you have to complete the single player on EVERY SINGLE xbox you ever play the game on.

So far I have played through the single player 3 times (in order to experience its multiplayer thrills). Everytime was just painful.

On a more serious note, the single-player mode is pretty decent, it's certainly not great, nor is it bad, so you can hardly complain because a game wants you to play it.

Of course I can. I've bought it so it's my game. I got this game to play with my friends, not to sit alone racing computer cars. I've already got a shelf full of singleplayer games I want to compete, thank you.

Besides, if I was to sit alone playing this just to unlock all the multiplayer-levels, I would have an unfair advantage over the other guys who comes around to play it with me, as I would be more familiar with the tracks and the controls than they would be. I'd rather the gaming experience be fair for all.

And the fact that you can't copy the savegame is just baffling. What the hell were they thinking?

Single Player is well annoying but a necessary evil as you need to unlock the extra cars and airstrike mode, but as a multiplayer game it excells.

This is stupidity itself.

Why not allow you to play a few multiplayer modes, and only unlock more by *shock* playing the first lot of multiplayer modes?

At least it keeps it consistent, and if a group of players are playing together you get some kind of reward/new surprises for everyone to try (at least the first time through)

Surely if we follow the current model to conclusion, we need to unlock single player levels in multiplayer? ;)

Of course I can. I've bought it so it's my game. I got this game to play with my friends, not to sit alone racing computer cars. I've already got a shelf full of singleplayer games I want to compete, thank you.

Besides, if I was to sit alone playing this just to unlock all the multiplayer-levels, I would have an unfair advantage over the other guys who comes around to play it with me, as I would be more familiar with the tracks and the controls than they would be. I'd rather the gaming experience be fair for all.

Damn right, too. Obviously a misguided design decision; every single person I know who has this complains about the forced one-player mode. Our solution has been to sit and take turns, the 4 of us, completing the one player game. Or at least as far as all-bronzes.

Whats more annoying is that there are only 13-14 courses. WTF? Not even reversed versions of the tracks - Im sure they could have designed the tracks with this function in mind, and effectively doubled the number of tracks. I would have hailed this as a multiplayer must-have, but the truth is this is about 25% of the number of tracks you'd get in Micro Machines. And, weapon differences and airstrike mode apart, that's all mashed is.

The fact that everyone's proclaiming it as the greatest party game in ages is fair enough, but go back and play Micro Machines again and you'll see that it's just as much multiplayer fun as Mashed. Mashed is definitely an evolution in terms of graphics and spurious FX (explosions, missiles, cars on fire etc - all ace) and there's a couple of wee gameplay tweaks in the right direction, but little more. And what's with that swooshing camera? It causes more grief than 'oohs and aaahs' so it was a bad design decision IMHO. I suspect it's just timely because there hasn't been a new Micro Machines game in ages so, for most of us, this type of multiplayer fun was wormed it's way to the back of the games cupboard to be forgotten about.

Mashed then; good but ultimately dissapointing. ;)

Mashed is much more inclusive than Micro Machines, thanks to the dynamic camera.

About 70% of my friends couldn't get to grips with driving down the screen in MM (or couldn't be bothered to), leaving only a hardcore few I could play against. So whilst I've got fond memories of pixel precise escapes on the sponge in Ferry Fiasco, I prefer playing Mashed with my gf on a Sunday afternoon anyday.

Oh, and it simply cannot be classed as disappointing, as practically nothing was expected from it in the first place. :)

Even worse than only having the initial four tracks unlocked you CANNOT move your xbox save onto another xbox as it is specific to the xbox you opened up all the other levels on.

Are you fucking kidding me??!!!! :)

I've been sitting through the - frankly painful - singleplayer mode (worst camera shifting ever) to unlock stuff for some multiplayer nights in the future... but I won't be using my Xbox... which means I've wasted my fucking time!!!

Jesus fucking christ. Whoever decided that was a good idea deserves to be shot in the head. It's bad enough they're locked out in the first place, but this takes the biscuit!

Blimey Sprite, how would you react if something really bad happened to you?

The single player isn't exactly painful is it? I think having to play it to unlock the tracks is stupid too, but it's not exactly like doing Maths homework is it? I took turns with a mate, opened up 12 of the tracks over the course of an hour or two. It was fun, and everytime we opened a track we couldn't wait to have a crack at in in multiplayer.

Not being able to transfer your save game is daft but I'm sure you can get round it. My xbox fits into one of those big Sainsbury's bags quite nicely.

In other words, chill man! :)

The single player isn't exactly painful is it?

I'm currently 'stuck' on a one-on-one race on that icy level. Because it's only my car on-screen, the camera keep shifting around like a loon.

It's bloody painful and annoying!

In other words, chill man! :)

;)

Noooo!!! This is a pet hate of mine. Stupid unlockable stuff that you can't even transfer!!!

Do you reckon they did it on purpose or was it a freak accident? Surely no-one could intentionally be that mean/stupid.

This game is AMAZING. Last night we missed the boat that we were supposed to be boozing on so we ended up going to the pub, then Threshers and came back to the flat for 4 person Mashed.

You forgot to mention that I RUINED you all at it. Repeatedly.