Your requests for the next generation of Handhelds

therealjohnpeat

Playing Mario and Luigi on the GBA yesterday I finally decided that not being able to switch-off the machine at any time without having to find a savepoint first is IDIOTIC on a machine designed to be used on the move (as opposed to portable - which just means it's light enough to transport <_< )

So - that's my request, Nintendo, Sony, Nokia et all, please make your machine so that you can turn-off the screen and leave the system in a low-power condition such that when you turn it back on you can continue unabated.

Feel free to include an alarm which beeps to remind me I'm chewing up recharge-time by-all-means...

BUT

If you can't deliver this, please don't kid yourself you're making a truly 'portable' machine eh?

45 mins between savepoints isn't funny...

JP

Sleep mode is a function of Mario and Luigi. Can't remember how to set it though - it's in the menu I think. Easily done.

All games need to come with it though, so if it could be a hardware function which saves the RAM state and shuts down, like Hibernation on a laptop, it would be ideal.

Sleep mode is a function of Mario and Luigi. Can't remember how to set it though - it's in the menu I think. Easily done.

All games need to come with it though, so if it could be a hardware function which saves the RAM state and shuts down, like Hibernation on a laptop, it would be ideal.

or sleep mode on an actual decent laptop, mine slept for over 20 hours the other day and only had 5% drained from the battery and sleeps/wakes before you can even open the lid fully amazing stuff. Powerbook naturally

A headphone plug?

And better sound.

I can't belive it took Nintendo this long to get stereo speakers on a Gameboy. Hopefully they will make some (optional... don't flame me please Legendary) use of the guaranteed stereo sound in DS games to promote even more innovative gameplay.

So - that's my request, Nintendo, Sony, Nokia et all, please make your machine so that you can turn-off the screen and leave the system in a low-power condition such that when you turn it back on you can continue unabated.

Surely this has to be handled by the game?

Fire Emblem does it really well, saving after every single character move. You can turn it off at any point, as soon as you hit resume you return to the exact point where you quit earlier. It's great once you learn to accept your mistakes...

One thing that would've made the DS interesting is if they had digital video cameras in the back, pointing away from you. Then, in a wireless multiplayer game, you could stand opposite your opponent and have them on the screen and...er...shoot them!

The consoles would beam each other's pictures to the opposite DS and the top screen would display your opponent, plus objects for you to each move behind etc. The cameras would have to shoot a mirror image for you to move the correct way of course!

Then you'd use the bottom touch screen to throw custard pies at each other or something!