IGNORED

Azumi is bloody great fun.

El Spatula

Bought this on t'weekend after loving Versus, and it's bloody brilliant. The fight scenes are great, most of the characters are well done, and the main girl is lovely (although occasionally chair like).

Pure popcorn fun. Not sure if it's better than Versus yet though.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen Versus but noticed this title in HMV today and picked it up.

Aya Ueto is a J-Idol so casting her in the role must be a good thing :)

Got home and before I started ripping the plastic off of it to watch, thought I'd do a search for DVD comparisons.

Apparently this version is cut to buggery, losing some 20 minutes - not happy :D

Anyway good news is that despite Yes Asia only having the Korean version (also the international cut), Amazon Japan have the definative version so I've plumped for that.

I'll post my impressions when I get round to watching it.

On another slightly removed note, I picked up BFI's Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo and Throne of Blood on DVD in the 2 for £20 deal.

If only they had Seven Samurai in that deal.... :angry:

Azumi is crap. FACT.

Azumis can't act, its dire really really dire and is equivalent to say... hmmmm a Steven Segal movie. She enjoys pouting and swinging here cape which is fun for 5 seconds.

You mean Aya Ueto - for someone that's watched it, 'Azumi' is the title of the movie (based on the comic book incidentally). :)

Heh - nice to see you had to actually 'think' of a comparison. :D

Azumi starts off great, but never really lives up to its early promise. Some really nicely crafted scenes (like when Hyuga squares off with Bijomaru – shame the fight is not that great, though nicely acted) Some unintentionally funny scenes as well (like Azumi's Godfather-3-like "Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in” speech). I'm looking forward to the sequel.

My brother, on the other hand, reckons the director managed to get his hands on all sorts of new toys, and decided to have a directorial wank. He will not be watching the sequel.

I haven't seen Versus but noticed this title in HMV today and picked it up.

Aya Ueto is a J-Idol so casting her in the role must be a good thing :)

Got home and before I started ripping the plastic off of it to watch, thought I'd do a search for DVD comparisons.

Apparently this version is cut to buggery, losing some 20 minutes - not happy :D

Anyway good news is that despite Yes Asia only having the Korean version (also the international cut), Amazon Japan have the definative version so I've plumped for that.

I'll post my impressions when I get round to watching it.

On another slightly removed note, I picked up BFI's Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo and Throne of Blood on DVD in the 2 for £20 deal.

If only they had Seven Samurai in that deal.... :angry:

Jesus, thanks for the warning about the cuts. Almost bought it last week. Good film, it is.

All the Evil people in it seem to have really MUAHAHAHAHAHAA laughs, which is always a good thing, and Azumi's just lovely.

You mean Aya Ueto - for someone that's watched it, 'Azumi' is the title of the movie (based on the comic book incidentally). :unsure:

Heh - nice to see you had to actually 'think' of a comparison. :P

l don't really care who she is, she was rubbish and the whole thing is just dire in comparsion to his previous work Versus. Hell give him more money and he manages to fudge up the film even more , for example Sky High was another film with a big budget but was crap. Spend your money on Ultimate Versus instead.

l don't really care who she is, she was rubbish and the whole thing is just dire in comparsion to his previous work Versus. Hell give him more money and he manages to fudge up the film even more , for example Sky High was another film with a big budget but was crap. Spend your money on Ultimate Versus instead.

Let's face it, Versus, as a film, is RUBBISH. It's purely "get pissed with mates and laugh your tits off at the stupidness of it all" fodder.

Not seen Azumi but I loved Versus at the cinema and I reckon it stands up on video.

It's a proper dumb idiot movie. It's kind of like the Matrix equivalent of Evil Dead, in that the director got a bunch of unknowns together, went out into a forest in the middle of nowhere and just filmed as many goofy action and special effects sequences as he could.

So if you like the idea of a paper thin storyline that makes no sense stringing together Samurai vs. Zombie swordfights, Yakuza vs. Zombie gunfights and a karate master vampire who looks like an asian Gary Numan then it's worth a look! :unsure:

the action scenes in azumi are absolutely fucking woeful - piss badly choreographed, and virtually contactless!!

and that j-pop star who plays azumi is so utterly unsuited for the role, it's ridiculous..

nice 360 loop cam effect at the end... but thats it.