IGNORED

So I finished Painkiller...

pretentious_helvetica

A bit anti-climatic really. Lucifer appears to be the weakest end-of-game boss ever created. Well, if you know how to kill him that is. I didn't and kept firing to kill him, then decided to have a gander at gamefaqs and managed to kill him in 10 seconds flat. Ooops.

The last level is worth it though - it's absolutely gorgeous. Imagine every war and disaster frozen in time - and that includes explosions, gunfire, etc. All of this is eclipsed by a massive frozen nuclear bomb mushroom cloud.

I still can't believe this is People Can Fly's first ever game. It's fan-fucking-tastic, but only if you don't take the Edge intellectual viewpoint and simply enjoy it for what it is. Can't wait for the expansion.

Painkiller would actually be more suited to the Xbox you know.

It's a very good game, even better than Serious Sam by miles!, but can be a bit of a no brainer at times.

Better than Serious Sam! I love the xbox Serious Sam. Serious Sam, like Burnout, makes me smile. Can't wait for Painkiller! (just needed to say all that, feel better now)

I defeated Alastor last night.

How long 'til the 'OMFG' level? Is that the last one?

(PS. Painkiller is great! I've put aside more 'thinking' FPSs, cos they're too boring at the moment. Painkiller is pure playability.)

Is alastor the big flying demon thing?

From memory - not long! To be fair it has been hyped up on here so much that it cannot possibly live up to what you expect. Enemy wise it is pretty hopeless- it is all about the backdrops and scenery.

I bought it about a month ago, and I'm only really playing it now. It's fecking brilliant. A laugh riot. I'm currently on the big flying boss.

Fantastic physics, too. Although they're not used enough. They were best on the abandoned factory level.

Yeah, he was a right pain in the knickers.

Is there a way to avoid getting knackered by constant falls? I tried to surf a few slices of roof down but they disappeared. :D

And with regards to Lucifer, I must have got lucky. I shot him for about five minutes then he died. I still have no idea what I did to kill him, initially assuming that he just had a huge invisible health bar.

Is there a way to avoid getting knackered by constant falls? I tried to surf a few slices of roof down but they disappeared. <_<

And with regards to Lucifer, I must have got lucky. I shot him for about five minutes then he died. I still have no idea what I did to kill him, initially assuming that he just had a huge invisible health bar.

With Alastor, as long as you've got the 150 health card on your person and grab all the gubbins around the layers of tower-death, you should be fine. The fact the Havok-influenced scenery can block your way often is a bit of a niggle, but at the same time it's loads of fun. Alastor is way more impressive than the Lucifer scrap, only because you see his horrific mug flying towards you along with several tons of masonry.

Lucifer is a piss of piss to kill. Only if you know how -

When the meteorites hit the ground, fire at them so they bounce up towards Lucifer. He'll then throw his sword at you. Deflect that. Lucifer dead. Oops. Also, better to confront him in the half of the level with the huge mushroom cloud. Confronting him on the other half could mean insta-death from falling off the unhandy ledge.

After the Alastor level, there's another 4 levels to go. I think that as games go, Painkiller is good clean shooty fun. I'm still impressed by the look and feel of the game - for a first title, it's brilliant. Actually, I'm playing it on the next difficulty level to see those locked levels I couldn't play before. I can now enjoy the upcoming Painkiller expansion pack without worrying about not having finished the game *phew*

As for Doom 3 - Friday. Mmm. Friday.

I still can't believe this is People Can Fly's first ever game. It's fan-fucking-tastic, but only if you don't take the Edge intellectual viewpoint and simply enjoy it for what it is. Can't wait for the expansion.

Couldn't agree more. It was just a high intesity ride form start to finish.

I finished this last night. Superb final level in terms of visual scope (although there were some rather 'rocky' looking cloud effects... a necessity though, I suppose). A shame that the final level was a bit boring (and easy) to play, but just running around it with all that stuff going on and the screams and shouts at the same time was more than worth it.

That sinking battleship/submarine thing was the real jaw drop moment for me!

Didn't think I'd actually finish it, to be honest. Glad I did though!

• 1 year later...

Did anyone play the expansion pack for Painkiller, and was it any good? Loved the main game myself. Will have to reinstall it sometime and play through on Hard to unlock the extra levels.

I was left unimpressed by the expansion pack. Definetly not worth the cash.

:wub:

That's all you're getting, Sir Trollsalot.

Huh?

I've been playing the Xbox version and it's dire, definitely down there with the cream of the Xbox FPS crap like Pariah and Darkwatch. I know someone will trot out the usual FPS defense of "you've got to take it for what it is, a brainless shooter" but this one really is fucking bad, it's not just brainless it's gormless, charmless and pointless with virtually nothing going for it at all. My trigger finger has never been so bored.

The length of time the XBox version was in development for made me suspect it would be pants, unfortunate to have it confirmed though.

Still have the P.C one on my hard-drive, just never really got into it. The first few levels were quite dull, it felt like an atmospheric Serious Sam but with more cramped locations. SS may have been created with cheap and cheerful values but it had my adrenaline literally buzzing at certain points, Painkiller just made me jump once or twice for the time I played it.

Played a chunk of this last night, up to the end of the Cathedral level (3rd level). Well, it's a bit joyless is the word I would use. It's nice and chunky, the backgrounds look very nice (especially the cathedral)... and well, that's about it for the good. What is it with the god awful rawk muzak kicking in all the time. Horrendous. It has some awful slowdown, sometimes dropping to a pause before stuttering onwards. It starts with one of the worst levels ever. There you are in the cut scene talking to some angel bloke, then you're in a graveyard, all dark and pointless running round killing blokes in armour. Absolutely no sense at all.

It really is Serious Sam with all the humour, fun and excitement sucked clean out of it.

Disappointingly poor/10.

Huh?

I've been playing the Xbox version and it's dire, definitely down there with the cream of the Xbox FPS crap like Pariah and Darkwatch. I know someone will trot out the usual FPS defense of "you've got to take it for what it is, a brainless shooter" but this one really is fucking bad, it's not just brainless it's gormless, charmless and pointless with virtually nothing going for it at all. My trigger finger has never been so bored.

That's much better.

I just accuse anyone of trolling if I think they can do a better job of explaining their opinions a second time around.

Has anyone played both versions? Is there any real difference between the two other than the technicals?

When I had 512MB memory, I found it very slow to load levels. Sometimes C64 tape loading slow. I shit you not when I say one time a level took over 40 minutes to load. Though I would hope that was an isloated incident with some external factor affecting it. But it was still slow loading in general.