IGNORED

Samurai Pizza Cats

Popo

spc01.jpgspc02.jpg

I was glancing over Suprnova the other day when a torrent caught my eye - none other than anime classic Samurai Pizza Cats! It's almost unbelieveable, but I never thought I'd see it again - Bit torrent really is the best thing ever invented.

In case anyone doesn't remember, SPC is a show that was brought over here using the same translation method they used for The Magic Roundabout - you know, the old 'Can't be arsed to translate it, so we'll just make it up instead' method. I've never seen the original Japanese version of the show, but there's no way it's as zany as the utterly baffling English version! When I last saw the programme I would have only been 10, or even younger, so the excentricities of it would have totally past me by, but by god, it's even more watchable now than I remember it!

A funny looking bird flys past, so the narrator makes the remark, "A funny looking bird flies past" - a character pushes another out of a window and says "Why would I push her out the window?", to which the reply is "It was in the script" ;)

I laughed out loud on so many occasions while watching, whoever was writing the script for the English langauge version was taking the piss, but the really funny thing is, the viewer is in on the joke too. Do yourself a favour and grab a slice of this old-school anime - for geeky adults, it is pure comedy. ;)

SPC - Youth is for Exploding

SPC - Bad Bird Uncaged

SPC - No Talent Guido

SPC - Pizza Bird Delivers

SPC - Singing Samurai Sensai-tion

Did the exact same thing a few days ago, but the only problem is they're VHS-Rips. I've tried watching Thundercats ones on the TV [via the XBox] and it's not great. Especially for sound. This seems to be the same.

Fantastic show though. I hate nostalgia ;)

yeah bit torrent is great for stuff like that.

Currentlly downloading part 1 of the Duck Tale rips. Problem is its going so slow, i bet the other 5 parts will be gone by the time i try download. Also had darkwing duck there too, but its probably not seeded anymore.

I never saw this, but I remember having some grudge against it because I imagined it to be a direct response to the TMNTs. Like a bunch of guys sat in a boardroom trying to come up with a rival wacky, unexpected show title.

"They've got Ninjas, we'll have.....

.... samurai! Yeah. And we'll add pizzas to the equation and make them cats".

Probably just my prejudices, though...

I never saw this, but I remember having some grudge against it because I imagined it to be a direct response to the TMNTs. Like a bunch of guys sat in a boardroom trying to come up with a rival wacky, unexpected show title.

"They've got Ninjas, we'll have.....

.... samurai! Yeah. And we'll add pizzas to the equation and make them cats".

Probably just my prejudices, though...

Well, it was kind of meant to be a piss-take of the Turtles, they even mention them in the opening titles.

Well, it was kind of meant to be a piss-take of the Turtles, they even mention them in the opening titles.

You have to admit that the fact they get fired out of an enormous revolver adds something to the series, however :)

I may be wrong, but because SPC was a dubbed reworking of a Japanese cartoon, I doubt that it was made with the intent of parodying TMNT.

Might be wrong mind.

I may be wrong, but because SPC was a dubbed reworking of a Japanese cartoon, I doubt that it was made with the intent of parodying TMNT.

Might be wrong mind.

The English version still makes reference to it ("They've got more fur than any turtle ever had"), although it's debateable how much they picked up on the parodying aspect of the show. They may have only referenced it because they had to, given the appearance of an old shakey-looking turtle in the opening credits :)

Might be wrong mind.

Well, yeah. I meant the dub of it (which is approximately 90% of its character - I imagine a straight sub of it would be dull as fuck).

Anyway, I just watched the first of these, and it's really good! I love the way that the people doing the dub really didn't give a shit about the programme - there's even faint references to the fact that they're constantly reusing footage to keep the costs down. Fantastic.

Oh, and fans of hilariously redubbed cartoons should have a look at this:

http://www.fenslerfilm.com/?sec=video

It's a selection of short clips of GI Joe redubbed, and is amazing.

I said to a fellow in an internet chat room, 'give me a torrent to test the new client i have installed'

he gave me the link 'something.something.pizza%Bird%delivers.torrent'

aye, aye! i thought.

the torrent wasn't what i imagined it to be. :)

There was an article in Manga Max (nee Mania) years ago about it - apparently the original anime (called Kitten Nenden Teyandee or thereabouts) was actually fairly serious and violent.

Well. About as serious and violent as cyborg cats fighting. And The Big Cheese was a fox originally.