IGNORED

Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders

Gabe

I first saw a preview of this in (I think) OXM about 18 months or so ago, and it looked pretty good then - a Dynasty Warriors title for Xbox with RPG elements. It has now been previewed in both Edge and GamesTM, and I for one am certainly looking forward to it in the next couple of months.

Seems the concept has been expanded to cover RTS, RPG and hack-and-slash see preview here. Anybody else aware of its' existance?

.::: I previewed this game almost two years ago when I still wrote for a Dutch Xbox site...

I'm frankly quite amazed it still hasn't been launched, it already looked finished back then. The concept sounded very good btw. Sort of Dynasty Tactics but then what the title really sounds like.

I'll fess up and admit I've been playing the Yarr version the last couple of days and it's wicked.

It's a cross between Full Spectrum Warrior and Dynasty Warriors. You have a cursor you move around the landscape exactly like FSW. You can control (so far) 2 sets of troops, so that you can flank the opposition. But once you engage the enemy it switches to real time fighting. There are weapon and armour upgrades, and you can also buy new moves and special moves. The specials usually involve one of the characters coming along a giving you a helping hand for a few seconds by doing some crazy moves to wipe out the enemy.

There are some nice touches, like archers being less accurate if they are directly facing the sun. Ot being unable to use fire arrows if it's raining.

Really enjoying it at the moment. And it looks great as well. Loads of characters onscreen but without that dreadful fog that plagues DW.

I'm quite interested in this and glad its finally being released after all this time. One thing those is that the mag previews have mentioned its got LIVE features - is it a direct 1 VS 1 game like you play versus the CPU or is it 1 VS 1 using just a hero from the game?

Been playing all afternoon and really enjoying it, more than Dynasty Warriors 4. Seems to have more depth to it, with you being able to send individual units around to flank the enemy and stuff. Looks absolutely beautiful and the only honest criticism I have is that the English language voice acting is rather dodgy. :)

From what I can tell (played it round a mate's house and didn't really explore live options too much, so I may be talking rubbish) you can either play 1 on 1 against someone else with a limitation of three units each or do a deathmatch, which I assume is just the single characters. There's going to be mission packs and new weapons to download from Live too.

Haven't heard the UK Siren, but KUF has a mix of bland transatlantics and overdone Tansylvanian accents and due to the script (it may be dodgy translation, I dunno) often doesn't quite fit in with the medievil fantasy setting. It's certainly the first time me and my brother have heard the word "asswipe" used by a Dark Elf. :)

You can switch it to Korean with English subs though, which is nice.

You can switch it to Korean with English subs though, which is nice.

Excellent. We should have this choice more often.

As for the LIVE options - I was hoping for a full on 1 VS 1 with all units but hell that was me wishful thinking. Oh well I'll see how its generally received and probably give it a go once its released here. Its not like we are pushed for games to chew on at the moment tho eh..

Right after a quick blast on the First two missions I'm definately liking this.

I've not played anything like it so it feels very fresh to me. Scale of the first 2 battles is small but I expect greater things later on.

Once you get down to the fighting it reminds me a bit of the LOTR games from EA but it's not as simplistic. Which is good. For example you can't just keep hitting defend like in LOTR and get no damage. Here your defense has to be much more about timing and linking in with attacks. You've got magic points aswell which are used up with special attacks and if you need to call over your allies (2 other main characters in the infantary)

The infantry movenment is easy, simple 'beam'/icon.

There looks to be no multiplayer (bar the Xbox LIVE option) which is a shame. A co-op would've been spectacular and 1v1 would be cool. Doesn't even seem to be link up...

The only other negative would be the horrible rawk guitar that blasts through the speakers and doesn't fit with such a medievil game. I'm sure it can be turned off though. The korean with english subs is also a good option but the characters are quite westernised, so depending on how bad it is I'm going to give the English a go.

Could be excellent on LIVE.

The only other negative would be the horrible rawk guitar that blasts through the speakers and doesn't fit with such a medievil game. I'm sure it can be turned off though.

One to break out the Black Sabbath LPs for? :(

One to break out the Black Sabbath LPs for? :D

:( Yeah, shame there's no custom soundtrack either

One thing I'm not sure about is the health system. I've got a green bar beneath my player which has been reduced several times to near 0 at which point I have to 'waggle' the left stick to gain more energy. Theres also a bar top left which I presume is the 'main' energy bar.

Got mullered in my last battle, lost lots of troops but my archers came to the rescue. Its a nice mix of action and RTS.

I take it this is a yarrr copy then? so Live features cannot be confirmed or tested :(

Yeah, MikeP said he'd got one so I checked it out and it was at the usual place. Not sure when the release date is but I'll definately be picking this up if the LIVE is implemented well.

Switching between differnt groups of troops and attacking from different sides is great. R switches catergory ie. main infantry and archers but you can move them all together with Y

I've had a couple of occasions where an enemy has gone out of the 'set battle area' and therefore I can't attack them. Invisible wall syndrome unfortunately. Its annoying that my fellow infantry can glady step out of this and follow the said enemy. They tend to come back within 5-10 secs but still.

It's definitely worth that cheap asking price that videogames plus want. no arguing.

As far as I can tell the larger energy bar at the top of the screen is the whole "troops" enegry bar. Once all your troops are felled it's game over.

Some battles are now becoming quite huge with me having control of 3 sets of troops at once. It's looks spectacular it really does.

Being the yarr version I can't confirm Live stuff either. But it's so much fun in single player that I don't care.

One other thing. You can pick different characters which relate to the difficulty level. Plus it plays the game out from their perspective, so loads of replay value.

And yeah, voice acting is crap. The music is plain weird, I don't mind "rawk" music, but in a mediaeval game? Those crazy japs eh.

Yeah, MikeP said he'd got one so I checked it out and it was at the usual place. Not sure when the release date is but I'll definately be picking this up if the LIVE is implemented well.

17th September for the PAL release according to play.com, already got one pre-ordered. <_<

peve - have you had a chance to play this yet?

Going to delve back into it again later. Its a pleasant surprise for me, I had seen shots in EDGE and thought it looked good but its kind of come from nowhere. Maybe I've ignored games like this before but it certainly feels different.

Well its finally downloaded and it really does appear that you can play 4 UP on this game. The player sets up his troops and then goes to Optimatch where if you pause it on the screen, it does show 3 other players.

Having the map take up 1 third of the screen will take a little getting used to but it looks very tactical - definately my cup of tea.

The game does looks ace with complete carnage - I love the dragons ;) ..

this is looking very promising. If it plays as good as it looks then this will be an essential LIVE purchase for me.